Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Marc Vaillant <va...@fastmail.fm> on 2008/09/19 20:10:36 UTC

Is pipes really supposed to be a serious API? Is it being actively developed?

Only about 5 pipes/c++ related posts since mid July, and basically no
invested some time to make it platform independent (ported bsd sockets
to boost sockets, and the xdr serialization to boost serialization), but
it's still lacking an efficient way to submit jobs, more efficient
mechanism for executing map/reduce without launching pipes executables,
etc.

Hello, anyone out there?

Marc

Re: Is pipes really supposed to be a serious API? Is it being actively developed?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry that your questions haven't been answered. Pipes is used
extensively at Yahoo to build the Webmap, which is the graph of the
entire web. You can now set counters in pipes, but mostly it has just
been working for Yahoo. It isn't expected to perform better the java
api, because all of the framework code is the same java. It seems to
perform very close to the java. If you have patches to make it more
portable, that would be great.

-- Owen

Posted by David Richards <dr...@showcase60.com>.
I've had the same problem, when wanting to integrate pipes into my
system.  I haven't seen serious support/comment on pipes, so I'm
seeing if I can steer clear of this.  Maybe this is a wakeup call to
see if we've both missed something.

David

Posted by Alex Feinberg <al...@socialmedia.com>.
Hi Marc,

I have myself personally used pipes, but I found it's performance wasn't faster
than Java (on the same issue). I also found a lack of documentation (e.g. I saw
nothing about xdr).

What I'd like to see is an example where you're using pipes to pass a struct
from a mapper to a reducer using xdr (I have used bit arrays/packed structures
to pass data from a mapper to a reducer using native byte order since it's safe
to assume that machines in a cluster would be heterogenous).

Perhaps if pipes saw more exposure it'd be used more frequently.

Thans,

--
Alex Feinberg
Platform Engineer, SocialMedia Networks