Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> on 2016/05/24 17:11:05 UTC

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Am 24.05.2016 um 18:49 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> Hi,
> I'm using SpamAssassin v3.3.1-3 on ClearOS 6.7 (a CentOS derivative) and
> I believe it is invoked by amavis-new. I have a whitelist line in local.cf:
>
>     whitelist_from *@avivaemail.co.uk @m.avivaemail.co.uk *@tomtom.com
>     *@dpd.co.uk *@clearos.com *@peacocks-mail.com

most of them has SPF, others maybe DKIM or both

so don't use "whitelist_from" which opens the door for forging senders
and completly bypass your filter for no good reason

just use "whitelist_auth" instead

> In e-mail headers from clearos.com I get the following:

dunno about your issue, maybe amavisd is part of it
URIBL_BLOCKED - you really really should fix that

it harms your results masive since you mostly get nor responses from
DNSBL, DNSL and also builtin DNSWL which are in palce to reduce false
positives

http://uribl.com/refused.shtml

*never* use a forwarind/ISP nameserver for a inbound MX

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>On 2016-05-24 21:40, Nick Howitt wrote:
>> Ok, but how does it help me? From what I've read it seems dnsmasq can
>>only do recursion. If I keep dnsmasq then I would need to point it to
>>another iterative DNS resolver running on my box such as PowerDNS or
>>BIND rather than to OpenDNS or have I misunderstood? Is there
>>something simple I can do with dnamasq or OpenDNS?

Nick, you would do some of us (at least me) a favor, if you used plaintext
mail, not html to mailing lists.

On 24.05.16 22:28, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>all you need to make sure is that if you have dnsmasq you only miss
>one single change
>
>/etc/resolv.conf
>nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
>thats all, make sure it does not change on boot

it's apparently configured like that.

The problem is that dnsmasq forwards to upstream DNS server(s), which is
(are) most probably blacklisted.

Simply said, for spam filtering you need own recursive DNS server, and ISP
that allows you to use it, and doesn't redirect DNS traffic to its servers.

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
On 2016-05-24 22:33, Nick Howitt wrote:

>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>>
>> thats all, make sure it does not change on boot
>  I've already got it (but the man pages says it ignores it!) but then
> I've got OpenDNS after.

one more fail then, you must not use opendns

else you will see uribl_blocked

dnsmasq must not have forwarding dns servers either

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.05.2016 um 21:44 schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 24.05.2016 um 21:40 schrieb Nick Howitt:

>>> when you dnsmasq forwards queries to any other dns server instead
>>> doing recursion itself the server you ask is contacting the rbl and
>>> *any other* user using the same dns-server raises the count
>>>
>>> the RBL server *never* will see your IP and can't distinct between you
>>> and other users

>>> if you dnsmasq forward to OpenDNS you do
>>>
>>> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/netgeneral/Understanding-DNS-Recursion.html
>>>

>> Ok, but how does it help me? From what I've read it seems dnsmasq can
>> only do recursion. If I keep dnsmasq then I would need to point it to
>> another iterative DNS resolver running on my box such as PowerDNS or
>> BIND rather than to OpenDNS or have I misunderstood? Is there something
>> simple I can do with dnamasq or OpenDNS?
>
> no idea why you insist in dnsmasq and especially opendns
> a unbound or bind default setup does recursion
> __________________________________
>
> "dnsmasq can only do recursion" - jesus NO - when you did something like
> below it is a forwarding server - just try to UNDERSTAND the link above
> explaining HWAT dns-recursion is - IT IS NOT "use a specific nameserver
> like below for resolving"
> __________________________________

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Discontinued_advertising

independent that they don't do it now (as far as i can see) THIS IS
NOTHING a dns provider ever should do and BREAKS MAIL HEAVILY because of
missing NXDOMAIN respones

opendns has NOTHING to do with "open" or "opensource"

OpenDNS is a company and service which extends the Domain Name System
(DNS) by adding features such as phishing protection and optional
content filtering to traditional recursive DNS services

THIS IS NOT FOR INBOUND MAILSERVERS
THIS IS NOT RECURSION
THIS BREAKS SPAMFILTERING
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Name_Server_IP_Addresses

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.05.2016 um 22:30 schrieb Benny Pedersen:
> On 2016-05-24 21:44, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> no-resolv
>> strict-order
>> server=208.67.222.222
>> server=208.67.222.220
>
> will fail with uribl.com and others

tell me something new or why do you think i did put the headline "THAT
IS A BULLSHIT SETUP ON A INBOUND-MX" before?

