Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/10/04 18:22:57 UTC

Re: Problems with the example app - Digester can't parse the database .xml file

Colin Sampaleanu wrote:

> I'm not sure what was going wrong for you, but tou definitely _do not_ need
> to have the struts source in there for Struts to work with Resin. Our custom
> app, as well as the sample app and test app work fine with struts.jar just
> placed in the web app's lib directory...

This is the key issue.  I expanded on it a little in a previous email this
morning, but the bottom line is that -- on most current servlet containers --
Struts will work when it is installed in WEB-INF/lib, but will *not* work when
it is installed in the system class path provided by the container.

The technical issue is that when Struts tries to instantiate a user class (like
a form bean), it looks in the classloader it was loaded from -- but the form
beans and other stuff are in your webapp class loader, and therefore not
visible.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat