Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org> on 2013/02/04 20:07:52 UTC

MRM inside Eclipse

Am 30.01.2013 23:16, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
> On 30/01/2013 4:54 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

>> I'd really love to have an MRM for the repo that m2e runs inside the
>> Eclipse workspace. That would be useful; Eclipse's "Maven
>> Repositories" view is extremely limited (essentially it's just a
>> display of all GAV coordinates available, which is a start but just a
>> start).
>
> That is what we do. Eclipse/STS is eclipse with everything that you need
> already installed.

Ah, I wasn't aware that STS exists.
Could become useful at work, we're using Spring for webservice and
transactions there, with options for using more modules; better Maven
tooling would be most welcome there.

> We use the Nexus repo on our server for browsing oher repos and hosting
> our own and carrying non-maven jars.
>
> None of my guys can use DOS command line Maven.

Okay.

> If you want to do a SKype session, I can show you our Eclipse and Maven
> Repo. Would that help?

No Skype here. I don't trust it near my private data.

I found STS in the marketplace, and it lists all the plugins that it
comes with, so I installed Spring IDE Maven support.
Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any additional Maven-related facilities.
Is it in some other plugin? (I want to avoid installing plugins with
abandon, Eclipse is already slow enough as it is.)

Regards,
Jo

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 06.02.2013 22:51, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>> To mention it about the fifth time:
>> The m2e repo is NOT the local cache repo.
>> The m2e repo lives in in an Eclipse-managed directory (in
>> .metadata/plugins IIRC).
>> The local (cache) repo lives in ~/.m2.
>>
>> These two repos are shown in the Maven Repositories tab in Eclipse,
>> .m2 as "Local Repositories -> Local Repository", the m2e one as "Local
>> Repositories -> Workspace Projects".
>>
> I do not have any repo in .metadata/plugins. that I could find.

Yeah, I just found out I was mistaken about that. m2e is installing
directly to .m2.
What got me thrown off-track was that Maven was listing Eclipse projects
along with things it classified as "repository".

Sorry, my bad.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 06/02/2013 2:06 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 06.02.2013 19:03, schrieb Baptiste MATHUS:
>> Le 6 févr. 2013 18:26, "Joachim Durchholz" <jo...@durchholz.org> a écrit :
>>>
>>> I have two issues here:
>>> 1) The m2e repo is soaking up disk space (which isn't a real issue
>>> except
>> it's slowing down backups)
>>> 2) The m2e repo is defining coordinates that I want to get rid to, to
>> double-check that my poms don't refer to these invalid coordinates. This
>> actually bit me - a build worked because it happened to find an old
>> snapshot artifact that I had renamed, and my coworker didn't have that
>> coordinate because that invalid artifact never hit any disk except mine.
>>
>> A good practice is to just wipe out the Maven local repo on a regular
>> basis
>> (I do it something like once a week on my machine and it's configured
>> to do
>> that in CI once a day)
>
> To mention it about the fifth time:
> The m2e repo is NOT the local cache repo.
> The m2e repo lives in in an Eclipse-managed directory (in
> .metadata/plugins IIRC).
> The local (cache) repo lives in ~/.m2.
>
> These two repos are shown in the Maven Repositories tab in Eclipse,
> .m2 as "Local Repositories -> Local Repository", the m2e one as "Local
> Repositories -> Workspace Projects".

I do not have any repo in .metadata/plugins. that I could find.
I am not sure where they came from but I would be surprised if they
could not be deleted and automatically repopulated by maven and m2e.
I switch workspaces every so often and start with a new one with no ill
effects.

