Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com> on 2011/09/22 21:41:20 UTC

FairScheduler Local Task Restriction

Hello All,

I have recently switched my small Hadoop dev cluster (v0.20.1) to use the FairScheduler.  I have a max of 128 map tasks available and recently noticed that my jobs seem to use a maximum of 16 at any given time (the job I am looking at in particular runs for about 15 minutes) - they are also all data local map tasks.  I searched around a bit and discovered the mapred.fairscheduler.locality.delay may be to blame.  I set it to 0 in mapred-site.xml, copied the file around to my nodes and tried running another job.  It still has 16 tasks.

Does it require a cluster restart?  Is it something totally different?  Should I not set this value to zero?

Thanks!

-- Adam

RE: FairScheduler Local Task Restriction

Posted by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com>.
I don't have much control over the cluster configuration, but I will speak with those that do.  As far as the input splits are concerned, I will look into some custom CombinedInputFormat stuff.

Thank you both very much!

--  Adam

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.

Posted by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com>.

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.

Posted by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com>.
It is enabled -- I'll try disabling it.  The job runs over a large number of files that are relatively the size of an HDFS block, so less splits isn't much of an option.

Do you have assign multiple enabled in the fair scheduler? Event that
may not be able to keep up if the tasks are only taking 10 seconds.
Any way you could run the job with less splits?

Joseph Echeverria
Cloudera, Inc.
443.305.9434

-----

Re: FairScheduler Local Task Restriction

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com>.

Posted by Adam Shook <as...@clearedgeit.com>.

Posted by "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <ma...@monsanto.com>.