Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/03/19 22:36:39 UTC

[VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Please review and vote for releasing Mahout 0.1.  This is our first
release and is all new code.

The artifacts in are located in:
http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/staging-repo/mahout/org/apache/mahout/

The mahout directory contains a tarball/zip of the whole project (for
building from source)
The core, examples and taste-web directories contain the artifacts for
each of those components.
The other directories contain various dependencies and artifacts.

Thanks,
Grant

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Just realized, I didn't add my +1, although it seems implied since I
produced the candidate.

Anyway, +1

-Grant

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Finished in 8 mins for me with Maven 2.1.0-M1, so part of it must be a
bug fix. That's still a while for simple packaging and those warnings
are weird, but it works. +1 again.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
I was running mvn install with my old version of maven and killed it
after half an hour. I updated maven to 2.0.10 and the install took only
6 minutes, even with a dvd playing in the foreground.

+1

Jeff

Sean Owen wrote:
> It's still building / installing for me (anybody have a clue what is
> taking so long to package?), but assuming that passes, +1. It is most
> certainly 'close enough' for an 0.1 release in my book.
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> You have to do mvn install from the top first, see:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/BuildingMahout
>>
>> On Mar 19, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Jeff Eastman wrote:
>>

>>> I downloaded the tarball and extracted it, then ran mvn test. It seems to
>>> be missing one artifact. Here's the output:
>>>
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] Building Mahout examples
>>> [INFO]    task-segment: [test]
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] [resources:resources]
>>> [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
>>> [INFO] Copying 0 resource
>>> [INFO] [resources:copy-resources {execution: copy-resources}]
>>> [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
>>> [INFO] Copying 3 resources
>>> [INFO] [compiler:compile]
>>> [INFO] Compiling 93 source files to
>>> /Users/jeff/Desktop/mahout-0.1/examples/target/classes
>>> [INFO] [resources:testResources]
>>> [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
>>> [INFO] Copying 3 resources
>>> Downloading:
>>> http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/apache/mahout/mahout-core/0.1/mahout-core-0.1-tests.jar
>>> Downloading:
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/mahout/mahout-core/0.1/mahout-core-0.1-tests.jar

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
>> tar: A lone zero block at 14473
>
> I assume you are on a Mac?  I get that too, but it always seems to be fine.

Nope, it's OpenSuSE (Linux), 64-bit. I've seen these warnins with gzip and
bzip-compressed tar files occasionally, but they never meant anything that would
indicate data corruption.

D.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 20, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> Hi guys. Not much activity from me -- really ashamed of it, but
> swamped in other duties. Anyway, downloaded mahout-0.1-
> project.tar.bz2 and (OpenSuSE 10.3):
>
> tar -jxf *.bz2
>
> gives a warning:
>
> tar: A lone zero block at 14473

I assume you are on a Mac?  I get that too, but it always seems to be
fine.

> Running mvn:install (Maven 2.0.9) hangs for a long time on one of
> the test cases and takes a total of 15 minutes, 16 seconds on my
> machine. I didn't see any lag during packaging.

-DskipTests=true can speed things up if you don't care about the tests
at any particular point.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: No, more about how the source release is produced and used. From where
: I come the source release is the exact set of bits that the release
: manager is using to build any additional release artifacts. So by
: definition it can't be a build target among others. Having a build
: target produce the source package can easily miss something or

+1 ... I remember suggesting something along these lines for lucene-java a
while back: create the source tgz, then unpack it and use it to create the
binary tgz.  (IIRC, we had a problem once where the one of hte build files
was being excluded from the release, so you couldn't build the demo)

-Hoss

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> I will fix these and generate a new candidate

OK, good. Let me know if you need a hand with those, I have a lot (too
much :-) of experience digging through license files.

> You mean about the size?  I figured this is a 0.1 release, so we're not
> going to put too much into packaging just yet.  I picked the easiest mvn
> target that produced something reasonable for people to use.

No, more about how the source release is produced and used. From where
I come the source release is the exact set of bits that the release
manager is using to build any additional release artifacts. So by
definition it can't be a build target among others. Having a build
target produce the source package can easily miss something or
introduce extra stuff like the build and test directories that Maven
picked up for this release candidate.

But as mentioned in the Nutch release vote, that's just a preference,
not something over which I'd -1 a release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 22, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
> Based on a quick look all the licensing stuff seems to be pretty much
> in order. However, note the following:
>
> * The copyright year in NOTICE.txt should be 2009, not 2007
>
> * The main purpose of the NOTICE.txt file is to list the copyright
> attributions other notes required by the licenses of external
> software. For example, as required by the respective license, the
> entry for the xpp3 package should include the copyright notice
> "Copyright (c) 2002 Extreme! Lab, Indiana University" in addition to
> the already existing part ("This product includes..."). Something like
> the following should be fine:
>
>    This product includes software developed by the Indiana University
>    Extreme! Lab (http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/).
>    Copyright (c) 2002 Extreme! Lab, Indiana University.