>> This use case can happen, but one should never consider local
>> repository as
>> something to manage (you should exclude it.from the backup btw). The
>> *local
>> repo is a _cache_ really*.
>
> Yes, and it should be named "local cache" instead of "local
> repository" to eliminate just the kind of confusion you just exhibited.
+1

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Le 6 févr. 2013 18:26, "Joachim Durchholz" <jo...@durchholz.org> a écrit :

> Am 06.02.2013 15:46, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>
>> The Nexus MRM has a web browser interface that we use to manage MRM
>> activities.
>> Other than searching the MRM for new libraries to get their GAV info,
>> there is really not a lot of interaction between developers and the MRM
>> since Maven will get what is there and the MRM knows how to talk to the
>> other MRMs that it is proxying.
>

> I have two issues here:
> 1) The m2e repo is soaking up disk space (which isn't a real issue except
it's slowing down backups)
> 2) The m2e repo is defining coordinates that I want to get rid to, to
double-check that my poms don't refer to these invalid coordinates. This
actually bit me - a build worked because it happened to find an old
snapshot artifact that I had renamed, and my coworker didn't have that
coordinate because that invalid artifact never hit any disk except mine.

A good practice is to just wipe out the Maven local repo on a regular basis
(I do it something like once a week on my machine and it's configured to do
that in CI once a day)

This use case can happen, but one should never consider local repository as
something to manage (you should exclude it.from the backup btw). The *local
repo is a _cache_ really*.

>> You seem to want to do one thing that we would not do - capture interim
>> releases from third parties.
>

> I want to do that and do that, but it's unrelated to what I'm after in
this subthread.
> Except that MRM functionality in m2e would allow me to do away with yet
another locally installed repository, of course.

You keep talking about a "mrm functionality" in M2E which actually does
*not* exist. If you think I'm wrong, just ask M2e developers about that.
M2E is not a mrm at all.

-- Cheers

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 06/02/2013 8:27 AM, Toolforger wrote:
> Am 06.02.2013 11:15, schrieb Adrien Rivard:
>> I'm not sure that that the latest m2e have more in the maven
>> repositories
>> view than what you already have
>
> I did have a test install of m2e with Juno, and sure enough, one of
> the things I checked was the Maven view.
> Unfortunately, I couldn't detect anything new there.
>
> So the question still stands: What Eclipse plugin carries MRM
> functionality?
> If that's m2e: How do I access it?
>
> BTW googling for m2e and mrm just turned up this thread, plus a few
> bug tracker entries that I didn't bother to check.
>
> Regards,
> Jo

The Nexus MRM has a web browser interface that we use to manage MRM
activities.
Other than searching the MRM for new libraries to get their GAV info,
there is really not a lot of interaction between developers and the MRM
since Maven will get what is there and the MRM knows how to talk to the
other MRMs that it is proxying.
It is case of "set it up and forget it" except when we need to update a
non-mavenized 3rd party project.

You seem to want to do one thing that we would not do - capture interim
releases from third parties.
We update our 3rd party libraries fairly infrequently and it is a
project management function rather than a developer activity.

You may want a maven plug-in that downloads artifacts from an SCM and
packages them as SNAPSHOTs in your SNAPSHOT MRM.
I suppose that you could probably do this as a batch job on a schedule
if that met your needs.

Ron

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 07/02/2013 4:32 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 06.02.2013 23:43, schrieb Adrien Rivard:
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Now I'm wondering where m2e is putting things if I run a Maven
>>> launch with
>>> an "install" target.
>>> It's definitely not going to ~/.m2/repository.
>>>
>> It may depends on your settings.xml used by eclipse(see
>> preferences/maven),
>
> None set up here, so it's the default for me.
>
>> but by default they are going there. And you don't need to run an
>> "install", just refresh/build the project with eclipse.
>
> Hm... testing with a parent project...
>
> ... nope. Running a Maven launch with a "package" goal doesn't add any
> file to disk as far as I can tell.
>
> Specifying the "install" goal puts it into .m2.
> Okay, that finally falsifies my assumption that m2e is managing its
> own repository.
>
> IIRC "install" is necessary if you switch off Workspace Resolution.
> I'm having issues with Workspace Resolution. It seems that a jar
> update (overwrite, really) done during the package phase isn't
> properly recognized by m2e.

