Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au> on 2003/08/01 02:03:59 UTC

Commons popularity

Hello all,

I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms of daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer interest for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard to give figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects within it.

Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me to that would help in this research?

Regards,
Vikram Goyal

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
I am not sure whether this stats will be a help,
however, I can show you:

JAKARTA-COMMONS-DEV STATS:

Since October 2001 -- as of 31th July, 2003 (GMT)

(Total POSTS:             32662
 Unique E-mail addresses:  1054)

--TOP 10-- (messages)
   N A M E          | E-mail Address        |Last Act. | Posts|
MR. BUGZILLA ;-)    |bugzilla at apache.org |2003-07-31|  3193|
James Strachan      |jstrachan at apache.org|2003-07-23|  2123|
Dion Gillard        |dion at apache.org     |2003-07-24|  2113|
Henri Yandell       |bayard at apache.org   |2003-07-31|  1540|
Stephen Scolebourne |scolebourne at apache.o|2003-07-31|  1504|
Robert B. Donkin    |rdonkin at apache.org  |2003-07-31|  1407|
Morgan Delagrange   |morgand at apache.org  |2003-07-08|  1053|
Craig R. McClanahan |craigmcc at apache.org |2003-07-31|   894|
Scott Sanders       |sanders at apache.org  |2003-07-30|   609|
Rodney Waldhoff     |rwaldhoff at apache.org|2003-07-20|   589|

--TOP  5-- (cvs commit -- total: 11211 commits/ 86 committers)
   N A M E          | E-mail Address        |Last Act. | Posts|
                    |jstrachan at apache.org|2003-06-09|  1489|
                    |dion at apache.org     |2003-07-24|  1463|
                    |scolebourne at apache.o|2003-07-31|   649|
                    |rdonkin at apache.org  |2003-07-31|   571|
                    |morgand at apache.org  |2003-06-12|   530|

(Note: I conjoined Apache committers' mail addresses)

Also, I think you can consult AGORA ,
http://cvs.apache.org/~stefano/agora/
if you are interested in the *community dynamism*.
(MBOX archives can be retrieved from
http://jakarta.apache.org/mail/commons-dev/)

Hope this might help you to some extent.

-- Tetsuya (tetsuya@apache.org)

P.S. Why aren't there no MBOX archives of commons-user, BTW?? :)
(http://jakarta.apache.org/mail/)

--

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +1000
(Subject: Commons popularity)
"Vikram Goyal" <v....@uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms
> of daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer
> interest for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard
> to give figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects
> within it.
>
> Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me
> to that would help in this research?
>
> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

E-mail: tetsuya@apache.org
http://www.terra-intl.com/
(Apache Jakarta Translation, Japanese)
http://jakarta.terra-intl.com/

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>.
Thanks Craig.

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>.
Although I have already written the proposed TOC for this book, I was
wondering if there is anything specific that everyone here would like to see
in a book on Commons?

I had written an article at OnJava.com
(http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/25/commons.html) that gave a
review of most of the components in the repository. I thought that the book
would be a natural extension as it would be more detailed and give a
comprehensive discussion on these components.

If anyone has any ideas on what such a book should cover or something that
they would like to see in it, please let me know.

Regards,
Vikram

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>.
Thanks Craig.

Re: Commons popularity

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +1000
> From: Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org, commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Commons popularity
>
> Hello all,
>
> I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms of
> daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer interest
> for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard to give
> figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects within it.
>
> Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me to
> that would help in this research?

For mailing list activity, you should be able to count through the various
archives sites -- most of them have summary pages.

As of the moment, subscriber counts for Commons related mailing lists are:
 443   commons-dev
 182   commons-httpclient-dev
 558   commons-user

For comparison, the largest user mailing lists at Jakarta are struts-user
(2759) and tomcat-user (2363)

For download counts, Vadim Gritsenko posts some unofficial (but seem to be
accurate) web site statistics at:

  http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html

Unfortunately, the commons packages are not separately accounted for --
you might want to email Vadim to see if he can easily separate that out
from the data he's analyzing.

> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

Craig McClanahan

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +1000
> From: Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org, commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Commons popularity
>
> Hello all,
>
> I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms of
> daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer interest
> for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard to give
> figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects within it.
>
> Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me to
> that would help in this research?

For mailing list activity, you should be able to count through the various
archives sites -- most of them have summary pages.

As of the moment, subscriber counts for Commons related mailing lists are:
 443   commons-dev
 182   commons-httpclient-dev
 558   commons-user

For comparison, the largest user mailing lists at Jakarta are struts-user
(2759) and tomcat-user (2363)

For download counts, Vadim Gritsenko posts some unofficial (but seem to be
accurate) web site statistics at:

  http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html

Unfortunately, the commons packages are not separately accounted for --
you might want to email Vadim to see if he can easily separate that out
from the data he's analyzing.

> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

Craig McClanahan

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Re: Commons popularity

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +1000
> From: Vikram Goyal <v....@uq.edu.au>
> To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org, commons-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Commons popularity
>
> Hello all,
>
> I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms of
> daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer interest
> for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard to give
> figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects within it.
>
> Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me to
> that would help in this research?

For mailing list activity, you should be able to count through the various
archives sites -- most of them have summary pages.

As of the moment, subscriber counts for Commons related mailing lists are:
 443   commons-dev
 182   commons-httpclient-dev
 558   commons-user

For comparison, the largest user mailing lists at Jakarta are struts-user
(2759) and tomcat-user (2363)

For download counts, Vadim Gritsenko posts some unofficial (but seem to be
accurate) web site statistics at:

  http://www.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html

Unfortunately, the commons packages are not separately accounted for --
you might want to email Vadim to see if he can easily separate that out
from the data he's analyzing.

> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

Craig McClanahan