Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net> on 2011/05/13 05:41:16 UTC

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 13, 9 am Pacific Time

Hi,

  We will have our regular meeting Friday, May 13 at 9 am Pacific Time
to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

  Dial-in numbers are:
  US Toll free: 866 682-4770
  Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
  Germany Toll free: 08006648515
  (Other countries by request)

  To place the call:
  1. Call the toll free number.
  2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
  3. Enter the security code 1111#

  Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
3.  Other issues

  Action Items from weeks past:
  [April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617 re the utility of the
update operator.
   [Feb 25 2011] AI Michael, Craig, other volunteers: Look at Typesafe
...  query capability for JDOQL
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

  -- Michelle

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 13, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> 1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
>
> Michael checked in the meeting room classes so as to be able to use
> the class with typesafe query tests. Some changes made to facilitate
> using the company package for testing. AI Michael send a patch to dev.

FYI, datanucleus-jdo-query-3.0.0-m2.jar was released some time ago.

Regards
--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 13, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Michael checked in the meeting room classes so as to be able to use
the class with typesafe query tests. Some changes made to facilitate
using the company package for testing. AI Michael send a patch to dev.

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Configuring the IUT. When enhancing, the implementation jar(s) need to
be on the class path. We could use lib/iut that would work similar to
lib/ext. Anything in lib/ext or lib/iut gets added to the class path.

3.  Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:

[April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617
  re the utility of the update operator.

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Enhancement error w/ mvn2, enhancer api

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
Hi Michelle,

> Running the enhancer goal of the TCK with maven 2, I get the following
> error. I'm not sure what the problem is.
> "You have selected to use ClassEnhancer "ASM" yet the JAR for that
> enhancer does not seem to be in the CLASSPATH!"

So asm.jar *is* in the CLASSPATH? I doubt it.

Regards

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 27, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
On 5/27/2011 9:49 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell
>
> Agenda:
>
> 1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
>
> New patch was sent out, using the regular test data (MeetingRoom is
> now an annotated class). Group by queries are working as expected.
>
> Binding the query definition is a real question, since if it is bound
> to a persistence manager, it cannot be reused. If it is bound to a
> persistence manager factory, it could be named, stored in a map, and
> reused by other persistence managers. AI Craig update JDO-652
>
> 2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
>
> Patches for iut testing were checked in. Need to look at cleanup, e.g.
> enhancement. Exclude list seems to work. Still some errors (due to
> external libraries not set up). Run once fails (runs twice). Cleanup
> of the MeetingRoom schema fails. AI discuss details on mail.
This is the error I get for MEETINGROOMS teardown on test
companyOverrideAnnotatedAllRelationshipsFCPM (schema 11):
23:13:17,437 (main) INFO  [org.apache.jdo.tck] - Exception during
localTearDown:
javax.jdo.JDOException: Exception thrown when executing query
         at
org.datanucleus.api.jdo.NucleusJDOHelper.getJDOExceptionForNucleusException(NucleusJDOHelper.java:537)
         at org.datanucleus.api.jdo.JDOQuery.execute(JDOQuery.java:230)
         at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.getAllObjects(JDO_Test.java:479)
         at
org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.deleteTearDownClasses(JDO_Test.java:454)
         at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.localTearDown(JDO_Test.java:376)
         at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.tearDown(JDO_Test.java:343)
         at org.apache.jdo.tck.JDO_Test.runBare(JDO_Test.java:286)
         at junit.textui.TestRunner.doRun(TestRunner.java:116)
         at
org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.doRun(BatchTestRunner.java:108)
         at
org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.start(BatchTestRunner.java:148)
         at
org.apache.jdo.tck.util.BatchTestRunner.main(BatchTestRunner.java:123)
NestedThrowablesStackTrace:
java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Table/View
'APPLICATIONIDENTITY11.MEETINGROOMS' does not exist.
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown
Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown
Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown
Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement20.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement30.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement40.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.newEmbedPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 3, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Proposal for refactoring the different interfaces has been added to
the JIRA: QueryDefinition that defines the query, QueryProjection that
optionally defines the projection if not the candidate class, and
QueryExecution that encapsulates the runtime binding parameters and
PersistenceManager.

