Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de> on 2005/08/15 20:37:31 UTC

[configuration] 1.1.1 maintenance release?

There was a question on the user list about a 1.1.1 release.

I think, this is a good idea, especially because there were some
problems in 1.1 with file based configurations and reloading strategies,
which (hopefully) have been fixed in the meantime. Making these
improvements officially available wouldn't be too bad, would it?

Opinions?

Oliver

Re: [configuration] 1.1.1 maintenance release?

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Oliver Heger wrote:

> My intention was to get out a release soon to make the fixes after the
> 1.1 release available to a larger user base. Because there are only few
> new features the version number 1.1.1 seemed to be appropriate.
>
> If you want to directly go to 1.2, what other changes would you like to
> incorporate? Or in other words: when could a 1.2 release happen?

I expected to include my INIConfiguration in the 1.2 release but it's
not ready yet, I don't mind postponing it to the 1.3 release. Looking at
the bug list I think the instance specific list delimiter (Bug 35828) is
worth considering for the next release. Besides that I'm satisfied with
the current state of [configuration], we could cut the first release
candidate early september and plan a final release in october.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [configuration] 1.1.1 maintenance release?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de> writes:

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>>[ ] can replace 1.1 without any user or developer visible changes: 1.1.1
>>[ ] might have some developers "gotchas" or user visible changes:  1.2
>>
>>IMHO.
>>

>Okay, then 1.2 would be the number of choice. Fine with me!

Note that this would be _my_ number of choice. I'd be upset if a version
number change from 1.1 (.0) to 1.1.1 would break my application. I'd expect
these versions to be interchangeable (i.e. 1.1.1 only a bug fix release).

1.2 would IMHO mean "watch out, some gotchas"

2.0 would mean "expect heavy breakage and code adjustments". :-)

	Regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [configuration] 1.1.1 maintenance release?

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Oliver Heger <he...@med.uni-marburg.de> writes:

>> I would rather aim directly toward a 1.2 release including the latest
>> enhancements, that sounds easier than managing a 1.1.x branch and a
>> 1.2.x branch given our limited resources. What fixes would you merge in
>> a 1.1.x branch ?

[...]

Posted by Oliver Heger <he...@med.uni-marburg.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.