Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Daniel Pocock <da...@readytechnology.co.uk> on 2007/11/26 14:42:21 UTC

ActiveMQ CMS and CPP on Debian?

Is anyone working on official Debian packages of ActiveMQ CMS and CPP?

It would be very convenient to have these available - if it is not already
happening, I am happy to contribute some effort towards this.

Regards,

Daniel

Re: ActiveMQ CMS and CPP on Debian?

Posted by Daniel Pocock <da...@readytechnology.co.uk>.

Timothy Bish wrote:
> I've looked around before, and like most things that involve autoconf,
> it was really confusing and made my head hurt, so I stopped looking  :)

I'm not sure about arranging the debian files in that way
(packages/debian) - but I will try it.

As for testing, I'll see if I can arrange access to a Debian machine, or
maybe a nightly build and package generation on one of my own machines.

I think this is really good stuff, and once it get's into Debian, other
people will link to it, which creates dependencies - that means there
will be more interest in the code, more troubleshooting and feedback, etc.

> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 10:24 -0500, Mittler, Nathan wrote:
>
>> Sounds great!
>>

>>> Great, that exactly right.  Then we can just add a target in
>>> the make file for debian (i.e. make debian) and that would
>>> allow a package maintainer to build a new one with each
>>> release.  Now if we could get the others, rpm, etc in there
>>> we could start getting the library out on repos for the
>>> various OS's.  One thought that I had was that we may want to
>>> nest the scripts etc under a directory like ./packages or
>>> something so that we can also nest files for RPMs etc in
>>> there, so we have something like:
>>>
>>> ./packages/debian
>>> ./packages/rpm
>>> etc.
>>>
>> Agreed - seems like a good approach.  Perhaps we could look to other
>> projects such as APR that might already have support for the various
>> packaging types?  I'll poke around a bit today and see what I can find.
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Tim.
>>>
>> Regards,
>> Nate

Ready Technology Limited
Incorporated in England and Wales, 4940731
Registered office: Devonshire House, 60 Goswell Rd, London, EC1M 7AD

RE: ActiveMQ CMS and CPP on Debian?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ti...@sensis.com>.

Posted by "Mittler, Nathan" <na...@sensis.com>.
Sounds great!

> Great, that exactly right.  Then we can just add a target in
> the make file for debian (i.e. make debian) and that would
> allow a package maintainer to build a new one with each
> release.  Now if we could get the others, rpm, etc in there
> we could start getting the library out on repos for the
> various OS's.  One thought that I had was that we may want to
> nest the scripts etc under a directory like ./packages or
> something so that we can also nest files for RPMs etc in
> there, so we have something like:
>
> ./packages/debian
> ./packages/rpm
> etc.

Agreed - seems like a good approach.  Perhaps we could look to other
projects such as APR that might already have support for the various
packaging types?  I'll poke around a bit today and see what I can find.

> Regards
> Tim.

Regards,
Nate

Re: ActiveMQ CMS and CPP on Debian?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ti...@sensis.com>.
Great, that exactly right.  Then we can just add a target in the make
file for debian (i.e. make debian) and that would allow a package
maintainer to build a new one with each release.  Now if we could get
the others, rpm, etc in there we could start getting the library out on
repos for the various OS's.  One thought that I had was that we may want
to nest the scripts etc under a directory like ./packages or something
so that we can also nest files for RPMs etc in there, so we have
something like:

./packages/debian
./packages/rpm
etc.

Great Work.

If you could create a Jira issue and attach your work with instruction
on usage etc, that would be great.  I can apply them once we've had a
chance to review them.

I'm not real familiar with Debian packaging, I was wondering how
scalable the scripts are?  Meaning how much work is it to change them to
add new files, dependencies etc?  The one issue I see is that we don't
have anyone running a Debian distro who would be able to test this with
each new release.

Regards
Tim.

Posted by Daniel Pocock <da...@readytechnology.co.uk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@twcny.rr.com>.

Posted by Daniel Pocock <da...@readytechnology.co.uk>.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@twcny.rr.com>.
There is not anyone working on this.  We don't currently have Debian
machines so its not really feasible for us to do this.  I would love to
find someone who would work on adding the ability to build rpm, debs and
solaris pkg files etc.  I just don't have time to devote to that.  It
would be good to get our libraries out there on some of the repo sites
so users could get them from yum, apt etc.

We welcome contributions

Regards
Tim.