The TypesafeQuery is an easier-to-use interface that assumes that the
PersistenceManager is available but it's not as general as
QueryDefinition that can be obtained from the PersistenceManagerFactory.

Take a look.

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

When running the tck with the IUT, all of the IUT jar files including
transitive dependencies must be in lib/ext. We want users to be able
to run the tck "out of the box" using the ri, but run their own iut by
identifying their jar files. Maven wants to help ensure a repeatable
build, but when running the iut we don't want repeatable builds.

The solution may be to define the ri as a profile that can be enabled
by default but disabled when running the iut.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Testing the iut is now working and checked in. Set -Djdo.tck.impl=iut
on the command line when you invoke mvn install and you will use the
implementation in the lib/iut directory.

The exectck goals are now ready for extensive testing. Start with the
help: mvn jdo-exectck:help

2.  Other issues

Typesafe query proposal: bound versus unbound query definition: AI
Craig update JIRA.

Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 17, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> Is there any implementation issue for JDO-650? This is the conditional
> operator ?: in JDOQL.

No idea, not had time to implement it. Since no DataNucleus user has requested
such functionality it hasn't featured high on my priority list. If someone
wants to have a go the code to look at is in

http://datanucleus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/datanucleus/platform/core/trunk/src/java/org/datanucleus/query/
to generic compile that syntax, and provide for in-memory evaluation

and then
http://datanucleus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/datanucleus/platform/store.rdbms/trunk/src/java/org/datanucleus/store/rdbms/query/QueryToSQLMapper.java?revision=13037&view=markup
to convert the generic compilation into SQL

Otherwise I'd suggest it is deferred. Obviously JPQL has "CASE" and that is
coded, so you could copy some of that code.

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
On Sunday 19 Jun 2011 22:01:09 Michelle Caisse wrote:
> This error was because the classes had not yet been compiled. To run the
> individual goals, mvn compile needs to be called before mvn
> jdo-exectck:enhance.

Thx.

When I do an enhance via
mvn clean compile jdo-exectck:enhance

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building JDO 3 Technology Compatibility Kit
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, compile, jdo-exectck:enhance]
[INFO]
[INFO] [clean:clean {execution: default-clean}]
[INFO] Deleting /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/target
[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class =>
'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] snapshot javax.jdo:jdo-api:3.1-SNAPSHOT: checking for updates from
apache.snapshots
[INFO] [resources:resources {execution: default-resources}]
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 1 resource to META-INF
[INFO] Copying 78 resources
[INFO] Copying 136 resources
[INFO] Copying 130 resources
[INFO] Copying 24 resources
[INFO] Copying 12 resources
[INFO] Copying 3 resources
[INFO] [compiler:compile {execution: default-compile}]
[INFO] Compiling 851 source files to
/usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/target/classes
[INFO] [jdo-exectck:enhance {execution: default-cli}]
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (DataNucleus.Enhancer).
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/jdo
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/orm
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/testdata
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/jdo
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/orm
Enhancing classes in /usr/local/tck/jdo/trunk/tck/src/testdata

Observations:-

1. log4j needs configuring to remove those WARNs (i.e add
"DataNucleus.Enhancer" category to whatever log4j.properties is being used for
the enhance process)
Where do I find the enhancer logs now ? log not present under
target/logs/enhancer

2. Why enhance in all of those locations ? (twice) most of them don't have
classes. Should be a single run of the enhancer on the test classes, with the
metadata in the CLASSPATH.

3. How can I skip the schema install ? when I call "mvn install" it currently
always runs (it doesn't always run with Maven1).

