Posted to dev@weex.apache.org by 王仁敏 <hn...@163.com> on 2019/07/04 08:48:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add Github MileStone When PR

Hi there,

As the transparency of Weex development is not enough now,even the developers in the community are not sure what features are added after an iteration, and when this iteration is released.

But Github Milestone can solve this problem.

Here are the benefits of milestones copyed from reference link 1:

A user-provided description of the milestone, which can include information like a project overview, relevant teams, and projected due dates

The milestone's due date

The milestone's completion percentage

The number of open and closed issues and pull requests associated with the milestone

A list of the open and closed issues and pull requests associated with the milestone

I think with the Milestone, developers in the community will know the progress of the project easily.

so I proposal that that all PRs must be associated with Github Milestone.

BTW, The milestone check can be added to Travis CI. If milestone is not included in the PR, the travis ci will build failed.

Best Wishes,

Renmin Wang

| |
王仁敏

hnhtwrm@163.com

签名由网易邮箱大师定制

Re: [DISCUSS] Add Github MileStone When PR

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Just to bring up an idea of a still lightweight, still Github based,
but already a bit more formal planning process:

Import all issues and PRs into a GitHub project boards, then decide
which ones are just "support/questions" (column) vs. work items.
Former are irrelevant here, latter go into a "backlog" (column). The
backlog then is prioritized, sorted, filtered to get to the "next"
(column) items (probably in some kind of meeting or discussion process
- this can be quite hard in a distributed work situation so maybe this
can be delegated to a few trusted parties of the community). The end
result then can be the basis for formal milestones that are used by
developers to select their work.

Of course this can get a _lot_ more fancy and process based - but with
cost of additional effort.

Posted by 申远 <sh...@gmail.com>.
As Jan said, I think “Let's plan our work in milestones based on issues and PRs” is what we need to achieve . This may not block Weex graduation, but it’s certainly worthy it.

This can separate into two questions:

1. What code will be included in next release?Is there a meeting or BDFL?
2. When will next release will be published? Is there any timetable?

For the first question, I think every committer can decide what will be included next release. Whoever merges a PR, then that PR would be included in next release. On one hand, it’s a good thing that every committer has equal right, on the other hand, it reflects the weex community lacks of long term roadmap, committers may just merge PRs or write PRs without long-term visions. BTW, we do have some offline meeting of core-committers, but we only talked about big issues in these meeting, like LGPL issue in Weex or Google would ban Apps without 64bit support in August, 2019.

For the second question, there is no timetable yet, but I think monthly release would benefit the contributors and users together. I’d like to make this happen unless it’s proven impractical.

I think we should focus on the first issue and balance short-term work (like fixing a crash) and long-term work. The github milestone mentioned here will make our short-term work more transparency. But for long-term roadmap, I don’t think GitHub milestone will help us organize that.

FYI: If you don’t mind, I’d like to suggest Renmin Wang switch to an email client with better format support. No offense.

Best Regards,
York Shen

申远

Re:Re: [DISCUSS] Add Github MileStone When PR

Posted by 王仁敏 <hn...@163.com>.

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 王仁敏 <hn...@163.com>.
在 2019-07-04 16:51:23,"王仁敏" <hn...@163.com> 写道: