Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/09/15 09:25:50 UTC

http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Hi,

Just went through the archives and am not sure, but we ended up with
nothing as far as the official plugins repo is concerned[*]. Unless
I'm mistaken, I wonder what it takes to create
http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins as another official repo? Just like
the devtools project has its own place we could (should?) create a
separate space for plugins.

I'd like to gather as much suggestions/opinions/advices as possible
before calling a vote.

WDYT?

[*] Just as I was writing it I came across this lovely quote: "After
all is said and done, more is said than done." by Aesop. Google's
awesome with its quote service. I need to keep it in mind before
taking part in a discussion. ;-)

Jacek
--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/15/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> > geronimoplugincentral.org -- this is is a plugin user community site
> > inspired by eclipseplugincentral.com that was announced to the dev
> > list a few weeks ago.  Where the thread left off was that there were
> > suggestions to host the site at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins
> > instead of a private domain.  I proposed a plan of action to make that
> > happen in the thread "plugin community site" and am ready for
> > feedback, assuming that +1's would equal support.
>
> Do we need a full-blown web site (with Joomla behind)? Wouldn't a
> maven-like structure be enough? Just to see how it goes and bring the
> jpa plugin here (where its home is ;-))

I think we are still misaligned here on the distinction between a
plugin repository and a plugin user community site.  If we are talking
about a repository then you are correct that a full blown web site is
not required.  A repository can be created by making the plugin files
available for download from a maven-like structure. No UI is even
necessary since the admin console already provides the necessary
screens to browse and install a repository's plugins.  But if we are
talking about a user community site which provides news, reviews and
discussion forums then a content management system like Joomla is
needed.  Unlike a repository, a user community site does not
(necessarily) host any plugin files nor interact with the admin
console.

If you already got this and I'm beating a dead horse then I apologize.
 Also, if I should take your line of thought as a nudge towards
aligning our efforts to create another "official" plugin repository
then I can go along with that too.  But after studying how the Eclipse
plugin ecosystem has taken shape I believe that a user community site
will be needed sooner or later since it provides a human interface on
top of what may eventually become a loosely federated collection of
plugin repositories, each with their own unique licensing issues,
download processes, business models, etc.

> > geronimo plugins subproject -- IIUC this proposed subproject is for
> > plugin developers and would be similar to the Geronimo plugins project
> > at sourceforge but hosted at ASF and governed by Geronimo (like
> > devtools).  Several folks have volunteered to help and I would also
> > like to take this opportunity to volunteer to help.  There's a thread
> > "maven repository hosting geronimo plugins" that proposes using the
> > maven repository for hosting the plugins generated by ASF instead of
> > creating a new infrastructure for hosting plugins. No feedback on that
> > idea yet.
>
> That's why I asked about it again. Everybody's busy so only the
> hottest features are able to survive, and the others need to be pushed
> a little ;-)

I agree and thanks for caring enough to push the issue.  If we can
publish the ASF plugins to the maven repo and add the repository index
file then I am hopeful that would provide what's needed for an ASF
plugin repository.  This seems pretty straight forward to me but I
haven't even read Maven for Dummies yet.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/15/06, Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jacek,  I see a couple of discussions going on in parallel:

Well, I should've seen them too, and I did in fact, but completely
forgot about them. Perhaps, it's time to start doing after
everything's said ;-)

> geronimoplugincentral.org -- this is is a plugin user community site
> inspired by eclipseplugincentral.com that was announced to the dev
> list a few weeks ago.  Where the thread left off was that there were
> suggestions to host the site at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins
> instead of a private domain.  I proposed a plan of action to make that
> happen in the thread "plugin community site" and am ready for
> feedback, assuming that +1's would equal support.

Do we need a full-blown web site (with Joomla behind)? Wouldn't a
maven-like structure be enough? Just to see how it goes and bring the
jpa plugin here (where its home is ;-))

> geronimo plugins subproject -- IIUC this proposed subproject is for
> plugin developers and would be similar to the Geronimo plugins project
> at sourceforge but hosted at ASF and governed by Geronimo (like
> devtools).  Several folks have volunteered to help and I would also
> like to take this opportunity to volunteer to help.  There's a thread
> "maven repository hosting geronimo plugins" that proposes using the
> maven repository for hosting the plugins generated by ASF instead of
> creating a new infrastructure for hosting plugins. No feedback on that
> idea yet.

That's why I asked about it again. Everybody's busy so only the
hottest features are able to survive, and the others need to be pushed
a little ;-)

> I see these two discussions as separate because they address two
> different communities -- plugin users vs. plugin developers.  But I
> wonder if you view them as the same since you allude to an official
> plugins subproject hosted at http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins ?

I don't know if they need to have their own repo. Just thinking out
loud and thinking we could separate them in a 'plugins' subdirectory
of the Geronimo repo pretty well, too. If they get large they could
become a subproject or a tlp project, whatever. I think we need to
make a home for them before people will scratch their heads where they
could be developed.

What I'm leaning toward is a very unideal yet working solution with
http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins and plugins subdirectory in place.
If/when we decide something better we'll change it.

Jacek

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
The way it works right now the catalog has to be called
geronimo-plugins.xml.   @see PluginInstallerGBean#listPlugins.   I
believe it can be in the branch of the tree as long as it contains a
<default-repository> element pointing at the root.  I haven't tried
that but expect it should work.

Paul

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 9/29/06, Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My main confusion right now is why the plugins built by geronimo
> aren't published in the snapshot repository. I expected :
> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/geronimo/configs/
> to look like my local repo
> ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/geronimo/configs
> Are the snapshot artifacts published selectively?

@see pom.xml:1205

Jacek

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:
> My main confusion right now is why the plugins built by geronimo
> aren't published in the snapshot repository. I expected :
> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/
> geronimo/configs/
> to look like my local repo
> ~/.m2/repository/org/apache/geronimo/configs
> Are the snapshot artifacts published selectively?

configs at the moment are not published (neither are assemblies).

--jason

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/
> geronimo/configs/

This is an old URL too... unknown when it will be removed, but better
to use the new URL:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/
geronimo/configs/

--jason

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Good question.  Actually right now there are three catalogs, one for
each of 1.1, 1.1.1, and 1.2-SNAPSHOT.  When 1.2 is released I expect
that its catalog will replace the 1.2-SNAPSHOT catalog.  I don't think
that maintaining multiple catalogs is ideal and we will probably want
to converge them into one if possible.

However, at this time the main reason for multiple catalogs is because
the plugins are not compatible across Geronimo releases, at least the
ones I tried.  Since the supported geronimo versions is a property of
each plugin, and not the other way around, a consolidated plugin
catalog would need to contain a separate entry for each version of the
plugin. Loading this catalog into the plugin portlet produces a
confusing looking UI, where multiple entries are listed for each
plugin but some are grayed out as being unavailable with no obvious
indication as to why.

Another reason is because the plugin versions are hosted at different
repositories.  We may be able to work around that by including a
<default-repository> element in the catalog for each repository, but I
haven't looked closely at how that works yet.

And finally another reason is because it seems like it will be pretty
straightforward to enhance geronimo's build process to create the
catalog for a release.  I think this will basically entail
concatenating all the geronimo-plugin.xml files in the config tree
with a little additional munging.  But I don't think there's a good
way to perform this *across* releases.

Not trying to overwhelm you with justifications, just want to be as
transparent as possible since I'm really thinking through this as I go
along and want to gather feedback :-)  To avoid maintaining multiple
catalogs we may very well want to tackle some of these issues right
now. Jason had some excellent ideas earlier in this thread about how
to maintain the catalog(s) in maven and I definitely think that's
where we should be headed, along with some parallel enhancements to
the UI and CLI.

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/06, Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So needs to be done to get the cars published for 1.2-SNAPSHOT and can I
> help?

It might just involve uncommenting line 1246 of trunk/pom.xml so that
the configs module is listed in the release environment.  Then I
suppose there are some manual steps to invoke mvn against that
profile.  But I don't know for sure.  Perhaps someone with more
knowledge about how the snapshot builds get published can advise.

Paul

Re: http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Great work Paul!

I am very interested in getting the 1.2-SNAPSHOT cars published as well
so that I can have a more standard way to deploy the tomcat, jetty,
tomcat-deployer, and jetty-deployer plugins I created for Micro-G.

So needs to be done to get the cars published for 1.2-SNAPSHOT and can I
help?

Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Please ignore the initial error ..... I forgot that I typed the wrong
URL on my first attempt and hence the error.   If I knew how to make an
emoticon that was blushing I would use it now. :-/

Joe

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/29/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> Its easy enough to make a new artifact, published to say org/apache/
> geronimo/plugincatalog/1.2-SNAPSHOT/geronimo-plugins-1.2-SNAPSHOT.xml
>
> But to make that work, we'd need to update the plugin code to look
> for a geronimo-plugins-${geronimo.version}.xml before it looks for a
> geronimo-plugins.xml, but that is very minor.

OK now I'm starting to understand how this could work.  But still
being a maven newbie I'm fuzzy on the details.  From what I can see
this can be implemented in two stages, first create the catalogs at
geronimo.apache.org/plugins and then migrate them to the maven repo.
Or there may be compelling reasons to just create a copy of the
catalogs in teh maven repo instead, probably needs some more
thought...

Unless there's some concern I will start on the first stage right away
and create a separate JIRA for the second stage.  Transitioning
between the stages should go smoothly since there's a level of
indirection for looking up the default list of repository catalogs at:
http://people.apache.org/~ammulder/plugin-repository-list-1.1.txt

thanks,
Paul

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.