[4. Obviously, before we can ditch Maven1, need to be able to have properties
specifiable so user can select identity type, and configuration ... the -D
option mentioned before]

Regards

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> > 2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
> >
> > One minor issue left with configuration lists. Ready to remove maven 1
> > stuff? Everyone should try it out!
>
> Ok, but what do I do ? Maybe I just need a pointer to a README?

If I do
cd api; mvn clean install
cd exectck; mvn clean install
cd tck; mvn clean jdo-exectck:installSchema
then it installs the schema

If i then do
mvn jdo-exectck:enhance
then I get
[INFO] [jdo-exectck:enhance {execution: default-cli}]
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Parameter 'directory' is not a directory
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Parameter 'directory' is not a directory
        at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.listFiles(FileUtils.java:293)
        at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.listFiles(FileUtils.java:378)
        at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.iterateFiles(FileUtils.java:396)
        at org.apache.jdo.exectck.Enhance.execute(Enhance.java:169)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:490)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:569)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:387)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:348)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:180)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:328)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:138)
        at
org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:60)
        at
        at

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
I can't reproduce this. I don't know where those messages would have
come from, since those dependencies are not referred to anywhere (except
connectionpool in a variable setting in project.xml, but this is not
relevant).

-- Michelle

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@datanucleus.org>.
> 2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
>
> One minor issue left with configuration lists. Ready to remove maven 1
> stuff? Everyone should try it out!

Ok, but what do I do ? Maybe I just need a pointer to a README?

from trunk/tck if I type
"mvn clean test"
I get
POM Location: Artifact [org.apache.jdo:jdo-exectck:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
Validation Messages:

    [0]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for
org.datanucleus:datanucleus-jpa:jar
    [1]  'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for
org.datanucleus:datanucleus-connectionpool:jar

Reason: Failed to validate POM for project org.apache.jdo:jdo-exectck at
Artifact [org.apache.jdo:jdo-exectck:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT]

What are those datanucleus dependencies ? we don't use those any more. The
project.xml points to DN 3.0 jars

If I go to trunk and type
mvn clean test
I get
 T E S T S
There are no tests to run.

Results :

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO]
[INFO] Java Data Objects (JDO) ............................... SUCCESS
[2.664s]
[INFO] JDO API ............................................... SUCCESS
[11.716s]
[INFO] jdo-exectck Maven Mojo ................................ SUCCESS
[3.177s]
[INFO] JDO 3 Technology Compatibility Kit .................... SUCCESS
[7.133s]

It doesn't appear to have run the tests.

Regards

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 8, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Add TCK query test using methods in the query result. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-580

The JIRA was updated with the proposed spec change. Looks good.

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

The log4j issue seems to be a class loader problem. The exectck
enhance goal needs to set up the class path of the enhancer itself to
include the jdo api jar, the ext/iut jars, and the ext/iut directory
(so files such as log4j.properties can be edited by the iut developer
and found at runtime). The enhancer needs to use the class loader that
loaded itself in order to find resources (not the context class
loader). AI Michelle file a JIRA or two.

3.  JDO 3.1 release planning https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO/fixforversion/12314921

Making progress on closing issues.

4. Other issues

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 22, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Still having trouble with class loaders. The context class loader used
by the enhancer needs to include all of the jars and classes in the
lib/iut directory but also needs to inherit the context class loader
used by the exectck Enhance class. This is because the Enhance class
uses the Enhancer interface when calling the enhancer and the Enhancer
interface must be loaded by the same class loader.

In order to allow the iut to override settings of the exectck
environment, it might be useful to allow exectck Enhance to set some
system properties prior to calling the iut enhancer. Perhaps a file
exectck-system.properties could be used for this purpose.

2.  Other issues

CANCELED: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday,AUG 5, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

  We will NOT have our regular meeting Friday, Aug 5.  Back again next week.

