Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jon Brisbin <br...@ipa.net> on 2001/02/25 22:48:04 UTC

not enough resources??

I'm running c1.8.2 and tomcat 3.1 on jdk 1.3 on one of those rack-space
shared servers out in the ether and i'm having trouble with it...i'm
wondering if they don't have a cap on my resources and it's preventing me
from making a database connection (mm.mysql jdbc)...specifically, i get a
weird error message at the following page:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error opening connection to dburl:
jdbc:mysql://...ip.../dbname?user=xxx&password=xxx
	at
_home._cust1._usr1015._html._member_login.populateDocument(_member_login.jav
a:209)
	at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.getDocument(XSPPage.java:97)
	at
org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProcessor.java:527)
	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:384)
	at
	at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
	at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
	at
)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

it works perfectly on my development machine here at home (err, the
office...whichever ;-), even though the database is on another machine on
the internet (and the connection is made through my local lan)...but gives
me this error on the live machine.  i also tried this on the startcom.org
free server i've got and get the same error.

if you pull up Cocoon.xml, i see a 10MB heap size, with 4.8MB free...that
would seem to me like enough to at least create a database connection...and
there's not much in the store yet...

in contrast, my development machine has a 5MB heap size with only 1MB free,
but i have no problems making a connection...maybe they're throttling cpu
usage??  i tried the pooling feature, but it was giving me fits (driver not
implemented...but i just saw something about that on the list the other
day)...

any ideas??

Jon Brisbin
www.jbrisbin.net

RE: not enough resources??

Posted by Jon Brisbin <br...@ipa.net>.
I'm pretty sure that's what it was (usage throttling)...but I followed the
suggestion of previous posts about changing DBMySQL to DBMM and I changed
the "default" label in the connection pool properties to something more
descriptive and it works...not sure why, though...

Jon Brisbin
www.jbrisbin.net

blah> -----Original Message-----
blah> From: Jon Brisbin [mailto:brisbin@ipa.net]
blah> Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 3:48 PM
blah> To: Cocoon-Users@Xml. Apache. Org
blah> Subject: not enough resources??
blah>
blah>
blah> I'm running c1.8.2 and tomcat 3.1 on jdk 1.3 on one of those
blah> rack-space
blah> shared servers out in the ether and i'm having trouble with it...i'm
blah> wondering if they don't have a cap on my resources and it's
blah> preventing me
blah> from making a database connection (mm.mysql
blah> jdbc)...specifically, i get a
blah> weird error message at the following page:
blah>
blah> java.lang.RuntimeException: Error opening connection to dburl:
blah> jdbc:mysql://...ip.../dbname?user=xxx&password=xxx
blah> 	at
blah> _home._cust1._usr1015._html._member_login.populateDocument(_me
blah> mber_login.jav
blah> a:209)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.getDocument(XSPPage.java:97)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPProcessor.process(XSPProces
blah> sor.java:527)
blah> 	at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java:384)
blah> 	at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.service(Cocoon.java:183)
blah> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWra
blah> pper.java:503)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processCo
blah> nnection(HttpC
blah> onnectionHandler.java:160)
blah> 	at
blah> org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEnd
blah> point.java:338
blah> )
blah> 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
blah>
blah>
blah> it works perfectly on my development machine here at home (err, the
blah> office...whichever ;-), even though the database is on
blah> another machine on
blah> the internet (and the connection is made through my local
blah> lan)...but gives
blah> me this error on the live machine.  i also tried this on the
blah> startcom.org
blah> free server i've got and get the same error.
blah>
blah> if you pull up Cocoon.xml, i see a 10MB heap size, with 4.8MB
blah> free...that
blah> would seem to me like enough to at least create a database
blah> connection...and
blah> there's not much in the store yet...
blah>
blah> in contrast, my development machine has a 5MB heap size with
blah> only 1MB free,
blah> but i have no problems making a connection...maybe they're
blah> throttling cpu
blah> usage??  i tried the pooling feature, but it was giving me
blah> fits (driver not
blah> implemented...but i just saw something about that on the list
blah> the other
blah> day)...
blah>
blah> any ideas??
blah>
blah> Jon Brisbin
blah> www.jbrisbin.net
blah>
blah>
blah> Please check that your question has not already been answered in the
blah> FAQ before posting. <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faqs.html>
blah>
blah> To unsubscribe, e-mail: <co...@xml.apache.org>
blah> For additional commands, e-mail: <co...@xml.apache.org>