Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Campbell <pw...@u.washington.edu> on 2004/07/15 01:07:57 UTC

keyword substitution

Newbie  but I searched archive and FAQ

I have been using $Id$ with CVS for a java project.
Just migrated to Subersion. ( only a few lumps )
It has been nice to see who/when the file was last updated.

I purchased ( and read ) the Subervsion book ( o'reilly )

Yes, I see on pg 151 where I can set a property on a specific file,
but I want the property for all files

svn propset svn:keywords "Id"

where the files are in different packages ( aka directories )

There must be a way to set this keyword globally, isn't there ?

Re: Keywords $LastChangedDate$ and $Id$ didn't work

Posted by Erik <e....@finmatica.com>.
Brad Rhoads wrote:
> But $LastChangedDate$ and $Id$ didn't work. Doesn't the auto-props apply to
> them? Do I have a typo? Something else?

	remove the quotes.
	you should have a line like this:
		*.txt = svn:keywords=URL Rev Date Author

my 0.02€

Erik

Keywords $LastChangedDate$ and $Id$ didn't work

Posted by Brad Rhoads <br...@zethcon.com>.

After following the recent threads, I finally see the relationship between
the config file and keyword substitution (and the global-ignores). The
config file only relates to the clients and should be kept in sync.

I made these changes to my config:

### Section for configuring miscelleneous Subversion options.
[miscellany]
### Set global-ignores to a set of whitespace-delimited globs
### which Subversion will ignore in its 'status' output.
global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~ .#* .DS_Store *.exe
 . . .
enable-auto-props = yes

. . .

[auto-props]

. . .

*.* = svn:keywords="LastChangedDate LastChangedRevision LastChangedBy
HeadURL Id"

I created a new file, added the keywords and did a commit. And it patly
worked.  I ended up with:

/*
 * $LastChangedDate$
 * $LastChangedRevision: 40 $
 * $LastChangedBy: brad $
 * $HeadURL:
file:///D:/svnroot/synapse/websynapse/trunk/WEB-INF/classes/com/monolith/web
app/Constants_1.java $
 * $Id$
 */

But $LastChangedDate$ and $Id$ didn't work. Doesn't the auto-props apply to
them? Do I have a typo? Something else?

I'm using 1.0.5, Win 2003 server, XP client (TortoiseSVN).

Re: keyword substitution

Posted by Michael W Thelen <th...@cs.utah.edu>.
* Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us> [2004-07-14 20:53]:
> >svn propset svn:keywords "Id"
> >
> >where the files are in different packages ( aka directories )
> >
> >There must be a way to set this keyword globally, isn't there ?
>
> Kinda but not really. You can use autoprops to have every committed file
> (or every file matching a file mask you specify) get the property
> attached, but autoprops have to be set on each client. There's no way to
> specify it server-side.

Additionally, auto-props only cause the property to be set on files or
directories as they are added to the repository.  If you want svn:keywords to
be set on files that already exist in the repository, you'll have to set it
yourself for each one.  (And unfortunately, as I just found out today, "svn
propset" does not take a URL, so you'll have to check the files out and use
"svn propset" in a working copy.)

-- Mike

--
Michael W. Thelen
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.

Re: keyword substitution

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.