Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2019/02/03 18:00:39 UTC

Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Hi general@,
Over at the SDAP podling we are currently involved in a bit of a situation
regarding the use of Dockerhub in our development and release management.
The primary mechanism for the deployment of SDAP’s NEXUS component is
Docker. It is therefore necessary for us to have available Docker images
which can be consumed by people trying to consume and deploy the SDAP
software.
The issue we have run into however is that the availability of Docker
images in Dockerhub appears to be in violation of Apache release policy. Is
this true for all images e.g. tagged and version controlled, hosted within
Dockerhub or is it acceptable for us to publish version controlled images
in Dockerhub?
Can anyone share experiences facilitating the use of Dockerhub throughout
development cycles and for staging release candidates which include Docker
artifacts?
Thank you
--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.
These would not be official releases. One or more of your community can create Docker builds from apache released source. Ideally the build files will be part of the ASF project.

Dockerhub has GitHub integration, so all it takes is for someone in the community to create the account and connect it to the repo.

________________________________
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http:%2F%2Fhome.apache.org%2F~lewismc%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6d9017f7dbc04dc1824c08d68a018b3a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636848136560161169&amp;sdata=d52cOLjekmHhjncZcdI8pMnKhlXmcdxuIOaSmBFf%2F%2Bk%3D&amp;reserved=0
https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpeople.apache.org%2Fkeys%2Fcommitter%2Flewismc&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6d9017f7dbc04dc1824c08d68a018b3a%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636848136560161169&amp;sdata=t4CngAQFIONjFr078NHVXCXsyOk1dmKQucQvwdp2F8M%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Ignore me on this thread. I'll take my ignorance off to a special corner
> and let it beat me up a bit more.

The podlings are already there waiting for you :-)

So what can we offer on guidance to podlings around:
1) Making official releases available on docker (or other platforms)?
2) Want to provide nightly or snapshots on those platforms?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:43 PM Hen <ba...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 1:49 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > 2. The PPMC should not publish software outside of Apache controlled
>> locations.
>>
>> I’m trying to find where the above has come from as I can find anything
>> in the release or distribution policies. [1] says “It is appropriate to
>> distribute official releases through downstream channels, but inappropriate
>> to distribute unreleased materials through them.”, [4] say this is OK "In
>> all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the same version
>> number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that
>> are the result of compiling that version of the source code release.”
>>
>> So everything there  to me is saying it’s OK to distribute versions of
>> release software on platforms like docker and I not sure where the "Apache
>> controlled locations only” restriction has come from.
>>

> I'm trying to understand from the thread on legal-discuss on the subject.
> Which frankly I think I'm failing to do.
>
> I see these DockerHub accounts:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/_/httpd   (HTTP Server from Docker?)
> https://hub.docker.com/r/bitnami/apache/  (HTTP Server from Bitnami)
> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache (various images from the ASF)
>
> I assume that "https://hub.docker.com/u/apache" is an Apache controlled
> location, so publishing Apache images from there is fine provided they obey
> our policies (release policy, website policy etc).
>
> On the other hand, Docker and Bitnami do not have to obey our release
> policy for their publishing locations, just our license/trademark-policy.
>
> Assuming the ASF control /apache, which I think believe do, Docker works.
> Though "_/httpd" is confusing as to who that's coming from.
>
> I get more confused in other areas (PyPI, npm) where we don't have a clear
> namespace for acts of the foundation. Is
> https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/ an act of the PMC or an act of some
> random folk who may or may not overlap with the PMC. It seems it's the
> latter (ie: Pypi packages are not an act of the PMC and therefore don't
> have to obey our release policy, just our license and trademark policy - I
> think that's nuts btw).

Tried to re-read the thread on legal-discuss and I'm more confused now than
before (though I did note that /u/apache is Apache controlled by Infra).

Ignore me on this thread. I'll take my ignorance off to a special corner
and let it beat me up a bit more.

