Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brandt Mackay <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/28 18:46:27 UTC

Cannot access or download from google code repository

This is what has been happening every time I download from the SVN on Google
Code:

This issue is comes from anything hosted on google code (snes9xgx,
etc.) and I posted this same issue
on there, but I was directed to this location instead (since the author of
Snes9xgx can't do anything about it). This has to do with not being able to
download snes9xgx or anything else from SVN for that matter, via SVN. In
the past, I have downloaded without any issues, and I have an internet
filter installed, which does not conflict with the SVN host.

*What steps will reproduce the problem?*
Step 1.Download and install any SVN program
Step 2.Go to the google code source checkout
Step 3.Insert the SVN checkout code in SVN program
and where you want to download it to.

*What is the expected output? What do you see instead?*
Should checkout the SVN with no issues, instead, the error
reads "connection refused by the server" on all SVN programs I tried

*What browser (or hg/svn client) are you using? On what operating system?*
Rapid SVN, Smart SVN, Synchro SVN and Tortoise SVN. Tried on both Windows
XP and Windows 7

Here it the error output:

Command Checkout from
http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/sussman/software/subversion/svn-cal/

Error OPTIONS of
http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/sussman/software/subversion/svn-cal/

Error 200 OK (http://svn.redbean.com)

Finished!

This is what a get no matter how my different combinations I use. As
far as Windows 7
firewalls go, I wouldn't know what exactly has to be changed.

RE: Cannot access or download from google code repository

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> This is what has been happening every time I download from the SVN on
> Google Code:
> This issue is comes from anything hosted on google code (snes9xgx, etc.)
> and I posted this same issue
> on there, but I was directed to this location instead (since the author of
>
> Snes9xgx can't do anything about it). This has to do with not being able
> download snes9xgx or anything else from SVN for that matter, via SVN. In
> the past, I have downloaded without any issues, and I have an internet
> filter installed, which does not conflict with the SVN host.
>
> What steps will reproduce the problem?
> Step 1.Download and install any SVN program
> Step 2.Go to the google code source checkout
> Step 3.Insert the SVN checkout code in SVN program
>
> and where you want to download it to.
>
> What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
> Should checkout the SVN with no issues, instead, the error
> reads "connection refused by the server" on all SVN programs I tried
>

> What browser (or hg/svn client) are you using? On what operating system?
> Rapid SVN, Smart SVN, Synchro SVN and Tortoise SVN. Tried on both Windows
> XP and Windows 7
>
> Here it the error output:
>

> Command Checkout from http://svn.red-
> bean.com/repos/sussman/software/subversion/svn-cal/
>
> Error OPTIONS of http://svn.red-
> bean.com/repos/sussman/software/subversion/svn-cal/
>

> Error 200 OK (http://svn.redbean.com)
>
> Finished!
>
> This is what a get no matter how my different combinations I use. As far
> as Windows 7
> firewalls go, I wouldn't know what exactly has to be changed.

I just ran this command:

svn co http://svn.red-bean.com/repos/sussman/software/subversion/svn-cal/ test

and it checked out without a problem. I am using the collabnet binaries on windows 7 64-bit.

C:\Users\rarch\Development>svn --version
svn, version 1.6.6 (r40053)
   compiled Oct 19 2009, 09:36:48

Copyright (C) 2000-2009 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_neon : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using Neon.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - with Cyrus SASL authentication
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV protocol using serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

BOb

Re: Cannot access or download from google code repository

Posted by Mike Dixon <mi...@denovosoftware.com>.
Brandt Mackay wrote:
> This is what has been happening every time I download from the SVN on
> Google Code:
>
> *What browser (or hg/svn client) are you using? On what operating system?*
> Rapid SVN, Smart SVN, Synchro SVN and Tortoise SVN. Tried on both Windows
> XP and Windows 7
>
> *What steps will reproduce the problem?*
> Step 1.Download and install any SVN program
> Step 2.Go to the google code source checkout
> Step 3.Insert the SVN checkout code in SVN program
> and where you want to download it to.

Hi Brandt,

It's possible that it's a problem with your firewall or connection, but
  this is my guess (since I've done this myself a couple of times):

You went to the page on Google Code that gives you the command to use to
check out the project, and copy-pasted the path into your GUI-style SVN
client. The problem is, what GCode gives you is something like this:

   svn checkout http://proj.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ proj-read-only

Which is correct... for the svn command-line program, "svn". But what
you pasted into the GUI was something like this:

   http://proj.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ proj-read-only
                                        ^
The catch is this space here ----------^

That's not a typo; when you're using the command-line svn, it's the
delimiter between the real checkout path and the local location that you
want to checkout to, when you're sending it to the command-line svn app.

What your GUI client is looking for is just the path, ie:

   http://proj.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Of course, it's entirely possible that it's actually your firewall or
something, and that I'm the only one ever to make this mistake, and now
everyone's going to laugh at me. :)

-Mike