Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2000/12/11 20:40:21 UTC

'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

As it was said before, successfull projects are self-fueled once they get
to the press. Look at this article dated Nov 7, 2000.
http://www.WebDevelopersJournal.com/articles/why_php.html

The article starts with what seems to be a hard evidence:

"According to NetCraft surveys, PHP is now the most popular module for the
Apache server and in total running on something like two million Web
sites. Here are some of the reasons why PHP is such a popular server side
scripting language"

But nobody knows how many mod_perl servers out there, since many run
behind the proxy so NetCraft stats aren't really correct. So it's possible
that there are more mod_perl servers than mod_php servers... well, we
don't know...

Anyone is willing to write a rebate
article? Please contact Webmaster@WebDevelopersJournal.com .

BTW, I'm not saying that article is not fair -- it's very fair. It's just
that it doesn't mention mod_perl (only Perl...). So may be it's not a
rebate call but "me too" article request :)

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/

Re: [OT] Re: 'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
At 01:23 PM 12/11/00 -0800, tom@grubby.net wrote:
> > Is rebate in the sense of the word that the amount is reduced an
> American thing?
>
>Hmmm. I hadn't thought about it, but come to think of it, I think it is
>used more extensively in America. The sense it has here is more of a
>partial refund, as in "Buy this mouse and send in the manufacturer's
>coupon - you get a $10 rebate"
>Or as in tax rebate.
>
>I'm actually English, but I can't really think of it being used much in
>England. Or maybe I've just been here too long :)
Apple uses the term rebate here in Singapore (eg right now they offer that
if you buy a G4 + a crappy Apple monitor and get enough money back as a
rebate to make buying the crappy monitor almost worth it).

Later,
    Gunther

PS Don't tell anyone I am buying a G4...

Re: [OT] Re: 'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

Posted by to...@grubby.net.
> Is rebate in the sense of the word that the amount is reduced an American thing?

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about it, but come to think of it, I think it is used more extensively in America. The sense it has here is more of a partial refund, as in "Buy this mouse and send in the manufacturer's coupon - you get a $10 rebate"
Or as in tax rebate.

I'm actually English, but I can't really think of it being used much in England. Or maybe I've just been here too long :)

Tom

Re: [OT] Re: 'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 15:58 11/12/2000 -0500, Aaron Johnson wrote:
>Actually in some context rebate will do.
>
>One meaning of rebate is:
>Middle English rabet, from Old French rabat:
>recess in a wall, act of beating down,
>from rabattre,
>to beat down again;
>
>Is rebate in the sense of the word that the amount is reduced an American
>thing?

I don't think so. Both usages come from the French rabat/rabattre/rabaisser
(rabattre and rabaisser have somewhat branched in French but they were the
same back then). Rabaisser has the amount reduced meaning (amongst others)
while rabattre is what you do when you bring something to a specific place
using various techniques. You would rabattre (rebate) a prey to where it
might be caught (eg by having lots of advertising people beating drums in
the forest so that you run away to the place where the marketing people are
ambushed to sell something to you).

-- robin b.
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party?  Surely not for
you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have simply
sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi.

[OT] Re: 'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

Posted by Aaron Johnson <so...@gina.net>.
Actually in some context rebate will do.

One meaning of rebate is:
Middle English rabet, from Old French rabat:
recess in a wall, act of beating down,
from rabattre,
to beat down again;

Is rebate in the sense of the word that the amount is reduced an American thing?

Aaron Johnson

Posted by Jimi Thompson <jt...@link.com>.
Count me in!  I'll help!

--
Jimi Thompson
Web Master

"It's the same thing we do every night, Pinky."

Re: 'why mod_perl' rebate anybody?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.