We don't use Workspace Resolution either.
I don't remember what the problems were but it created some for us so we
just make sure that it is turned off.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 07.02.2013 21:43, schrieb Curtis Rueden:
> Just in case you didn't see it already, the following page of the M2E
> documentation explains (rather obtusely) in detail about how to configure
> M2E's "lifecycle mappings" to work with various Maven plugins:
>
>      http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered
>
> There is actually a lot of goodness buried in that page if you read
> carefully (e.g., the hint about using the "ignore" quickfix then changing
> it to "execute").

Yep, that's what I did.
Re-read it twice, and I think I understand it now.

> This is getting pretty off-topic for this list though, seeing as there is
> an M2E-specific list as well.

Agreed.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Joachim,

> Unfortunately, the copying plugin spat "not bound to that lifecycle phase"
> errors at me when I tried to run it during the compile phase. I'm not sure
> whether that's overridable, I thought it should be but then found was
already
> specified in an <execution>... bummer.

Just in case you didn't see it already, the following page of the M2E
documentation explains (rather obtusely) in detail about how to configure
M2E's "lifecycle mappings" to work with various Maven plugins:

    http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered

There is actually a lot of goodness buried in that page if you read
carefully (e.g., the hint about using the "ignore" quickfix then changing
it to "execute").

This is getting pretty off-topic for this list though, seeing as there is
an M2E-specific list as well.

Regards,
Curtis

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 06.02.2013 23:43, schrieb Adrien Rivard:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Now I'm wondering where m2e is putting things if I run a Maven launch
>>> with
>>> an "install" target.
>>> It's definitely not going to ~/.m2/repository.
>>>
>>>  It may depends on your settings.xml used by eclipse(see
>> preferences/maven),
>>

> None set up here, so it's the default for me.
>

>  but by default they are going there. And you don't need to run an
>> "install", just refresh/build the project with eclipse.
>>

> Hm... testing with a parent project...
>
> ... nope. Running a Maven launch with a "package" goal doesn't add any
> file to disk as far as I can tell.
>
> Specifying the "install" goal puts it into .m2.
> Okay, that finally falsifies my assumption that m2e is managing its own
> repository.
>
> IIRC "install" is necessary if you switch off Workspace Resolution.

Yes, but if you switch off workspace resolution, IMO you miss all the power
of m2e.

> I'm having issues with Workspace Resolution. It seems that a jar update
> (overwrite, really) done during the package phase isn't properly recognized
> by m2e.

package(and the following phases) is not executed by m2e , except if you do
it manually (run as maven ...),in this case, you need at least to refresh
your workspace, but that should not be the way to work with m2e.

Adrien Rivard
06 63 08 79 74

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 07.02.2013 08:27, schrieb Baptiste MATHUS:
> Try running help:effective-settings from eclipse and read the value of
> localRepository tag.

Nothing unexpected here it seems (this was with a freshly emptied .m2,
not sure whether that changes anything):
<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.1.0.xsd">
   <localRepository
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0">/home/jo/.m2/repository</localRepository>
   <interactiveMode
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0">false</interactiveMode>
   <pluginGroups xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.1.0">
     <pluginGroup>org.apache.maven.plugins</pluginGroup>
     <pluginGroup>org.codehaus.mojo</pluginGroup>
   </pluginGroups>
</settings>

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Le 6 févr. 2013 23:43, "Adrien Rivard" <ad...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>
wrote:

> > Am 06.02.2013 21:29, schrieb Baptiste MATHUS:
> >
> >  2013/2/6 Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>
> >>

> > Now I'm wondering where m2e is putting things if I run a Maven launch
with
> > an "install" target.
> > It's definitely not going to ~/.m2/repository.

Try running help:effective-settings from eclipse and read the value of
localRepository tag.

-- Baptiste

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 06.02.2013 21:29, schrieb Baptiste MATHUS:
>
>  2013/2/6 Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>
>>

>>> Am 06.02.2013 20:33, schrieb Curtis Rueden:
>>>
>>>   Hi Joachim,

>>> Look in .metadata/.plugins/org.****eclipse.m2e.core/nexus .
>>>

>> This is only nexus indexes. Not local cache/repository.
>>

> Ah, okay.
> I thought those binary .cfs files contained the artifacts, they certainly
> matched in size (roughly). I have to admit I didn't double-check, they were
> just binary blobs and I couldn't look very closely into them.

