Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org> on 2023/12/19 16:12:01 UTC

SCIMple Release Vote Soon

I think I've worked out all the issues with the SCIMple build getting
it ready for release.

Side note: I think I've been missing some of the dev@directory.a.o
messages due to poor email filtering on my part, sorry about that!

Quick recap, in case any of these bits are useful to other Directory projects:

## Problems with site generation
maven-site-plugin:4.0.0-M12 seemed to fix those problems.
There are still a few warts, for example there are properties in the
footer that are not filtered/interpolated e.g. ${year}
This site build is largely unused for directory.apache.org, so I'm
going to ignore this for now, and focus on only the Javadoc generation

## Javadoc aggregation was failing.
The Javadoc aggregate goals are not thread safe,

https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/develop/.mvn/maven.config#L1C1-L1C15
SCIMple has a `.mvn/maven.config` that sets `--threads=1.5C`, this
works well for most builds, but causes a few issues when running the
javadoc
Quick work around, is setting `--threads=1` during a release:
https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/16aa7e631bdc1f076ce5e696a5e77511297f1356/pom.xml#L609
javadoc:aggregate and javadoc:aggregate-jar are run as part of the
`apache-release` profile now, this maybe something we want to push
into the directory parent pom in the future:
https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/16aa7e631bdc1f076ce5e696a5e77511297f1356/pom.xml#L809-L822
(assuming everything works out with this initial release, I'll create a PR)

## Release Guide
I started hacking on a release guide:
https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/develop/RELEASE_GUIDE.md
which should get moved to the site after the initial release, but I
need to walk through these steps before, as i'm sure there some
issues.

## Release Issues
I don't anticipate any more show stoppers as to getting the release
out, but I'm guessing there will be a few minor tweaks along the way

## Voting on the Release!

Given the holidays are in full swing, we need to make sure we have a
quorum.  Here are some thoughts, on getting the release out:
- I can try to cut the release today/tomorrow, that ends the vote
about on Dec 23
- Stage the release today/tomorrow, allow for extended feedback
period, and vall the vote the first week of 2024
- Wait for the release until 2024

My thinking is option 2 might be the best bet, gets the process
started, but doesn't interrupt any holiday cheer.

Thoughts/feedback welcome!

Re: SCIMple Release Vote Soon

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 19, 2023, at 10:12 AM, Brian Demers <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I think I've worked out all the issues with the SCIMple build getting
> it ready for release.

Awesome. Or, as the French would say, Not bad ;-)

> Side note: I think I've been missing some of the dev@directory.a.o
> messages due to poor email filtering on my part, sorry about that!
>

> Quick recap, in case any of these bits are useful to other Directory projects:
>
> ## Problems with site generation
> maven-site-plugin:4.0.0-M12 seemed to fix those problems.
> There are still a few warts, for example there are properties in the
> footer that are not filtered/interpolated e.g. ${year}
> This site build is largely unused for directory.apache.org, so I'm
> going to ignore this for now, and focus on only the Javadoc generation
>

> ## Javadoc aggregation was failing.
> The Javadoc aggregate goals are not thread safe,
>
> https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/develop/.mvn/maven.config#L1C1-L1C15
> SCIMple has a `.mvn/maven.config` that sets `--threads=1.5C`, this
> works well for most builds, but causes a few issues when running the
> javadoc
> Quick work around, is setting `--threads=1` during a release:
> https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/16aa7e631bdc1f076ce5e696a5e77511297f1356/pom.xml#L609
> javadoc:aggregate and javadoc:aggregate-jar are run as part of the
> `apache-release` profile now, this maybe something we want to push
> into the directory parent pom in the future:
> https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/16aa7e631bdc1f076ce5e696a5e77511297f1356/pom.xml#L809-L822
> (assuming everything works out with this initial release, I'll create a PR)
>

> ## Release Guide
> I started hacking on a release guide:
> https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple/blob/develop/RELEASE_GUIDE.md
> which should get moved to the site after the initial release, but I
> need to walk through these steps before, as i'm sure there some
> issues.

Very nice.

> ## Release Issues
> I don't anticipate any more show stoppers as to getting the release
> out, but I'm guessing there will be a few minor tweaks along the way
>

> ## Voting on the Release!
>
> Given the holidays are in full swing, we need to make sure we have a
> quorum.  Here are some thoughts, on getting the release out:
> - I can try to cut the release today/tomorrow, that ends the vote
> about on Dec 23
> - Stage the release today/tomorrow, allow for extended feedback
> period, and vall the vote the first week of 2024
> - Wait for the release until 2024
>
> My thinking is option 2 might be the best bet, gets the process
> started, but doesn't interrupt any holiday cheer.
>
> Thoughts/feedback welcome!

+ 1 on option # 2.  Nice work Brian!

—
Shawn