Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com> on 2003/01/01 03:13:41 UTC

Re: Specific Steps to Release

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>
> Yes, talking about signing.  I know about the tools.  It was the
procedures
> I was wondering about.  Do we have any notion of a web of trust, or do I
> simply make for myself an ad hoc key and stick it in a file?  Do we have a
> KEY file already, with keys for previous Release Managers?

I don't believe it has ever been done for James.

It is however highly recommended. Some time back the passwd file was stolen
and posted on the net.

The real danger was that someone would add trojon horse to builds, folks
would download and a few years later modified(hacked) Apache software would
run on a lot of sites.

This actual attack highlighted the importance of signing releases. I believe
the process for key pair generation and use is documented to some extent in
Orielly SSH book http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg/index.html.
I should have this book somewhere and should be able to verify. This
information should also be somewhere on the Apache site.

I think this is the process - you generate a key pair, put your public key
at Apache machines and your private key with yourself. Login to ssh via
using this key pair. Sign release using your private key.
I don't know if there is a web of trust in place. It would be good and would
be nice if Apache was a CA, but at present I don't think trust relatioships
like certificate chains etc is in place.

Harmeet

RE: Distribution signing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Er, make that infrastructure@.