It contains the list of all availables artifacts in the remote MRM, they
are used to mostly to search/autocomplete version/artifactId/group id in
your pom editor.

> Now I'm wondering where m2e is putting things if I run a Maven launch with
> an "install" target.
> It's definitely not going to ~/.m2/repository.

It may depends on your settings.xml used by eclipse(see preferences/maven),
but by default they are going there. And you don't need to run an
"install", just refresh/build the project with eclipse.

> Hm. No. The projects are there, but with hopelessly outdated versions.
> Except m2e isn't even showing them. Most directories don't even have jar
> artifacts, some have (but are still outdated and not shown as coordinates
> by m2e - now I'm really confused).

Adrien Rivard
06 63 08 79 74

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <bm...@batmat.net>.
2013/2/6 Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>

> Am 06.02.2013 20:33, schrieb Curtis Rueden:
>
>  Hi Joachim,
>>
>>  m2e installs its own repository inside .metadata.
>>>

>> My Eclipse workspace has no such thing:
>>
>> $ ls .metadata/
>> .bak_0.log   .bak_3.log   .bak_6.log   .bak_9.log   .mylyn/
>> .bak_1.log   .bak_4.log   .bak_7.log   .lock        .plugins/
>> .bak_2.log   .bak_5.log   .bak_8.log   .log         version.ini
>>

> Look in .metadata/.plugins/org.**eclipse.m2e.core/nexus .

This is only nexus indexes. Not local cache/repository.

>  At least on my system, Eclipse uses ~/.m2/repository. You can verify this

Yes, this is the default value. On my system, Eclipse puts files just in
the same repository as my CLI does because I configured the same
settings.xml.

Cheers

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 06.02.2013 20:33, schrieb Curtis Rueden:
> Hi Joachim,
>
>> m2e installs its own repository inside .metadata.
>
> My Eclipse workspace has no such thing:
>
> $ ls .metadata/
> .bak_0.log   .bak_3.log   .bak_6.log   .bak_9.log   .mylyn/
> .bak_1.log   .bak_4.log   .bak_7.log   .lock        .plugins/
> .bak_2.log   .bak_5.log   .bak_8.log   .log         version.ini

Look in .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.m2e.core/nexus .

> At least on my system, Eclipse uses ~/.m2/repository. You can verify this
> by opening the "Maven Dependencies" in the Package Explorer, and looking at
> the path to each JAR dependency.

I'm seeing that, too.
Except for projects that use Workspace Resolution - in-workspace
dependencies are then shown as just an open folder, and the Properties
page doesn't have a Resource entry so I don't see a disk location there.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Joachim,

> m2e installs its own repository inside .metadata.

My Eclipse workspace has no such thing:

$ ls .metadata/
.bak_0.log   .bak_3.log   .bak_6.log   .bak_9.log   .mylyn/
.bak_1.log   .bak_4.log   .bak_7.log   .lock        .plugins/
.bak_2.log   .bak_5.log   .bak_8.log   .log         version.ini

I am running Eclipse 4.2 (Juno), build 20120614-1722. My m2e is part of the
"EPP Java Package" that comes with the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers"
download: versioned at 1.1.0.20120530-0009. Platform is OS X 10.6.8.

At least on my system, Eclipse uses ~/.m2/repository. You can verify this
by opening the "Maven Dependencies" in the Package Explorer, and looking at
the path to each JAR dependency.

-Curtis

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 06.02.2013 21:40, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> That's the lucene index of the maven repository. No content, just an index

Ah okay, thanks.

As I wrote elsewhere, I'm not wondering where the installs go if I run
an Eclipse launch. I don't think they go to ~/.m2/repository, but where
else could they?

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.
Am 06.02.2013 20:38, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
> On Wednesday, 6 February 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> Am 06.02.2013 19:57, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>>
>>> See in-line

>>> Smells like a second local *cache* (one of the most confusing things is
>>> that we called it a "local repository" and not a "local cache"
>>>

>> It's where things land if you run a launch configuration that says "mvn
>> install".
>
> Then it is eclipse's local cache. Plain and simple.