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.05.2016 um 22:34 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> On 24/05/2016 21:30, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>>
>> On 2016-05-24 21:44, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>> no-resolv
>>> strict-order
>>> server=208.67.222.222
>>> server=208.67.222.220
>>
>> will fail with uribl.com and others
> Oh bunk :-(

i explained magnitude times *why* this is wrong and that you need to
learn what dns-recursion is and why it is needed - if it's with my
previous mail still unclear i would recommend refrain from running a
mailserver - seriously

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 26.05.2016 um 14:19 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> I'm finding it hard here. I am using preconfigured distro where Postfix,
> amavis and SA are all supplied as a working set up as is dnsmasq. There
> is no expectation that the users need to "go under the hood" to fix or
> change things. In my case I've tinkered a lot with the distro, a bit
> with the postfix set up to harden it further and I've tightened up on
> dnsmasq but I've never learnt about amavis of SA. It is like when you
> buy a car, you expect it to work. If the fuel injection fails and you
> look at it; it does not then mean you are an expert at gearbox problems.
> Sadly, it seems here you have to be an expert at everything before you
> are allowed to post.

no, it would have been enough instead of contradict mutliple times by
*continuing pretend* your machine don't do dns-forwarding when everybody
with the sligtest clue knows for sure it does saying "thank you", doing
your homework and use google to solve it, well to be honest a start woul
dhabe neen just *read* the links i posted which explains some basics -
impossible that you have read and understood some of them in the time
where you responded with "how does that help me"

the other option would have been going to the fools of the distribution
which makes dnsmasq part of a setup containing Aavis/SpamAssassin, point
them to the problem and expect them to solve it while consider switch to
something tied together by clueless people

what was the lesson: don't trust preconfigured crap, it's not better
than a random commercial blackbox

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.

On 26/05/2016 13:19, Nick Howitt wrote:

>>  OK, I've been heavily shot at for my set up which is totally
>> irrelevant to the question I posed and not a pleasant experience. Is
>> there any possibility of some help with the problem I posted about?
>>
>> Matus snuck in the most likely answer a while back - message size.
>>
>> In Amavis it look as if the relevant option is:
>>
>> $sa_mail_body_size_limit
>>
>> I don't use Amavis so can't comment much but I believe that would be
>> the relevant setting to change. Google suggests that it may be as low
>> as 200kb. SpamAssassin defaults to 500kb. Of course you may still get
>> messages over that size. I use FuGlu to connect SA and that leaves a
>> handy message telling me scanning was skipped due to message size. You
>> don't have that but as you have no SA headers at all in the sample you
>> posted I'd assume it never got scanned and message size is the most
>> common culprit.
>>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for that. I guess I missed the reply while I was being flamed
> for not knowing everything about everything and not running my own DNS
> resolver.
> I'll check that when I get home but I doubt it is the setting. The
> message size was only about 39kB in total and bigger messages are
> being scanned successfully.

Now at home, my $sa_mail_body_size_limit is set to 500*1024 which seems
an odd way of going about things but looks like it is valid. All my
peacocks-mail.com messages have been less than 80kB.

I'm going to see if I can get a test case with a debug log so I can post
to amavis's list. Unfortunately what was my known test case passed
through SA fine today so I need to find another reliable one.

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.
Am 30.05.2016 um 16:35 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> Just for a bit of closure, it looks like when you use amavisd-new with
> SA, it is amavisd-new and not SA which is adding the X-Spam headers. In
> /etc/amavisd/api.conf there is a parameter, $sa_tag_level_deflt,
> defaulted to -99, below which no X-Spam headers are set. If you
> whitelist, you start at -100. So, if the rest of the tests total to less
> than 1, you will not get an X-Spam header. This can be confirmed by
> playing around with this parameter and by upping the amavisd log level
> so you can see the results of all the spam tests for each e-mail even if
> it does not get the X-Spam headers.

well, the next time save us from your arrogance like below and accept
that people with knowledge are knowing what they are talking about
because otherwise you won't need to ask :-)

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
On 5/30/2016 10:35 AM, Nick Howitt wrote:
> Just for a bit of closure, it looks like when you use amavisd-new with
> SA, it is amavisd-new and not SA which is adding the X-Spam headers.
> In /etc/amavisd/api.conf there is a parameter, $sa_tag_level_deflt,
> defaulted to -99, below which no X-Spam headers are set. If you
> whitelist, you start at -100. So, if the rest of the tests total to
> less than 1, you will not get an X-Spam header. This can be confirmed
> by playing around with this parameter and by upping the amavisd log
> level so you can see the results of all the spam tests for each e-mail
> even if it does not get the X-Spam headers.

Amavisd-new only uses SA to generate a score for the message.  It has
it's own settings for tagging and rejection thresholds, writes its own
headers, and can mark a message as spam/ham or reject it based on its
own whitelists, blacklists, and many other settings.

The bottom line is this: If you have a problem with the actual score
being generated, look at SA.  If you have a problem with the header
markup or with messages being rejected or let through without scanning,
look at Amavisd.

