Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/12 14:31:04 UTC

Section 508 Compliance

I need to make a Tapestry 5.4 site 508 compliant. I've looked thru the
requirements and what HTML is generated now and I don't see anything that
looks to difficult but I'd like to get Tapestry to do most/all the work.

My plan is to write mixins to handle thinks like access keys. For example

<t:pagelink page="search"/>

Would look in the message catalog for

search-title=Do Search
search-text=Search
search-accesskey=s

and create

<t:pagelink page="search" accesskey="s" title="Do Search"><span
class="accesskey">S</span>earch<t:pagelink>

I'm also going to create a visitor to patch up things like grid link sort
titles.

Has anyone else built a 508 Tapestry site? If so any suggestions

Lastly some things might be better (like grid sort link titles) if they
were included in the base code. Would someone be willing to accept patches
and if so should they be enabled all the time or should 508 be a feature
you need to turn on?

Thanks
Barry

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:41:45 -0300, Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I think mixins combined with workers are one of Tapestry
> hidden gems.

Agreed 200%. :)

> In my case I need a title on every pagelink . With a mixin applied to
> pagelink by a worker I can easily lookup a title in the message catalog
> and add it. Maybe 30 minutes of coding and it's automatically applied to
> every page link on the site (and in any libraries used).
> Contrast that with creating a new component. First pagelink only seems
> trivial because it works really well. Secondly I have to refactor the
> entire project. Lastly I can't do anything about links in a library.

I couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
Personally I think mixins combined with workers are one of Tapestry hidden
gems. In my case I need a title on every pagelink . With a mixin applied to
pagelink by a worker I can easily lookup a title in the message catalog and
add it. Maybe 30 minutes of coding and it's automatically applied to every
page link on the site (and in any libraries used).

Contrast that with creating a new component. First pagelink only seems
trivial because it works really well. Secondly I have to refactor the
entire project. Lastly I can't do anything about links in a library.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
Sounds like this issue would help you here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1611

BTW I had no idea what section 508 was. A link / description might help.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks,

Those links are very helpful. I had not seen the Kawwa components before.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Basile Chandesris <ba...@free.fr>.

Re: Section 508 Compliance

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 09:31:04 -0300, Barry Books <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lastly some things might be better (like grid sort link titles) if they
> were included in the base code. Would someone be willing to accept
> patches

Of course! :)

> and if so should they be enabled all the time or should 508 be a feature
> you need to turn on?

We can have a symbol for enabling it with a default value of true. But, of
course, we can discuss what the better default should be.