  -- Michelle

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
Same here.  -- Michelle

> Is there no meeting today?  I'm on the call and I'm just hearing some
> really
> awesome music...
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  We will have our regular meeting Friday, September 10 at 9 am Pacific
>> Time
>>  to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.
>>
>>  Dial-in numbers are:
>>  US Toll free: 866 682-4770
>>  Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
>>  Germany Toll free: 08006648515
>>  (Other countries by request)
>>
>>  To place the call:
>>  1. Call the toll free number.
>>  2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
>>  3. Enter the security code 1111#
>>
>>  Agenda:
>>
>> 1.  3.0.1 release
>> 2.  Other issues
>>
>>  Action Items from weeks past:
>>
>>  [April 8 2011] AI Craig comment on https://issues.apache.org/**
>> jira/browse/JDO-617 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617> re
>> the
>> utility of the update operator.
>>
>>  -- Michelle

> --
> @matthewadams12
> mailto:matthew@matthewadams.me
> skype:matthewadams12
> yahoo:matthewadams
> aol:matthewadams12
> google-talk:matthewadams12@gmail.com
> msn:matthew@matthewadams.me
> http://matthewadams.me
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthewadams

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by mc...@sonic.net.
No problem. Skype works well for most people. Maybe it will work for me,
too, soon.

-- Michelle

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Michelle,

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 10, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Matthew Adams, Michelle Caisse, Craig
Russell

Agenda:

1.  3.0.1 release

Patch was attached to the JIRA. Needs review. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-684

The patch looks good.

In order to distribute an Apache release the release must be signed by
a gpg key. AI Matthew make a key pair to use for the release signing.
More info at http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing

Create a new release JDO 3 update 1 to include this fix. Assign
JDO-684 to Matthew.

Hopefully we can also get a patch for JDO-685 as well but not a blocker.

2.  Other issues

Enum in query https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658

Can use the FieldsOfSimpleEnum class for test data, mapped to
SimpleEnumName table (there are two ways to map enums: ordinal and
name).

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 12, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  Datastoreidentity "detach" test

It looks like DataNucleus has always been creating schema elements
dynamically. The spec is not specific about how the implementation is
required to support the increment strategy. This should be resolved
and put into the spec.

Meanwhile, we can change the test case from increment to sequence and
change the autocreatetable property to be false (again). AI Michael
create a JIRA to track this.

2.  JDOQL : Support for further methods (String, Enum, Date,
JDOHelper): patch available https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658

Many of the proposed new methods are covered by the test case. AI
Michael review the patch in detail and update the JIRA description
with all the tested methods.

3. Other issues

AI Craig review Apache POM build/release process for maven2 builds.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 19, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
NOTE: Next week, conference calling will not be available, so the
conference will be done via Skype. If anyone is interested in
attending, please let us know. My Skype id is craiglrussell; Michael
is mbouschen; Michelle is mcaisse.

Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  Datastoreidentity "detach" test. AI Michael file a JIRA to change
the test to avoid creating schema (avoid using increment strategy
pending resolution of requirements for increment).

[Aug 12 2011] AI Michael review the https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658
  patch in detail and update the JIRA description with all the tested
methods.

[Aug 12 2011] AI Craig review Apache POM build/release process for
maven2 builds

[Apr  08 2011] AI Craig comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-617

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Aug 26, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
I'd like to join.  My skype id is matthewadams12.

Re: CANCELLED: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Sep 02, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.
Sure, although I have no idea how to do that.  Can you RMTFM?

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Matthew,

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.me>.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-658 patch in detail and update

Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 29, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

No progress. Hacking the exectck to make the iut pass ruined the state
of the ri testing.

2.  Other issues

Some change affected the ability to run the tck without having dynamic
schema creation for sequence tables. This needs a bit more
investigation to determine whether there is a bug in the tck. The
assumption to date has been that since schema creation is not defined
in JDO, automatic schema creation should not be used by the tck.

My working assumption is that if there are sequence tables missing,
they should be created in the .sql scripts, not dynamically.

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 15, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Hi,

  We will have our regular meeting Friday, July 15 at 9 am Pacific Time
to discuss JDO TCK issues and status.

