Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Nuvvula, Durga" <dn...@atxg.com> on 2010/11/17 16:49:34 UTC

FOP 0.9.5 and Too many Files Open...image Files in my case...

Hi,

I am using the FOP 0.9.5 for my pdf generation. I have made sure that I have closed all the input streams that I have opened for pdf generation.

I am not opening the image files(.tiff,.gif,.png etc) directly but I am using them in my XSL. I have made sure that my xsl stream is closed properly in the finally block.

When I track the number of open files through lsof, I am observing the image files(.tiff,.gif,.png etc) not closed because of this it is reaching the limit of number of open files and have to restart the server. Our server has the configuration of open files to 1024.

Do I need to do anything extra for closing the image files that have opened by the FOP internally?

Any help or suggestions towards the resolution of the problem is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.

Best Regards,
Durga Prasad
46943895956

RE: FOP 0.9.5 and Too many Files Open...image Files in my case...

Posted by "Nuvvula, Durga" <dn...@atxg.com>.
Hi Peter,

Sorry for late reply, Thanks for your email!!!

I have tried the first option of setting the system property in the start up and it was not solving my problem with the number of open files.

I have tried updating the FOP 0.9.5 to FOP 1.0 and the number of open file descriptors problem seems to be solved. I have tested and it works for me.

Best Regards,
Durga

Before trying to resolve this particular issue, are you able to
upgrade to 1.0?  It is possible that your particular issue has been
resolved after 0.95.
There are threads on the mailing list that report similiar problems, e.g.
http://old.nabble.com/Too-many-open-images--td25664263.html#a25664263
http://old.nabble.com/Keeping-memory-usage-low-when-FOP-is-not-running-and-avoid-open-file-handles-after-FOP-is-run-td29202650.html#a29205862

Let me know if you want further help

Pete