Hen

Fwd: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Folks,

The project might want to move at least some of the DockerHub images published under /u/apachepulsar over to u/apache

At the very least update to the project URL and include a comment that these are “UNOFFICIAL RELEASES from the Apache Pulsar community”.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 7, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 7, 2019, at 6:47 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Infra does not police what projects deploy on their dockerhub repos. Do we need to?
>>
>> Well from a casual glance I can see several projects that seem to be putting releases constructed from unapproved source code up there. I’ve not looked in detail so may be mistaken. I guess sit depends if that concerns you or not.
>
> I hear you loud and clear. It’s not a question of if it concerns “me” i.e. Infra, but more if it concerns Legal. Based on www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html it seems like Infra may need to clamp down on what’s going on with the dockerhub repos and builds. As I alluded to before, we’ve generally left this to the good will of the project. If it’s being abused and the project is “releasing” artifacts via dockerhub that have not been vetted through the ASF release policy, then we do need to take action. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Could you please send a list of any “offenders” that you’ve found to private@infra?

Does DockerHub provide a way to limit some containers from public view? If so then such unapproved artifacts should be hidden first. A general announcement could then be made.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Infra does not police what projects deploy on their dockerhub repos. Do we need to?

Well from a casual glance I can see several projects that seem to be putting releases constructed from unapproved source code up there. I’ve not looked in detail so may be mistaken. I guess sit depends if that concerns you or not.

> Most projects historically have played by the rules. This touches a bit on what it really means to be an Apache Project. My thought here is that the Incubator needs to be a bit more circumspect with regards to onboarding projects before they fully understand the Apache Way. We’ve seen this play out with a significant percentage of projects over the last few years. I don’t know what the solution here is, but the gap between “old school” projects that fall into the Apache Way fairly easily, and the “new school” github-based projects that fly fast and loose seems to be growing by the day.

The incubator does need to do a better job of making the GitHub (and other platform)  limitations clear before the project joins. Quite often we’re not even aware of how the project was using GitHub, Docker or other channels before it joined, it only that after they join that these things become issues and then it’s too late.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 7, 2019, at 5:53 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Infra manages the u/apache dockerhub org. We provide this service with the express caveat that projects note that these are UNOFFICIAL releases, and CONVENIENCE BINARIES ONLY.
>
> By that I assume you mean only connivance binaries only created from an official approved/voted on ASF releases. Does that also suggest that release candidates, snapshot and nightlys (even if tagged and/or clearly described) would not be allowed there

Infra has little control over what the project publishes. We expect their good will and knowledge of the Apache Release Policy will guide them. As these releases are UNOFFICIAL, they could have dockerhub packages built for any branch or tag on their repo. This is a social construct, not a technical one, but that of course means absolutely nothing to the end user consumer of these packages.

Infra does not police what projects deploy on their dockerhub repos. Do we need to?

Most projects historically have played by the rules. This touches a bit on what it really means to be an Apache Project. My thought here is that the Incubator needs to be a bit more circumspect with regards to onboarding projects before they fully understand the Apache Way. We’ve seen this play out with a significant percentage of projects over the last few years. I don’t know what the solution here is, but the gap between “old school” projects that fall into the Apache Way fairly easily, and the “new school” github-based projects that fly fast and loose seems to be growing by the day.

> If so doesn’t that just encourage podlings to go make their own https://hub.docker.com/r/apache<project>/<project> and put them there? And if they do what do we do about it? If a TLP project or podling is found to be using u/apache and placing unapproved releases there what should be done? (Would you like to be informed for starters?)

I don’t see how this “encourages” any action one way or the other. Many new podlings find the restrictions imposed by joining the ASF to be extremely detrimental to their community, and are often very surprised to find that things that “used to work” on github are now verboten due to our legal policies.

>> Until that juxtaposition is well and truly addressed, these discussions will continue to happen ad nauseam.
>
> Well that is problematic.

I agree. This is a topic that comes up frequently, but has yet to be really addressed as far as I know.

> Thanks,
> Justin

-Chris
ASF Infra

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Lambertus <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I assume that "https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>" is an Apache controlled
> location, so publishing Apache images from there is fine provided they obey
> our policies (release policy, website policy etc).

I believe INFA has something to do with setting that up, but I think we should extend what be consider “official" to anything with apache in it’s user name, like apachepulsar.

> I get more confused in other areas (PyPI, npm) where we don't have a clear
> namespace for acts of the foundation. Is
> https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/ <https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/> an act of the PMC or an act of some
> random folk who may or may not overlap with the PMC.

Given the confusion, perhaps only allow project names with apache in them to be controlled by PMCs and/or assume they are? Much like the domain name policy we have. If so they would need to follow ASF release policy. If it’s named apache there a good chance users think it official and it probably is run by the PMC so policy applies?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 2. The PPMC should not publish software outside of Apache controlled locations.

