Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com> on 2011/01/08 00:50:08 UTC

Configuration Adminservice and MetatypeService

Hi

I have a question about the configuration admin service and it's
behavior if running together with the
metatype service. I always thought that if those two services are
running, the default configuration
for a managed service can be configured through the metatype service,
and therefore through
the metatype.xml available within the corresponding bundle.

Am I right with my current expectations?

Because right now I do face the issue that I do have some special
configuration configured through
the metatype.xml but not explicitly configured through fileinstall (or
in this special case through Karaf feature config entry).
This configuration is not taken into account.
Another thing that puzzles me is, that the current Felix Configuration
Admin doesn't have any dependencies to metatype service.

Am I totally wrong with my expectation? Do I need to configure my bundle
by myself with the default configurations
available for this bundle?

Any "enlightenment" is appreciated :)

Re: Configuration Adminservice and MetatypeService

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

IIRC Configuration Admin is not required to take default configuration
values from the Metatype service. At least, I cannot find such a notion
right now.

And yes, you are right, the Apache Felix Configuration Admin does not
care for the Metatype service or Metatype Data. It just provides to
ManagedService[Factory] services what explicitly has been configured.

I understand the Metatype service merely as a means to describe the
configuration properties such that Management Agents, such as the Web
Console, can easily render GUIs to set configurations.

Regards
Felix

Am Freitag, den 07.01.2011, 23:50 +0000 schrieb Achim Nierbeck:
> Hi
>
> I have a question about the configuration admin service and it's
> behavior if running together with the
> metatype service. I always thought that if those two services are
> running, the default configuration
> for a managed service can be configured through the metatype service,
> and therefore through
> the metatype.xml available within the corresponding bundle.
>
> Am I right with my current expectations?
>
> Because right now I do face the issue that I do have some special
> configuration configured through
> the metatype.xml but not explicitly configured through fileinstall (or
> in this special case through Karaf feature config entry).
> This configuration is not taken into account.
> Another thing that puzzles me is, that the current Felix Configuration
> Admin doesn't have any dependencies to metatype service.
>
> Am I totally wrong with my expectation? Do I need to configure my bundle
> by myself with the default configurations
> available for this bundle?
>
> Any "enlightenment" is appreciated :)

fmeschbe@adobe.com
+41 61 226 98 44