Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Kirk Storer <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/11 21:05:14 UTC

Could not check out the file

When I try to edit a specific document (as levi) I get
the following message.

Could not check out the file

Reason : The resource has already been checked out by
another user
User:	alice
Date:	Thu Apr 29 15:51:50 EDT 2004
Filename:	/content/authoring/asdf/index_en.xml

If I login as alice how do I release the file so that
other users can edit it.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
I updated the http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaFAQ yesterday
and you can read there the background to the problem.

Jann is right, that is the way to prefend interacting with the file system.

King regards
Thorsten

Jann Forrer wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>Kirk Storer wrote:
>>

>>>When I try to edit a specific document (as levi) I get
>>>the following message.
>>>
>>>Could not check out the file
>>>
>>>Reason : The resource has already been checked out by
>>>another user
>>>User:	alice
>>>Date:	Thu Apr 29 15:51:50 EDT 2004
>>>Filename:	/content/authoring/asdf/index_en.xml
>>>
>>>If I login as alice how do I release the file so that
>>>other users can edit it.
>>>

>If you login as alice (the user who checke out the file) you can still
>edit the file and if you save it correctly i.e. release the lock other
>user can again edit the file. In that case you dont have to work within
>the filesystem.
>
>Jann

>Jann Forrer
>Informatikdienste
>Universität Zürich
>Winterthurerstr. 190
>CH-8057 Zuerich
>
>oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
>(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
> \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
>  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.
Avda. de la Arboleda s/n
41940 - Tomares,  (Sevilla)
Tlfn: (+34) 955 062 627
e-mail: thorsten.scherler.ext@juntadeandalucia.es

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,
contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su
destinatario o destinatarios. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o
distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de "Sociedad
Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". Si no
es Ud. el destinatario del mensaje le ruego lo destruya sin hacer copia
digital o física, comunicando a Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U. vía e-mail o fax la recepción del presente
mensaje. Toda declaración de voluntad contenida deberá ser tenida por no
producida. Gracias.
___________________

The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and
solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication
is prohibited without the prior written consent of "Sociedad Andaluza para
el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información, S.A.U.". If you are not the
formal receiver of this message please destroy it without making any digital
or physical copy and inform "Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la
Sociedad de la Información S.A.U." , by e-mail or fax, of the reception of
the present message. Any whatsoever involuntary declaration contained
herewith must be taken as having no legal effect. Thank you.

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
How about a kind of session timeout.

The user can check out the file for lets say 5-10 min after that he will
get a system message that the leash is expired.

For offline editing we could use that leash system in a
"rent-a-document" manner. You can check out the doc for a certain time
after that the scheduler releases the lock

King regards
thorsten

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 09:37, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
> > I think that this is a critical problem. Lenya administrators should not have to
> > bother breaking locks.
> >
> > Is there no way to handle "check out without a following check in"
> > automatically?
>
> The system could check if the other editing user is still logged in
> and otherwise check in the document ...

I think the lock/unlock behaviour should be configurable on publication
level.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> I think that this is a critical problem. Lenya administrators should
>> not have to
>> bother breaking locks.
>>
>> Is there no way to handle "check out without a following check in"
>> automatically?
>

> The system could check if the other editing user is still logged in
> and otherwise check in the document ...
>
> <random-thought>
> Maybe someone wants to implement optimistic offline lock :)
> </random-thought>

I think the problem is to recognize when a session is over, because
the servlet API has become more restrictive.

Many people don't really logout explicitely.

But I think for productive use of Lenya it's very important to see
what users are being loged in.

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
> > I think that this is a critical problem. Lenya administrators should not have to
> > bother breaking locks.
> >
> > Is there no way to handle "check out without a following check in"
> > automatically?
>
> The system could check if the other editing user is still logged in
> and otherwise check in the document ...

I thought the information whether a user is logged is not available
yet?

> <random-thought>
> Maybe someone wants to implement optimistic offline lock :)
> </random-thought>

Another thought: What if the administrator of a  publication can edit
every file and is therefore able to release the lock?  I know, not a very
sophisticated method ;-)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> I think that this is a critical problem. Lenya administrators should
>> not have to
>> bother breaking locks.
>>
>> Is there no way to handle "check out without a following check in"
>> automatically?
>

> The system could check if the other editing user is still logged in
> and otherwise check in the document ...
>
> <random-thought>
> Maybe someone wants to implement optimistic offline lock :)
> </random-thought>

I think the problem is to recognize when a session is over, because
the servlet API has become more restrictive.

Many people don't really logout explicitely.

But I think for productive use of Lenya it's very important to see
what users are being loged in.

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Kirk Storer wrote:
>
>> When I try to edit a specific document (as levi) I get
>> the following message.
>>
>> Could not check out the file
>>
>> Reason : The resource has already been checked out by
>> another user User:    alice
>> Date:    Thu Apr 29 15:51:50 EDT 2004
>> Filename:    /content/authoring/asdf/index_en.xml
>>
>> If I login as alice how do I release the file so that
>> other users can edit it.

just open the document as "alice" (e.g. with the forms editor) and hit
CANCEL
(probably you hit the browser return button when you were alice before)
and then it should be checked-in again.

> we really need to have an admin function to do that.

one enhancement would certainly be to break the lock.

Another enhancement feature ;-)

Michi

Re: Could not check out the file

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.