Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com> on 2002/01/17 08:13:55 UTC

XNI and DOMAddLines

I've been looking at this sample and there are a few issues that relate
to XNI.

1. We don't implement the property.
http://apache.org/xml/properties/dom/current-element-node

So I went to add it.  Question is, where does it belong?  It's only
available in DOMParsers, so it seems like it should be in
AbstractDOMParser or DOMParser.  Only DOMParser deals with
configuration, and it hands off responsibility to the parser
configuration.   Where is the right place to implement this?  Seems to
me that it belongs in AbstractDOMParser, since that's the least specific
class where you actually can get the current node, but then I'd have to
add property handling to AbstractDOMParser, which it doesn't do now.

Any thoughts on this?

2. DOMAddlines extends DOMParser in order to get access to the Locator
so that it can put the location info into a user node on the node.  This
seems like a bad reason to subclass DOMParser.  The only alternative I
can think of is a new property which is a callback that is supplied by
the user and which gets all the data that's available when startElement
creates a node.  But I'm not really sure that I like that much either.

Thoughts on this?

Ted