Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> on 2014/11/28 07:16:04 UTC

Re: Can't connect to OpenOffice word document after Apache update

At 16:50 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>Go to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program and copy the file
>soffice.exe and paste on your desktop.

Aaargh! Please don't suggest such misuse of a computer and its files.
People reading a public mailing list shouldn't be advised to use such
bad practice.

Under any operating system, if you need a way to invoke a program
from the desktop, there is always a proper and sensible way to create
a shortcut. In any case, if you were to run a program from the
desktop instead of in its proper location, there is no guarantee that
its necessary components and so on will be found correctly.

Brian Barker

Re: Can't connect to OpenOffice word document after Apache update

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 17:41 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>On 28-11-2014 17:16, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 16:50 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>>Go to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program and copy the file
>>>soffice.exe and paste on your desktop.
>>
>>Aaargh! Please don't suggest such misuse of a computer and its
>>files. People reading a public mailing list shouldn't be advised to
>>use such bad practice.
>
>In what way is this a bad practice?

Where do I start?
o You have an unnecessary copy of the file.
o The desktop is a fragile file area where files can easily become
damaged or deleted.
o If you have roaming profiles, the desktop may be limited in size
and a ten-megabyte file may be problematic. In any case, the
consequent copying of such a file from and to a server when you log
in or out will slow these processes.
o When the user upgrades the product, they will still start the file
on the desktop, so they will be running an old version of soffice.exe
with a different version of OpenOffice installed. Can you guarantee
this will work? (No.) Will you be around then to advise users who
have followed your advice?

>>Under any operating system, if you need a way to invoke a program
>>from the desktop, there is always a proper and sensible way to
>>create a shortcut.
>
>The way I described doesn't copy the file it create a shortcut.

Aha! Is that what you *meant*? Creating a desktop shortcut is good
advice (though it can be done more easily from the All Programs
menus). But what you wrote - "copy the file ... and paste" clearly
described pasting a copy, not a shortcut. Thank you for now making
clear what you meant.

>>In any case, if you were to run a program from the desktop instead
>>of in its proper location, there is no guarantee that its necessary
>>components and so on will be found correctly.
>
>When you install OpenOffice it creates a shortcut onto your desktop
>(can't remember if it is optional) Checking the properties of both
>shortcuts they are identical.

If we are now talking about a shortcut, not a copy, then that is so, of course.

>So if there is no guarantee that it can find the necessary
>components then the installation script is wrong.

No, there would be a difference if you ran the actual file from the
desktop, as you had described - but not if you are running a shortcut
there which runs the program _in situ_ - as it is now clear you
meant. We are agreed on that.

Brian Barker

Re: Can't connect to OpenOffice word document after Apache update

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 28-11-2014 17:16, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 16:50 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>> Go to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program and copy the file
>> soffice.exe and paste on your desktop.
>
> Aaargh! Please don't suggest such misuse of a computer and its files.
> People reading a public mailing list shouldn't be advised to use such
> bad practice.
In what way is this a bad practice?

> Under any operating system, if you need a way to invoke a program from
> the desktop, there is always a proper and sensible way to create a
> shortcut.
The way I described doesn't copy the file it create a shortcut.
> In any case, if you were to run a program from the desktop instead of
> in its proper location, there is no guarantee that its necessary
> components and so on will be found correctly.
When you install OpenOffice it creates a shortcut onto your desktop
(can't remember if it is optional)
Checking the properties of both shortcuts they are identical. So if

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 20:58 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>Sorry Brian, you can't judge what I meant.

Oh dear: this is getting rather daft! Surely anyone can judge anyone?
But it happens that I haven't judged you - only commented on the
ideas you put forward. But - perversely - you are judging me - by
saying I "can't" do whatever!

Or do you mean that I shouldn't guess what you meant from what you
wrote? I didn't do that either: I just commented on what you wrote
first (copy and paste the file) and then on what you subsequently
explained you meant (create a shortcut to the file).

I don't see why you think we are in dispute. Your recommendation (now
made clear) is to create a desktop shortcut. I'm happy with that and
have made that clear. Where is the problem?

>And this forum is not to defend ourself but to support users.

I reserve the right to defend myself and will fight for your right to
do so, too. And it's odd that you should make that claim in a message
whose purpose was surely (quite rightly) to defend yourself!

But your point about supporting users is spot on. And that is
precisely why I replied to your original message (and indeed why I
chose to do so publicly). It was important that no-one should think
that copying and pasting the file itself, as stated in your original
message ("copy the file ... and paste") was a good idea. As soon as
you indicated that you meant creating a shortcut, I immediately
agreed, suggesting that this was "good advice". If that's a
judgement, it's a positive and complimentary one. Have a gold star!

Surely we are now reading from the same hymn sheet?

Brian Barker

Re: Can't connect to OpenOffice word document after Apache update

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 28-11-2014 20:10, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 09:51 28/11/2014 +0100, Marina Tonly wrote:
>>>
>>> Aaargh! Please don't suggest such misuse of a computer and its
>>> files. People reading a public mailing list shouldn't be advised to
>>> use such bad practice.
>>
>> True, I haven't used Windows for some time now, but what Martin
>> suggested used to be the correct way to add a shortcut to the
>> desktop, as was explained in Window's own online Help.
>
> No: what he suggested (though it transpired he didn't mean to) and
> what I was replying to above was *copying* the file, not creating a
> shortcut. Creating desktop shortcuts can indeed be a Good Thing!

Sorry Brian, you can't judge what I meant. And this forum is not to

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Posted by mt <mt...@lockedbags.org>.
On 28/11/14 at 7:16 AM, b.m.barker@btinternet.com (Brian Barker) wrote:

>At 16:50 28/11/2014 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>Go to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program and copy the file
>>soffice.exe and paste on your desktop.
>
>Aaargh! Please don't suggest such misuse of a computer and its
>files. People reading a public mailing list shouldn't be
>advised to use such bad practice.

True, I haven't used Windows for some time now, but what Martin
suggested used to be the correct way to add a shortcut to the
desktop, as was explained in Window's own online Help.

For updated instructions, here's what a quick search on
Duckduckgo.com produced, straight from Microsoft's online
support Website:

     <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140443>

marina