Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> on 2004/06/18 16:23:34 UTC

JNLP Plugin fixes

Hi everyone,

Just want to get this of my back :)

I know time is limiting, so this is not criticism..
Talking about http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJNLP-13
It is in JIRA that long, but it is holding me back to do more
development on this, since a lot of things are not supported yet in this
plugin, which we need. (I like to send in my patches / commits in
relation to one problem, so you can more easily see what is contained in
the change and assess the risks involved of patching).
I try to have my patches exactly according all rules set by the maven
projects (style, updated changes, updated xdocs), which takes some extra
time to get correct.

Since I hit "critical" paths most of the time (I am taking care of
making sure people can release the system easily, but I don't do the
release myself), I am no hitting problems with the waiting patches.

The only solution without demanding things from the maven people I can
think of is (permanently) forking plugins when there is something wrong
with it and it is critical for me to have the change do asap. This will
save me a lot of time, since I don't have to send patches, wait for them
to be applied, send in the next batch of patches, explaining to my
collegues what they have to do to get things working again, you probably
get the picture..

Any feedback would be appreciated.

--
Mvgr,
Martin

Re: JNLP Plugin fixes

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Mine too indeed.. But testing for plugins is not high on the list for
the maven project, else there would actually be more tests present than
currently.. I've closed the issue and withdrawn the patch..

Mvgr,
Martin

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 00:32, Dion Gillard wrote:
> My only comment is that I'm a lot more confident applying patches when
> a test project or updated test project comes with them. That way I can
> easily verify all is ok.
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:23:34 +0200, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Just want to get this of my back :)
> >
> > I know time is limiting, so this is not criticism..
> > Talking about http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJNLP-13
> > It is in JIRA that long, but it is holding me back to do more
> > development on this, since a lot of things are not supported yet in this
> > plugin, which we need. (I like to send in my patches / commits in
> > relation to one problem, so you can more easily see what is contained in
> > the change and assess the risks involved of patching).
> > I try to have my patches exactly according all rules set by the maven
> > projects (style, updated changes, updated xdocs), which takes some extra
> > time to get correct.
> >
> > Since I hit "critical" paths most of the time (I am taking care of
> > making sure people can release the system easily, but I don't do the
> > release myself), I am no hitting problems with the waiting patches.
> >
> > The only solution without demanding things from the maven people I can
> > think of is (permanently) forking plugins when there is something wrong
> > with it and it is critical for me to have the change do asap. This will
> > save me a lot of time, since I don't have to send patches, wait for them
> > to be applied, send in the next batch of patches, explaining to my
> > collegues what they have to do to get things working again, you probably
> > get the picture..
> >
> > Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Mvgr,