Okay... what's the difference then?

>> My current mental model of m2e's working is that it uses a normal Maven
>> runtime, accessing ~/.m2 as a local cache like Maven normally does, and the
>> repository inside .metadata is a normal repository.
>
> Nope. Wrong on at least one and probably two counts.
>
> 1. Eclipse uses the maven embedder, this is not the same as a maven cli
> install.

Well, at least it generates very similar output and takes the same
command-line options :-)

 > It should build the same as *the soon to be released* 3.0.5 or
> 3.1.0 depending on when it was cut.

It comes with a 3.0.3 tag. (Recently updated from 3.0.2.)

> 2. I haven't checked the exact code, but I think Benjamin is implementing a
> "layered" cache, so if the artifact is in ~/.m2/repository then eclipse
> will just copy that into its cache (assuming the [dreads the
> misunderstanding *again*] source matches].

Name it "origin" and there's no misunderstanding.

But yes I got it this time ;-)

>> One of the subdirectories is even named "nexus", so I suspect (but couldn't
>> verify) that m2e uses Nexus code.
>
> Really melting like the more advanced local cache layout that Benjamin was
> working on

I didn't understand that. Particularly what's "melting" here.

>> On a dev tangent: It's somewhat unnerving to read that the cache isn't
>> thread-safe. Some people routinely do multiprocessing from the command
>> line, what if multiple tasks happen to execute a mvn command at the same
>> time? At least some locking would be in order, methinks.
>
> Known issue, solutions are a available-ish... Just need an official release
> of Aether from Eclipse IIRC

Thanks, good to know.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday, 6 February 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Am 06.02.2013 19:57, schrieb Stephen Connolly:
>
>> See in-line
>>
>> On Wednesday, 6 February 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>>
>>  Am 06.02.2013 17:47, schrieb Manfred Moser:
>>>
>>>  I dont think there is a real MRM type of functionality in M2e ... kind
>>>>

>>> m2e installs its own repository inside .metadata.
>>>

>> Smells like a second local *cache* (one of the most confusing things is
>> that we called it a "local repository" and not a "local cache"
>>

> It's where things land if you run a launch configuration that says "mvn
> install".

Then it is eclipse's local cache. Plain and simple.

> My current mental model of m2e's working is that it uses a normal Maven
> runtime, accessing ~/.m2 as a local cache like Maven normally does, and the
> repository inside .metadata is a normal repository.

Nope. Wrong on at least one and probably two counts.

1. Eclipse uses the maven embedder, this is not the same as a maven cli
install. It should build the same as *the soon to be released* 3.0.5 or
3.1.0 depending on when it was cut.

2. I haven't checked the exact code, but I think Benjamin is implementing a
"layered" cache, so if the artifact is in ~/.m2/repository then eclipse
will just copy that into its cache (assuming the [dreads the
misunderstanding *again*] source matches].

One of the subdirectories is even named "nexus", so I suspect (but couldn't
> verify) that m2e uses Nexus code.

Really melting like the more advanced local cache layout that Benjamin was
working on before (the board did a thing that they poorly apologised for
which has resulted in) Benjamin stopped committing to maven.

>  Given that the local *cache* is not concurrent safe, the sensible thing
>> for
>> eclipse to do (in order to co-exist with the cli) is to maintain its own
>> local cache
>>

> I'm seeing artifacts from Eclipse inside it that I never touched from the
> command line.
> I once blew the cache away and haven't run a single mvn command in the
> shell, but the cache did indeed refill.
>
> So I'm pretty sure that even while the cache isn't thread-safe, I guess
> Eclipse is simply using it anyway.