I’m trying to find where the above has come from as I can find anything in the release or distribution policies. [1] says “It is appropriate to distribute official releases through downstream channels, but inappropriate to distribute unreleased materials through them.”, [4] say this is OK "In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the same version number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release.”

So everything there  to me is saying it’s OK to distribute versions of release software on platforms like docker and I not sure where the "Apache controlled locations only” restriction has come from.

Now the main issue with snapshots and nightly is this [2] "Projects SHALL publish official releases and SHALL NOT publish unreleased materials outside the development community.”, [3] explains it’s about legal protection of (P)PMC members, and [4] prohibits links to such releases. The distribution policy [5] also states that unreleased material "MAY be distributed to consenting members of a development community.”

So I believe  the question here with docker is:  Is using a tag enough to satisfy that the PPMC is only distributing to consenting members of a development community?

Thanks,
Justin

1, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#why
4. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#what
5. https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#unreleased

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 8:34 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> > 2. The PPMC should not publish software outside of Apache controlled
> > locations.
>
> We have TLP / PMCs doing that already
>
> > 3. Third parties may publish software based on Apache's, but they must
> not
> > cause user confusion (i.e. respect trademarks).
>
> And we have this as well (see docker links).
>
> All a bit of a mess really.
>
> Justin

Agreed :)

I think PMCs are trying to do the right thing for the public and we need to
come up with structure for how PMCs should publish installables on 3p
locations.

Hen

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 3:41 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If projects want to make convenience binaries available for installation
> > via Docker and DockerHub, then it seems like we need an official Apache
> > DockerHub repository. Do we have one of those, or are folks just publishing
> > to personal repos?
>
> A quick look shows HTTP, Maven, Tomcat, Casandra, Solr, Groovy and a number of other Apache TLP using docker hub. Well they may be it’s hard to know who is publishing them.
>
> All are using Apache branding and most are marked as "Docker Official Images” [1]
>
> None seem to be publishing nightly there but there are binary versions of released source code in all these projects.
>
> I can also see ignite [2] published under an apache ignite account and pulsar [2] under an apache pulsar account and nutch [3] published under an apache account.
>
> Pulsar is publishing RCs and looks like it was doing so during incubation :-(
> 4. https://hub.docker.com/r/apachepulsar/pulsar

Just a quick clarification. We have the push to DockerHub as part of the steps
performed by the release manager *after* the release is approved (in
the incubator
phase, that was after IIPMC approval). The images are simply a
repackaged version
of the official release binary tgz.

Regarding RCs tag, the only one published there was
"2.0.0-rc1-incubating" and the
reason was that this was the name of the official release (Because of
the jump from
1.x to 2.x, we wanted to communicate the stability to expect from that release).
Ref: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b40a4791d0810b6c11f4cb9630ca6a4510ac0ed27336796dee54ec1b@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hey Justin -- any chance you can take a look at the proposed policy for
*snapshot* Docker hub artifacts I proposed up-thread?

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hey - not everyone agrees with Justin’s and Henry’s conclusions.

I don’t have time to argue every point.

AFAIK everyone releasing binary convenience to dockerhub believed they were authorized.

Pulsar had ONE release that was current for a short time that mistakenly kept an RC in the name. It was a valid release. Please review the vote thread.

Please stop these allegations and work to clarify the policy!

Until tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Hen. Seems like the "Apache controlled locations" bit is important
here.

If projects want to make convenience binaries available for installation
via Docker and DockerHub, then it seems like we need an official Apache
DockerHub repository. Do we have one of those, or are folks just publishing
to personal repos?

I recently made a Docker image available for the unreleased Apache Roller
6.0.0-SNAPSHOT on my personal DockerHub account, which I believe is kosher,
but where should the Roller project publish the convenience binary/Docker
image for the official 6.0.0 release?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> The issue we have run into however is that the availability of Docker
> images in Dockerhub appears to be in violation of Apache release policy. Is
> this true for all images e.g. tagged and version controlled, hosted within
> Dockerhub or is it acceptable for us to publish version controlled images
> in Dockerhub?

If they consist of code from a voted on release then that’s fine. This has been discussed a bit recently,  see these two legal JIRAs [1][2]. In short “It is appropriate to distribute official releases through downstream channels, but inappropriate to distribute unreleased materials through them.”

However I assume you asking about what to do with release candidates, my guess is to make sure they are not the default latest release and come up with a tagging scheme.

2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-427

Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.