Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Roger Hoover <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/21 23:02:56 UTC

STOMP redelivery policy

Is there any way to configure maximumRedeliveries for a STOMP connection?

I ran tests against 5.2 and 4.1.1 and both redeliver the message
infinitely.  This causes consumers to keep choking over and over again on
the same message unless the consumers implement their own maxRetries logic.

It looks like this same issue has been brought up before (
http://www.nabble.com/Maximum-redeliveries-td17180816.html) but I'm
wondering if anything has changed since then (May '08).  For
ActiveMessaging, it looks like Andrew implemented his own max retry logic (
https://trac-git.assembla.com/breakout/browser/vendor/plugins/activemessaging/lib/activemessaging/adapters/stomp.rb?rev=a288646f5565a84e1358d827e889b13ea73abca4
)

Thanks,

Roger

Re: STOMP redelivery policy

Posted by Roger Hoover <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

I don't have any information about ActiveMQ itself but in my own python
STOMP client, when an exception is thrown while processing a message, I have
the client enqueue a copy of the message on an error queue and ACK the
original message to the broker.  The gotcha you to watch out for when doing
is it to make sure you pass only the original "message-id" header.  It will
mask the new header that gets assigned by the broker to the message in the
error queue and you'll later get an error when you read from the error queue
and try to ACK that message.

HTH,

Roger

Re: STOMP redelivery policy