Benjamin's newer local cache implementations have thread safety... When
Aether eventually gets an official release from Eclipse, we should be able
to pick them up.. Or write our own if they don't suit.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 06/02/2013 1:57 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> See in-line
>
> On Wednesday, 6 February 2013, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>> Am 06.02.2013 17:47, schrieb Manfred Moser:
>>
>>> I dont think there is a real MRM type of functionality in M2e ... kind of
>>> doesnt make sense to me either. A MRM is a server software while M2e is a
>>> development environment.
>>>
>> m2e installs its own repository inside .metadata.
>
> Smells like a second local *cache* (one of the most confusing things is
> that we called it a "local repository" and not a "local cache"
>
> Given that the local *cache* is not concurrent safe, the sensible thing for
> eclipse to do (in order to co-exist with the cli) is to maintain its own
> local cache
>

>> The issue I'm having is that I can't manage that repository.
>
> Because it's a cache but a repository (might look like a repository, but
> aether treats it differently)
>

>> Unless, of course, I install a local Nexus and point it to that repo, but
>> I suspect that m2e and Nexus would then start to quarrel.
Nexus would just ignore the contents of the directory
  and start its own database.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
See in-line

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
"local cache" or "local maven cache" or "temporary Maven cache" or "jar
cache" (not accurate strictly speaking but by the time your find out
what else is cached there, you are well on your way!) or "maven artifact
cache"

Getting rid of "repository" is the key motivation to change the term.

Is it too hard to change the name on the disk in a new version.
I suppose that it would not cause too big a problem for most users since
deleting the cache is often recommended as a cure for silliness.

Ron

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <bm...@gmail.com>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
> Am 06.02.2013 11:15, schrieb Adrien Rivard:
>> I'm not sure that that the latest m2e have more in the maven
>> repositories
>> view than what you already have
>
> I did have a test install of m2e with Juno, and sure enough, one of the
> things I checked was the Maven view.
> Unfortunately, I couldn't detect anything new there.
>
> So the question still stands: What Eclipse plugin carries MRM
> functionality?
> If that's m2e: How do I access it?

I dont think there is a real MRM type of functionality in M2e ... kind of
doesnt make sense to me either. A MRM is a server software while M2e is a
development environment.

If you are looking for MRM functionality on your desktop while developing
I would suggest to just installl Nexus locally and proxy whatever external
MRM you need to access, configure Maven to look at the local Nexus
instance  and voila..

I have been doing that for years and it works great..

manfred
http://www.simpligility.com

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Toolforger <to...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 06/02/2013 5:15 AM, Adrien Rivard wrote:
> I'm not sure that that the latest m2e have more in the maven repositories
> view than what you already have but the update-site are here
> http://eclipse.org/m2e/download/
> You need to install :
>    - m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse
> - m2e - slf4j over logback logging (Optional) if you want the maven logs.
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 04.02.2013 22:13, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>>
>>   I found STS in the marketplace, and it lists all the plugins that it
>>>>
>>> You should have all the Maven that m2e provides.
>>>
>> No real MRM in it. All I get is  Maven Repositories views that shows
>> coordinates; I can't see what artifacts are on a coordinate, let alone open
>> the artifacts to inspect them, and I can't delete coordinates that were
>> accidentally creates and should never have been.
>>
>> That's m2e 1.0.200.20111228-1245; maybe it's outdated?
>> Oh, right, it probably is, me currently being in Indigo :-)
>>
>> Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
>>

>>   We just got rid of Eclipse and loaded up the full Eclipse STS.
>>> It probably has stuff we don't need but at least it all matches and with
>>> one download and install, I am fully upgraded.
>>>
>> I need cdt, git, svn, Python, and that's just off the top of my head.
>> I don't think any prepackaged Eclipse will ever fit my needs. And right, I
>> can have multiple Eclipse installations, but that would just multiply the
>> number of installations I have to maintain, so it won't be a good long-term
>> prospect. Experimenting with STS would work, of course; I'll give it a try
>> this week.
>>
>> Any pointers where to find the MRM functionality?

I had to load CDT.
Eclipse STS includes GIT and SVN.

You probably have to add Python support as well as CDT.

