Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/06/11 03:08:49 UTC

apreq2 buildconf issues

when running ./buildconf

removing stale config files
running libtoolize --automake --copy --force
running aclocal
running autoconf
running automake -a -c
automake: configure.ac: installing `build/install-sh'
automake: configure.ac: installing `build/mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.ac: installing `build/missing'
configure.ac: 193: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found
configure.ac: 193: installing `build/config.guess'
configure.ac: 193: installing `build/config.sub'
src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'

is that OK?

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>Looks good up to here.
>>

>>>configure.ac: 193: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found
>>
>>build/ltmain.sh should be generated by automake;
>

> Correction- it should be generated by
>
>   libtoolize --automake --copy --force

ok

> along with build/config.guess and build/config.sub.
>
>   % libtoolize --version
>   libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.4.2

same here:

% libtoolize --version
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 1.4.2

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> I meant, can autoconf tools automatically assert, saying:
>
>    You have automake version foo, and version bar is required, aborting...

Autoconf has AC_PREREQ, which we do use.  I'll look through
the automake & libtool docs for a similar macro.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>I can certainly do that. But are you sure that it's a good idea?
>

> As developers, we often make silly demands of one another :-)

You didn't understand me. I meant that it'd be a good idea for me to keep the
old version, in case we decide to support it, so there is someone who can test
that things keep on working. Since we now agree that this is needed only for
developers, I'm going ahead and upgrading my automake.

>>I mean I can do the testing with older versions unless you decide that
>>they aren't supported, in which case can require a minimal version and
>>assert with a usefull error message if the requirement is not
>>satisfied?
>

> It's not about putting "support requirements" on the build system,
> it's about keeping the build system convenient for the developers
> who build it.  We certainly would benefit from having those requirements
> made explicit in both buildconf and README.

I meant, can autoconf tools automatically assert, saying:

   You have automake version foo, and version bar is required, aborting...

or do you have to code to make this check?

>>Of course this issue is moot if users normally won't need to run automake,
>>assuming that you make sure to generate all the necessary files for releases.
>

> Right- the release manager needs to ensure that a ./configure script is
> available in the distribution (which reminds me that I didn't remember
> to do that for 1.2_rc2).

probably a good idea to add this note to the release notes doc (See the
RELEASE file I have added just recently to modperl-2.0/RELEASE, perhaps you
can re-use chunks of it).

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>% automake
>>src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'
>>
>>% ./configure
>>
>>now succeeds
>

> [...]
>

>>% automake --version
>>automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
>

> Ok, now we're getting somewhere:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake-1.6.1/html_node/automake_23.html
>
> So you probably need to upgrade your automake package to 1.6:
>
>   % rpm -q automake
>   automake-1.6.3-1
>
>   % rpm -q libtool
>   libtool-1.4.2-12

I can certainly do that. But are you sure that it's a good idea? I mean I can

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe Schaefer wrote:
>

> [...]
>

>>>Is the file actually there, and just not being recognized?
>>
>>No, it's not there:
>

> Boggle.  If commenting out (via dnl)
>
>   AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(build)
>
> from configure.ac works for you, please commit the change,
> or let me know and I'll commit it.  That macro is certainly
> not worth this much headache.
>
> Thanks, Stas.

committed. I can build the lib now.

Next the ../build/test_config.pl script:

perl ../build/test_config.pl -apxs /home/stas/httpd/prefork/bin/apxs
Creating t/conf directory. at ../build/test_config.pl line 54.
cannot build c-modules without apxs
generating conf/mime.types
generating htdocs/index.html
generating conf/httpd.conf
generating TEST
cd c-modules && make all
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2/env/c-modules'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2/env/c-modules'
make[1]: *** [cmodules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2/env'
make: *** [env_test] Error 2

it seems that it doesn't pass the -apxs argument

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

[...]

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>I still have the missing file problem:
>>
>>% automake
>>aclocal.m4:817: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found
>

>   % cvs co httpd-apreq-2
>   % cd httpd-apreq-2; ls build
>   CVS README test_config.pl xsbuilder.pl
>   % libtoolize --automake --copy --force
>   % ls build
>   config.guess  config.sub  CVS  ltmain.sh
>   README        test_config.pl   xsbuilder.pl
>
> Is the file actually there, and just not being recognized?

No, it's not there:

/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2> libtoolize --automake --copy --force
/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2> l build/
config.guess*   CVS/            install-sh*     mkinstalldirs*  test_config.pl
config.sub*     depcomp*        missing*        README          xsbuilder.pl

> If that's the case, you probably need more GNU upgrades.
> Hmm, how's your autoconf?
>
>   % rpm -q autoconf
>   autoconf-2.53-8

autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.53

Actually I have 2.53 and 2.13, Mandrake has a wrapper that decides which one
to invoke based on a few things, one of which the existence of configure.ac.
so running autoconf --version inside httpd-apreq-2 picks 2.53.

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>% automake
>>src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'
>>
>>% ./configure
>>
>>now succeeds
>

> [...]
>

>>% automake --version
>>automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6
>

> Ok, now we're getting somewhere:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake-1.6.1/html_node/automake_23.html
>
> So you probably need to upgrade your automake package to 1.6:
>
>   % rpm -q automake
>   automake-1.6.3-1
>
>   % rpm -q libtool
>   libtool-1.4.2-12

/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2> rpm -q libtool
libtool-1.4.2-9mdk
/home/stas/apache.org/httpd-apreq-2> rpm -q automake
automake-1.6.3-5

I still have the missing file problem:

% automake
aclocal.m4:817: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found

moreover now I get 'make' to enter endless loop, starting with:
/bin/sh ./config.status --recheck

I think this is because of the target:
all-redirect: all-recursive
which gets into a loop somewhere.

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> % automake
> src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'
>
> % ./configure
>
> now succeeds

[...]

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>

>>when running ./buildconf
>>
>>removing stale config files
>>running libtoolize --automake --copy --force
>>running aclocal
>>running autoconf
>>running automake -a -c
>>automake: configure.ac: installing `build/install-sh'
>>automake: configure.ac: installing `build/mkinstalldirs'
>>automake: configure.ac: installing `build/missing'
>

> Looks good up to here.
>

>>configure.ac: 193: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found
>

> build/ltmain.sh should be generated by automake;

Generated? It's automake that complains about it, how could it be generated by it?

% automake
configure.ac: 193: required file `build/ltmain.sh' not found
src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'

> Do you have a stale (deleted from cvs) configure.in
> file in your base directory?

no, I don't have it.

> Also, you might try commenting out
>
>   AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(build)
>
> (putting "dnl" at the front of the line should work)
> from configure.ac and see if that helps.

done:

% automake
src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'

% ./configure

now succeeds

>>configure.ac: 193: installing `build/config.guess'
>>configure.ac: 193: installing `build/config.sub'
>>src/Makefile.am:5: invalid variable `nobase_include_HEADERS'
>>
>>is that OK?
>

> No, it's probably not OK.  Here's what happens for me:
>
>   % cvs co httpd-apreq-2
>   % cd httpd-apreq-2
>   % ./buildconf
>   removing stale config files
>   running libtoolize --automake --copy --force
>   running aclocal
>   running autoconf
>   running automake -a -c
>   configure.ac: installing `build/install-sh'
>   configure.ac: installing `build/mkinstalldirs'
>   configure.ac: installing `build/missing'
>   env/Makefile.am: installing `build/depcomp'
>   buildconf successful.
>   %
>
> What's you're automake version?  Mine's 1.6.3.

% automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.4-p6

% libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.2 (1.922.2.53 2001/09/11 03:18:52)

Re: apreq2 buildconf issues

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.