Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2016/01/26 22:58:59 UTC

More, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

> If you are explicitly configuring the APR connector and the APR
> library (or some required dependency -- e.g. OpenSSL -- then Tomcat
> will not start.

to which I just replied:
 > This is quite literally straight out of apache-tomcat-7.0.67.zip.
 > We're currently using 7.0.54 on our own AS/400, and we have customer
 > boxes anywhere from 7.0.47 to 7.0.62. And we use JSSE for SSL.

I just noticed something about my original email.

Somehow, the crucial exception itself got missed when I was cutting and
pasting from the terminal session into the email, which suggests.

Immediately following the INFO message about APR came the exceptions and
stack traces, reproduced here:

--
JHHL

SOLVED, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
> You found the right documentation page.  Update the JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener entry in your conf/server.xml to look like this:
>
> <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener"
>            xmlParsingProtection="false" />

Thanks, Messrs. Caldarale, Thomas, and Schultz. The above change worked
(by then, I'd just barely caught on that it was probably in server.xml,
but had no ready example of the syntax for the change), and within about
a minute of my launching with my standard Tomcat-launcher CL program
(following the usual IBM Midrange naming conventions, it's called
STRTOMCAT), the port opened, and I was able to connect to the default
ROOT context, and then to the Manager context.

Definitely adding that to my installation docs.

--
JHHL

RE: More, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: James H. H. Lampert [mailto:jamesl@touchtonecorp.com]
> Subject: Re: More, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

> On 1/26/16 2:25 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Setting xmlParsingProtection="false" on the
> > JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener should stop the exception.

> Ok, but how? Is there a way to do that from a configuration file? I'm
> looking at
> <https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/listeners.html> but I
> don't have a clue what to do with what I see.

You found the right documentation page.  Update the JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener entry in your conf/server.xml to look like this:

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener"
          xmlParsingProtection="false" />

 - Chuck

Re: More, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.
On 1/26/16 2:25 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Setting xmlParsingProtection="false" on the
> JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener should stop the exception.
>
> It looks like your XML implementation isn't compatible for the fix for
> that memory leak. I never did get to the root of what triggered the
> memory leak. It may be that your XML implementation doesn't suffer from
> it. Either a way a possible memory leak is probably better than a server
> that won't start.

Ok, but how? Is there a way to do that from a configuration file? I'm
looking at
<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/listeners.html> but I
don't have a clue what to do with what I see.

Please don't tell me that it's something that requires recompilation
from source. Assuming I could even get Tomcat to compile from source, I
wouldn't be inclined to trust my own build.

--
James H. H. Lampert

Re: More, Re: Tomcat 7.0.67 crashing on takeoff

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/01/2016 21:58, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
> On 1/26/16 12:55 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>
>> If you are explicitly configuring the APR connector and the APR
>> library (or some required dependency -- e.g. OpenSSL -- then Tomcat
>> will not start.
>
> to which I just replied:
>> This is quite literally straight out of apache-tomcat-7.0.67.zip.
>> We're currently using 7.0.54 on our own AS/400, and we have customer
>> boxes anywhere from 7.0.47 to 7.0.62. And we use JSSE for SSL.
>
> I just noticed something about my original email.
>
> Somehow, the crucial exception itself got missed when I was cutting and
> pasting from the terminal session into the email, which suggests.
>
> Immediately following the INFO message about APR came the exceptions and
> stack traces, reproduced here:

Setting xmlParsingProtection="false" on the
JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener should stop the exception.

It looks like your XML implementation isn't compatible for the fix for
that memory leak. I never did get to the root of what triggered the
memory leak. It may be that your XML implementation doesn't suffer from
it. Either a way a possible memory leak is probably better than a server
that won't start.

Mark