Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2002/05/15 00:38:48 UTC

New Tutorials in Cactus 1.4

Hi,

Cactus 1.4 boasts a new ServletTestRunner to easily start your tests
from a browser.

I have uploaded the Cactus 1.4 documentation web site on
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/

You should find the following 2 new tutorials of interest :

http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_runner.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_tomcat.html

I'd like to get some feedback from Cactus users to know if there is
interest for this and if you think the new Quick Start tutorial is good
(second link above).

If there is a *huge* interest, we may decide to deliver a version 1.4 in
the very near future (that's of course if you think this is big enough
to warrant it).

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: New Tutorials in Cactus 1.4

Posted by Kaarle Kaila <ka...@iki.fi>.
At 13:47 19.5.2002 +0100, Vincent Massol wrote:

>Thanks Kaarle for reporting back ! :-)
>
>-Vincent
>
>P.S.: I still don't understand how it could have made a difference ...

Perhaps some incompatibility between cactus 1.3 that I had
used for compilation and 1.4 that I used to execute it?

Kaarle

Kaarle Kaila
http://www.iki.fi/kaila
mailto:kaarle.kaila@iki.fi
tel: +358 50 3725844

RE: New Tutorials in Cactus 1.4

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Thanks Kaarle for reporting back ! :-)

-Vincent

P.S.: I still don't understand how it could have made a difference ...

Cactus
> testrunner that I added to KaCoMa. It succeeded when all tests
succeeded
> but the TestRunner crashed if some of the tests failed.
>
> The reason seems that I had only copied cactus.jar from cactus 1.4
into
> my weblogic 6.1 or tomcat 4.0 and left all other jar-files as they
were
> taken from
> last official cactus 1.3 release.
>
> Now that I copied all jar-files from the cactus 1.4 of 14 may the
problem
> dissapeared
> and the resulting xml-file shows the expected result.
>
> thanks!
> Kaarle

Server

4
> >72
> > > )
> > >          at

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

Posted by Rita Kaila <ri...@kolumbus.fi>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

ti
> onFilterChain.java:269)
>          at

er
> Chain.java:193)
>          at

e.
> java:243)
>          at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.ja
va
> :566)
>          at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:4
72
> )
>          at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
>          at

e.

Posted by Kaarle Kaila <ka...@iki.fi>.
At 15:34 18.5.2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Thanks Kaarle. I have added your KaCoMa project in the Cactus resource
>area (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/resources.html) and in the news
>area (http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/news.html).
>
>Please tell me if the text is ok and if you'd like to change anything.

hi!

I think it is OK although there is not much Content management in it at
least yet.
I have cactus.jar from 14th may as it is the last one with a binary
distribuition.
I tried to build a later from sources bu I assume I have not set everything
up as needed
It works OK if all tests pass but this is how tomcat reports when it finds
an error ,
like assertNoNull(null);

Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error

type Exception report
message Internal Server Error
description The server encountered an internal error (Internal Server
Error) that prevented it from fulfilling this request.
exception
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
         at
         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)

>Cheers,
>-Vincent

Kaarle Kaila
http://www.iki.fi/kaila
mailto:kaarle.kaila@iki.fi
tel: +358 50 3725844

RE: New Tutorials in Cactus 1.4

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

Posted by Kaarle Kaila <ka...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Kaarle Kaila <ka...@iki.fi>.
At 23:38 14.5.2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Cactus 1.4 boasts a new ServletTestRunner to easily start your tests
>from a browser.
>
>I have uploaded the Cactus 1.4 documentation web site on
>http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/
>
>You should find the following 2 new tutorials of interest :
>
>http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_runner.html
>http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_tomcat.html
>
>I'd like to get some feedback from Cactus users to know if there is
>interest for this and if you think the new Quick Start tutorial is good
>(second link above).

Hi Vincent,

Here is some feedback after my first experiment with the TestRunner.
I have a simple application that I use for giving Unit testing and/or tag-lib
speeches. I will update the files maybe today and there I have included this
about testing the Cactus testcases:

You find my application at http://sourceforge.net/projects/kacoma

I think the idea looks good. In my tests the testRunner fails (crashes)
unless all tests pass
but I expect this to be corrected soon. ( I used cactus.jar of 14.5.2002)

here is the part about running Cactus tests:

Running the Cactus TestCases
You must have your appserver running for Cactus tests to function. It is
possible to have Ant take care of this but that has not been implemented in
KaCoMa. You have following options to execute Cactus tests in KaCoMa:
·       Ant xml - in your kacoma directory executes all tests including
Cactus tests and returns the result in xml-format which is converted to
html format into ·      kacoma/reports/html/Index.html
·       Ant swing - in your kacoma directory starts the java swing version
of JUnit TestRunner. You must then type in the name of the test and press
the Execute button.
·       Use JUnitEE by requesting the URL {appserver}/test.html where
{appserver} is the url of your appserver (Perhaps
·       http://localhost:7001/test.html for WLS 6.1 or
·        http://localhost:8080/kacoma/test.html for Tomcat). You can
execute several tests with JUnitEE by selecting them from the list.
·       Cactus (beta) 1.4 created after 14 may 2002 includes a TestRunner
that functions in the same way as JUnitEE. The required cactus TestRunner
servlet has been described in web.xml and a call for the test in included
in the welcome page of your webapp. (Perhaps ·    http://localhost:7001/
for WLS 6.1 or · http://localhost:8080/kacoma for Tomcat). For this to
function you must download the latest nightly build (1.4) of cactus.jar.
You may need also other files than cactus.jar. As of writing this test this
TestRunner is very new and seems to manage only tests that pass. Check for
details at ·      http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.4/howto_runner.html

regards
Kaarle

>If there is a *huge* interest, we may decide to deliver a version 1.4 in
>the very near future (that's of course if you think this is big enough
>to warrant it).
>
>Thanks
>-Vincent

Kaarle Kaila