I will fix these and generate a new candidate

> Also, some notes about the release structure:
>
> * The mahout-0.1-project packages contain the following entries not
> included in svn:
>
>    Only in mahout-0.1/core: build
>    Only in mahout-0.1/core: input
>    Only in mahout-0.1/examples: input
>    Only in mahout-0.1/examples: output

Hmm, that's odd.  I'll look into it.  They can safely be ignored.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Please review and vote for releasing Mahout 0.1.  This is our first release
> and is all new code.

-0 I get the following test failures on "mvn install":

    Running org.apache.mahout.ga.watchmaker.MahoutEvaluatorTest
    Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.896 sec <<< FAILURE!
    Running org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.TestKmeansClustering
    Tests run: 5, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.748 sec <<< FAILURE!
    Running org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation
    Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 7, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.951 sec <<< FAILURE!
    Running org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.TestMeanShift
    Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.66 sec <<< FAILURE!
    Running org.apache.mahout.clustering.fuzzykmeans.TestFuzzyKmeansClustering
    Tests run: 6, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.747 sec <<< FAILURE!

I'm on Windows, running Maven 2.0.9 on Sun Java 1.6.0_03. Most of the
failures (see the end of this message for full details) seem
system-specific, so I'm not voting -1. Anyway, I don't feel
comfortable voting +1 when I see test failures.

[...]

Test set: org.apache.mahout.ga.watchmaker.MahoutEvaluatorTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.897
sec <<< FAILURE!
testEvaluate(org.apache.mahout.ga.watchmaker.MahoutEvaluatorTest)
Time elapsed: 0.717 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.ga.watchmaker.MahoutEvaluator.evaluate(MahoutEvaluator.java:70)
        at org.apache.mahout.ga.watchmaker.MahoutEvaluatorTest.testEvaluate(MahoutEvaluatorTest.java:49)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 31 more

Test set: org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.TestKmeansClustering
Tests run: 5, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.749
sec <<< FAILURE!
testKMeansMRJob(org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.TestKmeansClustering)
 Time elapsed: 0.477 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: output dir exists?
        at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.TestKmeansClustering.testKMeansMRJob(TestKmeansClustering.java:412)

Test set: org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation
Tests run: 19, Failures: 0, Errors: 7, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.95
sec <<< FAILURE!
testCanopyGenManhattanMR(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.245 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testCanopyGenManhattanMR(TestCanopyCreation.java:475)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 31 more

testCanopyGenEuclideanMR(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.084 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testCanopyGenEuclideanMR(TestCanopyCreation.java:511)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 31 more

testClusteringManhattanMR(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.08 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyClusteringJob.runJob(CanopyClusteringJob.java:50)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testClusteringManhattanMR(TestCanopyCreation.java:681)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 32 more

testClusteringEuclideanMR(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.076 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyClusteringJob.runJob(CanopyClusteringJob.java:50)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testClusteringEuclideanMR(TestCanopyCreation.java:709)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 32 more

testClusteringManhattanMRWithPayload(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.109 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyClusteringJob.runJob(CanopyClusteringJob.java:50)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testClusteringManhattanMRWithPayload(TestCanopyCreation.java:739)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 32 more

testClusteringEuclideanMRWithPayload(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.085 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyClusteringJob.runJob(CanopyClusteringJob.java:50)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testClusteringEuclideanMRWithPayload(TestCanopyCreation.java:771)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 32 more

testUserDefinedDistanceMeasure(org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation)
 Time elapsed: 0.075 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.IOException: Failed to get the current user's information.
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:717)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.configureCommandLineOptions(JobClient.java:592)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:788)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1142)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.CanopyDriver.runJob(CanopyDriver.java:80)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.canopy.TestCanopyCreation.testUserDefinedDistanceMeasure(TestCanopyCreation.java:802)
Caused by: javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
Expect one token as the result of whoami: oiva\jukka zitting
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:250)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UnixUserGroupInformation.login(UnixUserGroupInformation.java:275)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.getUGI(JobClient.java:715)
        ... 31 more

Test set: org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.TestMeanShift
Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.661
sec <<< FAILURE!
testCanopyEuclideanMRJob(org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.TestMeanShift)
 Time elapsed: 0.309 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.io.FileNotFoundException: File output/canopies-0/part-00000 does not exist.
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.getFileStatus(RawLocalFileSystem.java:420)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.getFileStatus(FilterFileSystem.java:244)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getLength(FileSystem.java:679)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.SequenceFile$Reader.<init>(SequenceFile.java:1417)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.SequenceFile$Reader.<init>(SequenceFile.java:1412)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.MeanShiftCanopyJob.isConverged(MeanShiftCanopyJob.java:103)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.MeanShiftCanopyJob.runJob(MeanShiftCanopyJob.java:82)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.meanshift.TestMeanShift.testCanopyEuclideanMRJob(TestMeanShift.java:336)

Test set: org.apache.mahout.clustering.fuzzykmeans.TestFuzzyKmeansClustering
Tests run: 6, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.747
sec <<< FAILURE!
testFuzzyKMeansMRJob(org.apache.mahout.clustering.fuzzykmeans.TestFuzzyKmeansClustering)
 Time elapsed: 0.444 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: output dir exists?
        at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
        at org.apache.mahout.clustering.fuzzykmeans.TestFuzzyKmeansClustering.testFuzzyKMeansMRJob(TestFuzzyKmeansClustering.java:254)

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Mahout 0.1