Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/07/12 15:16:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 Release Plans - Release around August 3rd - Just a thought

I saw a note from Gianny this morning about WADI and making a
versioned release.  His comment was that he could make ait available
a few days ahead of time.  So I guess that beg's the question when
will we release.  I thought I'd summarize my thoughts and solicit
input from folks.

Since we passed CTS in early June on 2.0-M6-rc1 I think the remaining
items that I've been thinking we needed to release are:

* Fit and finish items
    - look at reducing footprint
    - Running DayTrader and validating the server functioning, being
consistent with 1.x where appropriate and being stable
    - Performance is better than 1.x where appropriate
    - Get the legal stuff out of the way.

* Functional items
    - Axis indicated they were almost there with JAXWS and Dims has
been involved in the G integration
    - Complete CTS testing
    - Testing and documentation

On the Axis front I've been watching their dev list and there seems
to be some notion of being complete around July 20 (Friday).  If we
assume that is around the right time I expect we can start a set of
TCK runs on the 23rd.  Allow a few weeks to finish that process and
we can put together a binary for vote around the end of July.  I
guess a target release date would be around August 3rd (nothing hard
but it seems about right).

Once we have the major kinks knocked out wrt to CTS we should
probably branch (around the 30th ?) and focus on getting our binaries
out.

Based on previous e-mails I believe we are shipping the following
certified releases:

Tomcat - Axis 2 - OpenJPA
Jetty - CXF - OpenJPA

Along with the minimal assemblies.

Prasad has put together a Wiki so we can track down our outstanding
SNAPSHOTs and start getting them locked down as well.  For projects
that won't be releasing I suggest we look for folks to grab and build
those projects and get the artifacts into our repo in the SVN tree so
we minimize external disruptions.

Other thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 Release Plans - Release around August 3rd - Just a thought

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> Based on previous e-mails I believe we are shipping the following
>> certified releases:
>>
>> Tomcat - Axis 2 - OpenJPA
>> Jetty - CXF - OpenJPA
>>

> I think if we are going to ship these assemblies, we also should very
> clearly document how to switch between web service containers (i.e.
> "the
> switch property") as there is quite a bit of religious war as to which
> people desire.

I think that's a good idea. We could do the same with Web Containers
as well, if desired...

I'd like to see our release criteria settled before setting a date...

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 Release Plans - Release around August 3rd - Just a thought

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Based on previous e-mails I believe we are shipping the following
> certified releases:
>
> Tomcat - Axis 2 - OpenJPA
> Jetty - CXF - OpenJPA

I think if we are going to ship these assemblies, we also should very
clearly document how to switch between web service containers (i.e. "the
switch property") as there is quite a bit of religious war as to which
people desire.

Jeff

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 Release Plans - Release around August 3rd - Just a thought

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I think I would like to branch on Monday.  I'll put out a notice.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Do I hear releasing v2.0 in early August? ;-)

I put the template out for the release notes, here is the link.

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC20/release-notes-20txt.html

I added some new sections and moved around others. This is going to be the next full-blown release since v1.1.1 so there is a lot of land to cover in terms of "significant changes in this release" and new features. So please update the wiki directly or reply to this thread and I'll consolidate the updates.

Cheers!
Hernan