Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gregory F. March" <ma...@gfm.net> on 2003/06/11 14:59:48 UTC

Wizard forms

How are wizard forms (multipage forms) typically done in the struts
framework?

I have done the following and I'm running into a few configuration and
usability problems that seem to indicate that I did something wrong.
I have the following:

* Main tile page that contains a header, menu, body and footer.

* The body tile contains parts of the form with multiple submit
  buttons, a "save", "cancel", "reset", "previous" and "next".

* When the user hits next or prev, the action redirects to a forward
  with a ?page=n so that the main tile page can display the correct
  body.

* Based on the "page" parameter, the main tile page will change the
  body of the page to a different .jsp for each of the pages in the
  multipart form.

* A DynaActionForm that has session scope to maintain the data across
  pages.

Does this sound right?  My issues are with that "page" property to
manage the content of the body tile - it doesn't seem natural in this
framework to do it this way.

As usual, any comments are really appreciated...

Thanks,

/greg

--
Gregory F. March    -=-    http://www.gfm.net:81/~march    -=-    AIM:GfmNet

Re: Wizard forms

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
I'm not saying it's better, but this is what I have
done (but not with as much tiles integration).  This
is how I would do it moving forward:

Have a different action or two different actions for
each unique page.  (You may have pages that are not
necessarily unique and are generic second pages
possibly).

The action for the second page forwards to a tile that
subclasses a main tile that you have defined and has a
different body.

I would still use the page parameter on the form so
you could use the validator.

sandeep