At least you are down to 2 plug-ins to maintain and they probably do not
have a lot of version conflicts with other plug-ins.
The version conflicts between Java, Spring and other tools drove me
crazy with Eclipse. Eclipse/STS at least fixed that problem and once you
have your udate sites defined, getting the CDT and Python will be pretty
easy.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure that that the latest m2e have more in the maven repositories
view than what you already have but the update-site are here
http://eclipse.org/m2e/download/
You need to install :
  - m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse
- m2e - slf4j over logback logging (Optional) if you want the maven logs.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 04.02.2013 22:13, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>
>  I found STS in the marketplace, and it lists all the plugins that it
>>> comes with, so I installed Spring IDE Maven support.
>>> Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any additional Maven-related facilities.
>>> Is it in some other plugin? (I want to avoid installing plugins with
>>> abandon, Eclipse is already slow enough as it is.)
>>>

>> You should have all the Maven that m2e provides.
>>

> No real MRM in it. All I get is  Maven Repositories views that shows
> coordinates; I can't see what artifacts are on a coordinate, let alone open
> the artifacts to inspect them, and I can't delete coordinates that were
> accidentally creates and should never have been.
>
> That's m2e 1.0.200.20111228-1245; maybe it's outdated?
> Oh, right, it probably is, me currently being in Indigo :-)
>
> Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
>

>  We just got rid of Eclipse and loaded up the full Eclipse STS.
>> It probably has stuff we don't need but at least it all matches and with
>> one download and install, I am fully upgraded.
>>

> I need cdt, git, svn, Python, and that's just off the top of my head.
> I don't think any prepackaged Eclipse will ever fit my needs. And right, I
> can have multiple Eclipse installations, but that would just multiply the
> number of installations I have to maintain, so it won't be a good long-term
> prospect. Experimenting with STS would work, of course; I'll give it a try
> this week.
>
> Any pointers where to find the MRM functionality?
>

> Regards,
> Jo

Adrien Rivard
06 63 08 79 74

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Joachim Durchholz <jo...@durchholz.org>.

Re: MRM inside Eclipse

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 04/02/2013 2:07 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Am 30.01.2013 23:16, schrieb Ron Wheeler:
>> On 30/01/2013 4:54 PM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>>> I'd really love to have an MRM for the repo that m2e runs inside the
>>> Eclipse workspace. That would be useful; Eclipse's "Maven
>>> Repositories" view is extremely limited (essentially it's just a
>>> display of all GAV coordinates available, which is a start but just a
>>> start).
>>
>> That is what we do. Eclipse/STS is eclipse with everything that you need
>> already installed.
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware that STS exists.
> Could become useful at work, we're using Spring for webservice and
> transactions there, with options for using more modules; better Maven
> tooling would be most welcome there.

>> We use the Nexus repo on our server for browsing oher repos and hosting
>> our own and carrying non-maven jars.
>>
>> None of my guys can use DOS command line Maven.
>
> Okay.
>
>> If you want to do a SKype session, I can show you our Eclipse and Maven
>> Repo. Would that help?
>
> No Skype here. I don't trust it near my private data.
I use it all the time but perhaps Microsoft has got a copy of everything!
Could setup a Saba Meeting if you like. It has a Java client.

> I found STS in the marketplace, and it lists all the plugins that it
> comes with, so I installed Spring IDE Maven support.
> Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any additional Maven-related facilities.
> Is it in some other plugin? (I want to avoid installing plugins with
> abandon, Eclipse is already slow enough as it is.)

You should have all the Maven that m2e provides.
We just got rid of Eclipse and loaded up the full Eclipse STS.
It probably has stuff we don't need but at least it all matches and with
one download and install, I am fully upgraded.
We were each losing so much time on each Eclipse upgrade trying to find
all the plug-ins that we used and dealing with incompatible plug-in version
We were never sure that everyone had the same configuration of plug-ins,
as well.

The only thing that seem to remember that we no longer have is a
graphical representation of the Maven dependency tree which was a fun
way to work on dependency cleanup but was more for fun than real need.

You can install Eclipse and Eclipse/STS  at the same time since they can
both use the same workspace .
This allows you to test out the full version before you make the switch
if that is what you decide.

You might find that it starts slower than a bare Eclipse but once it is
running, they are probably both equally slow!

Ron