Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2013/03/10 18:58:58 UTC

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Hi all,

I've created the karaf-2.x branch, and updated the POM version to
2.4.0-SNAPSHOT.

I'm testing it now, and I gonna work on this branch tonight.

If it's OK for all:
- I will announce Karaf 2.3.x and 2.2.x branches as in maintenance mode:
so no new features on those branches, just critical bug fixes
- I propose to wait a first 2.4.0 to set 2.2.x as EOL

On the other hand, I will discuss with Jamie tomorrow to cut off a first
3.0.0.RC1 (I fixed a couple of issue, but in order to have some feedback
from "test" users, I think we should provide a first RC1).

WDYT ?

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
That sounds good. I think we should agree on a common best practice in
the karaf dev list and document it on the web site.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:

> Agree, but it's mostly possible inside 2.x branches (the codebase has
> changed on trunk).
>
> I don't want to consider "company maintenance" here, just community.

Agreed, though our users and our customers need are certainly the same to
some degree.

> From a community perspective, I think we have to maintain max 2 branches.

I'd rather keep trunk and 2.3.x.  It should be easier to merge from 2.3.x
to 2.x than the opposite.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Email: gnodet@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Agree, but it's mostly possible inside 2.x branches (the codebase has
changed on trunk).

I don't want to consider "company maintenance" here, just community.

 From a community perspective, I think we have to maintain max 2 branches.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
> [...]

>>> shell:date command, etc) to respect this *MAINTENANCE/GA* "mode". I will
>>> look for new features or improvements using Jira.
>>> - karaf-2.2.x: as soon as Karaf 2.4.0 will be released (on the karaf-2.x
>>> branch), this branch will go in EOL mode (and an announcement will be
>>> send to the users).
>>>
>>> In terms of releases planning:
>>> - Karaf 2.3.1 is waiting for Aries JMX 1.1.1 and Pax Web 1.1.12
>>> releases. I will tackle the Pax Web release with Achim, and ping Dan
>>> about the Aries release.
>>> - Karaf 3.0.0.RC1 is waiting for Aries JMX 1.1.1 release. It would be
>>> cool to fix a couple of issues around sub-shell here, but it's not
>>> blocker for RC1 IMHO.
>>> - we can plan to cut off Karaf 2.4 in 6 weeks after 2.3.1.
>>> - I propose a Karaf 2.2.11 with latest bug fixes before the switch to

>>> Regards

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Guillaume,

the plan is to create karaf-2.4.x when it's necessary.

The purpose is to avoid to create a lot of "micro" version, and more use
"minor" version.

A Karaf 2.4.1 will never supposed to be released. However, if we have a
critical set of bug fixes that can't wait 2.5.0, in that case, we will
create karaf-2.4.x to put in it.

Regards
JB

On 03/13/2013 02:50 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Sorry to jump on late, but is there any need to change the branch naming
> scheme on 2.x now ?
> I was quite happy with 2.2.x, 2.3.x scheme so far, and kinda fail to see
> how the new one is supposed to be used.
>
> Is the plan to create a 2.4.x maintenance branch once 2.4.0 would be out,
> or maybe just before cutting the release ?
> It's no big deal, but I fail to see the purpose for this change ...
>

> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've created the karaf-2.x branch, and updated the POM version to
>> 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> I'm testing it now, and I gonna work on this branch tonight.
>>
>> If it's OK for all:
>> - I will announce Karaf 2.3.x and 2.2.x branches as in maintenance mode:
>> so no new features on those branches, just critical bug fixes
>> - I propose to wait a first 2.4.0 to set 2.2.x as EOL
>>
>> On the other hand, I will discuss with Jamie tomorrow to cut off a first
>> 3.0.0.RC1 (I fixed a couple of issue, but in order to have some feedback
>> from "test" users, I think we should provide a first RC1).
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>

>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 02/07/2013 04:33 PM, jb@nanthrax.net wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> following a discussion started a couple of weeks ago, just an update
>>> about Karaf branches and releases:
>>>
>>> - karaf-2.x: I'm going to create this branch asap (let say tonight or
>>> tomorrow). This branch will be the codebase for Karaf 2.4, Karaf 2.5,
>>> etc. This branch will be created starting from the current karaf-2.3.x
>>> one.
>>> - karaf-2.3.x: this branch stays as it is and it becomes
>>> *MAINTENANCE/GA* branch. It means no new features, no new commands, only
>>> bug fixes. I will remove new features from this branch (for instance
>>> shell:date command, etc) to respect this *MAINTENANCE/GA* "mode". I will
>>> look for new features or improvements using Jira.
>>> - karaf-2.2.x: as soon as Karaf 2.4.0 will be released (on the karaf-2.x
>>> branch), this branch will go in EOL mode (and an announcement will be
>>> send to the users).
>>>
>>> In terms of releases planning:
>>> - Karaf 2.3.1 is waiting for Aries JMX 1.1.1 and Pax Web 1.1.12
>>> releases. I will tackle the Pax Web release with Achim, and ping Dan
>>> about the Aries release.
>>> - Karaf 3.0.0.RC1 is waiting for Aries JMX 1.1.1 release. It would be
>>> cool to fix a couple of issues around sub-shell here, but it's not
>>> blocker for RC1 IMHO.
>>> - we can plan to cut off Karaf 2.4 in 6 weeks after 2.3.1.
>>> - I propose a Karaf 2.2.11 with latest bug fixes before the switch to
>>> EOL mode.
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [UPDATE] Karaf branches and features in Karaf 2.3.x

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.