Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eric Hubert <er...@gmx.de> on 2001/10/12 13:16:36 UTC

mod_webapp and Apache 2.0

Hi,

I'd like to get Apache 2.0 with mod_webapp to run under SuSe Linux 7.2 with
updated
Kernel to 2.4.10.

So I compiled the Apache 2.0.26 dev from cvs mit the following config:
./configure \
  --with-apxs \
  --enable-mods-shared=all \
  --disable-auth-db \
  --disable-auth-dbm \
  --disable-cgid \
  --disable-suexec \
  --enable-ssl=shared

I don't know whether it is important for the whole thing, but I'd like to
mention
that mod_ssl doesnt work, so I did not let Apache load this module and that
extended Apache with mod_perl 1.99_01-dev (Perl v5.7.2) from latest snapshot
and
mod_php (PHP 4.0.8-dev) from cvs). As far as I recognized it, both modules
seem to
work pretty good.

I've installed the binary release version of tomcat 4.0 and it works fine as
a standalone server.

Now I obtained the cvs version of jakarta-tomcat-connector and tried to
build
mod_webapp.so as described in README.txt in the webapp folder.
During the run of ./support/buildconf.sh I got the following output:
/usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 142: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
/usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 372: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'

I didn't know what to do so I went on configuring and compiling without
any erros (./configure --with-apxs).
So I copied apache-2.0/.lib/mod_webapp.so to Apache's modules directory
and added the LoadModule directive to httpd.conf.
Without adding any other lines I tested with
apachectl configtest
and I got a Syntax OK
so I moved on adding the following 3 lines to the httpd.conf

WebAppConnection  warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples
WebAppInfo info

and rerun the configtest. Now I got the following error
Syntax error on line 251 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid virtual host name

Line 251 is:
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples

I hope someone could show me the right way. If I should tell you
more infos about anything please let me know.

Perhaps you need to know that:
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
automake (GNU automake) 1.5
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4

With any other combination I got troubles building the php module.

OFFTOPIC:
If someone knows hot to configure apache 2.0 for mod_ssl I would
be very happy about an direct mail.
I compiled the module without any error but get the following
error if I try to start apache with mod_ssl loaded:
Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
/usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so: undefined symbol: X509_free

Thank you very much for all your help!
	Eric Hubert

RE: mod_webapp and Apache 2.0

Posted by Eric Hubert <er...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> Check the resulting configure, but I don't think you'll be able
> to recognize if something really went wrong.
Your absolutely right. :))

> "For reasons unknown", mod_webapp needs to have server name set
> explicitly. You must have "ServerName <your.server.name>" before
> those directives.
Thanks for that hint. "before those directives" was the solution.

Re: mod_webapp and Apache 2.0

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> I've installed the binary release version of tomcat 4.0 and it works fine as
> a standalone server.

Good.

> Now I obtained the cvs version of jakarta-tomcat-connector and tried to
> build
> mod_webapp.so as described in README.txt in the webapp folder.
> During the run of ./support/buildconf.sh I got the following output:
> /usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 142: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'
> /usr/bin/m4: configure.in: 372: Non-numeric argument to built-in `divert'

Check the resulting configure, but I don't think you'll be able to recognize if something really went wrong.

> I didn't know what to do so I went on configuring and compiling without
> any erros (./configure --with-apxs).
> So I copied apache-2.0/.lib/mod_webapp.so to Apache's modules directory
> and added the LoadModule directive to httpd.conf.
> Without adding any other lines I tested with
> apachectl configtest
> and I got a Syntax OK

That doesn't mean much. I've had both mod_jk and mod_webapp pass the configtest and yet crash Apache 1.3.20 mercilessly.

> so I moved on adding the following 3 lines to the httpd.conf
>
> WebAppConnection  warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples
> WebAppInfo info
>
> and rerun the configtest. Now I got the following error
> Syntax error on line 251 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid virtual host name

"For reasons unknown", mod_webapp needs to have server name set explicitly. You must have "ServerName <your.server.name>" before those directives.

> OFFTOPIC:
> If someone knows hot to configure apache 2.0 for mod_ssl I would
> be very happy about an direct mail.
> I compiled the module without any error but get the following
> error if I try to start apache with mod_ssl loaded:
> Syntax error on line 224 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server:
> /usr/local/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so: undefined symbol: X509_free

X509_* symbols are defined in libssl.a and libssl.so. My guess is that mod_ssl.so was built with shared instead of static libssl.so OR it was build without OpenSSL ever installed. Anyway, you're either missing that lib from your standard lib dirs or it is not installed at all.

Nix.

RE: mod_webapp and Apache 2.0

Posted by Eric Hubert <er...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> I just had this problem yesterday with 1.3.20. Define ServerName in
> httpd.conf. It seems if you don't have that defined or a VirtualHost,
> then mod_webapp won't load.

Thanks for your quick reply, but I've defined a ServerName in
httpd.conf. At the moment I don't use any VirtualHost. The whole
"Section 3: Virtual Hosts" is commented out.

Any further ideas?

Re: mod_webapp and Apache 2.0

Posted by "Lloyd H. Meinholz" <me...@bmpcoe.org>.
I just had this problem yesterday with 1.3.20. Define ServerName in
httpd.conf. It seems if you don't have that defined or a VirtualHost,
then mod_webapp won't load.

Lloyd