  Dial-in numbers are:
  US Toll free: 866 682-4770
  Germany Frankfurt 069222216106
  Germany Toll free: 08006648515
  (Other countries by request)

  To place the call:
  1. Call the toll free number.
  2. Enter the conference number 939-3689#
  3. Enter the security code 1111#

  Agenda:

1.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647
2.  Asynchronous database ops in JDO

JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July81, 9 am Pacific Time

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 1, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees:

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

no news

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Still no appenders for log4j in the log file. The file
log4j.properties is in the classpath. Anyone else have any ideas?

3.  JDO 3.1 release planning  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO/fixforversion/12314921

4. Other issues

We should use the Apache pom to build and sign the release packages.
AI Craig look into how to do this.

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, June 24, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

No change

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

- log4j needs configuring to remove those WARNs (i.e add
"DataNucleus.Enhancer" category to whatever log4j.properties is being
used for the enhance process) Where do I find the enhancer logs now ?
log not present under target/logs/enhancer

Looks like the log4j.properties file isn't being found. Probably need
to update the exectck enhance module.

- Why enhance in all of those locations ? (twice) most of them don't
have classes. Should be a single run of the enhancer on the test
classes, with the metadata in the CLASSPATH.

Should be fixed with the latest checkin.

Now, the benefit to using mvn is in the release process which should
be much smoother. AI Craig file a JIRA to update the release process.

3.  JDO 3.1 release planning

Defer to next week.

4. Other issues

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-580 Should all methods that
are valid in filters be ok for results? AI Michael see which methods
have been implemented in DataNucleus and have test cases.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

The changes in the API as proposed for discussion in the JIRA need to
be discussed. There is a use case for a query definition not bound to
a PM and this is the major motivation for the proposal.

For example, the difference between a query definition that is bound
to a PM and one that is not bound might be either a state difference
(isBound()) or an interface difference.

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

One minor issue left with configuration lists. Ready to remove maven 1
stuff? Everyone should try it out!

3.  JDO 3.1 release planning https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO/fixforversion/12314921

There are still a lot of open issues. Which of these should be fixed
before 3.1 is released?

Is there any implementation issue for JDO-650? This is the conditional
operator ?: in JDOQL.

JDO-580 needs a spec update. AI Michael update the JIRA.

Others with assigned open issues: please update status of the JIRA
issues. Items that are not almost ready to ship should be moved to
either unscheduled or 3.2.

4. Other issues

Posted by Michelle Caisse <mc...@sonic.net>.
Running the enhancer goal of the TCK with maven 2, I get the following
error. I'm not sure what the problem is.

You have selected to use ClassEnhancer "ASM" yet the JAR for that
enhancer does not seem to be in the CLASSPATH!
org.datanucleus.enhancer.NucleusEnhanceException: You have selected to
use ClassEnhancer "ASM" yet the JAR for that enhancer does not seem to
be in the CLASSPATH!
         at
org.datanucleus.enhancer.DataNucleusEnhancer.init(DataNucleusEnhancer.java:210)
         at
org.datanucleus.enhancer.DataNucleusEnhancer.addClasses(DataNucleusEnhancer.java:392)
         at
org.datanucleus.jdo.JDODataNucleusEnhancer.addClasses(JDODataNucleusEnhancer.java:89)
         at org.apache.jdo.exectck.Enhance.execute(Enhance.java:213)
         at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:490)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:694)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:556)
         at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:535)

Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, May 20, 9 am Pacific Time

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Attendees: Michelle Caisse, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Typesafe queries for JDOQL - discussion.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652

Michael is trying to get a group by query to run. How to specify
grouping versus the result to obtain isn't completely obvious.

AI Craig: write up separation of query execution context that can bind
parameters and add it to the JIRA.

2.  Maven 2 upgrade https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-647

Michelle has implemented the iut exectck goal. Looking into run rules
and exclude list handling. Should be able to check in soon.