--
Bowie

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.
Just for a bit of closure, it looks like when you use amavisd-new with
SA, it is amavisd-new and not SA which is adding the X-Spam headers. In
/etc/amavisd/api.conf there is a parameter, $sa_tag_level_deflt,
defaulted to -99, below which no X-Spam headers are set. If you
whitelist, you start at -100. So, if the rest of the tests total to less
than 1, you will not get an X-Spam header. This can be confirmed by
playing around with this parameter and by upping the amavisd log level
so you can see the results of all the spam tests for each e-mail even if
it does not get the X-Spam headers.

Nick

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 26.05.2016 um 12:22 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> On 2016-05-26 10:08, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> how often where you asked to stop post HTML mails?
>> and yes, rules are made by people asked for help
>>
> I try

lol - so you don't see the message you compose before hit "send"?

> but I use multiple machines and don't always remember which I've
> set explicitly to use plain text.

what's the purpose of a HTML mail in general when you don't format anything?

> Please don't treat me like a numpty. I am not. Head over to the ClearOS
> forums and look for nickh and see how I respond to all sorts of people
> from beginners upwards asking for help.

given how many mails from several people it took that you understand
basics like dns-recursion while *pretend* you are not forwarding......

given how helpless you act in case of basic configurations where you get
even posted the needed config lines you just need to paste into your
config file - and *seriously* when you don't know where your config
files for your mailservices are give up running your own mailserver
because i don#t want to know which other mistakes you make or already
made on a internet facing machine

mailservers are not something to be configured by everybody and his brother

>> like above with the SA-setting *you do not read* what others are
>> answering - you are likely on the wrong mailing-list because you are
>> runnung *AMAVIS* which is not a pure spamassassin and can skip SA
>> based on several settings
> I get the drift. SA is perfect and has no bugs

childish polemic

> so it is not worth doing
> any diagnostics.

damned when there are no SA headers then SA was not called and why it
was not called depends on the glue (amavis in your case)

> The people on the amavis lists will acknowledge this
> and assume, therefore, that it is their product causing the issue. There
> is no chance that the amavis people will say it is an SA issue

when SA is not called at all it's not an SA issue while it's most likely
a *configuration iusse* and not a bug at all, not in SA and not in
amavis but somewhere in your or the clearos configuration

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.

On 2016-05-26 10:08, Reindl Harald wrote:
> how often where you asked to stop post HTML mails?
> and yes, rules are made by people asked for help

I try, but I use multiple machines and don't always remember which I've
set explicitly to use plain text. In theory I've set up something in the
shared address book which should have forced plain test on all machines
I use. There must be another setting interfering with it or something
else but it is something I have to investigate. I can only do that when
it is pointed out that it is not working. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.
>  OK, I've been heavily shot at for my set up which is totally
> irrelevant to the question I posed and not a pleasant experience. Is
> there any possibility of some help with the problem I posted about?
>
> Matus snuck in the most likely answer a while back - message size.
>
> In Amavis it look as if the relevant option is:
>
> $sa_mail_body_size_limit
>
> I don't use Amavis so can't comment much but I believe that would be
> the relevant setting to change. Google suggests that it may be as low
> as 200kb. SpamAssassin defaults to 500kb. Of course you may still get
> messages over that size. I use FuGlu to connect SA and that leaves a
> handy message telling me scanning was skipped due to message size. You
> don't have that but as you have no SA headers at all in the sample you
> posted I'd assume it never got scanned and message size is the most
> common culprit.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. I guess I missed the reply while I was being flamed for
not knowing everything about everything and not running my own DNS
resolver.
I'll check that when I get home but I doubt it is the setting. The
message size was only about 39kB in total and bigger messages are being
scanned successfully.

I'll try researching amavis more and then perhaps try their mailing
lists.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 24.05.2016 um 22:24 schrieb Nick Howitt:
> On 24/05/2016 20:44, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Ok, but how does it help me? From what I've read it seems dnsmasq can
>>> only do recursion. If I keep dnsmasq then I would need to point it to
>>> another iterative DNS resolver running on my box such as PowerDNS or
>>> BIND rather than to OpenDNS or have I misunderstood? Is there something
>>> simple I can do with dnamasq or OpenDNS?
>>
>> no idea why you insist in dnsmasq and especially opendns
>> a unbound or bind default setup does recursion
>> __________________________________
>>
>> "dnsmasq can only do recursion" - jesus NO - when you did something
>> like below it is a forwarding server - just try to UNDERSTAND the link
>> above explaining HWAT dns-recursion is - IT IS NOT "use a specific
>> nameserver like below for resolving"
>> __________________________________
>>
>> THAT IS A BULLSHIT SETUP ON A INBOUND-MX
>>
>> https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS
>>
>> ption 2 - Configure DNSMasq for OpenDNS DNS forwarding

>> section » DNSMasq sub section
>>     Enable both DNSMasq and Local DNS options
>>     In the Additional DNSMasq Options text box, enter:
>>
>> no-resolv
>> strict-order
>> server=208.67.222.222
>> server=208.67.222.220
>>
> Thanks for the info. Each time I've received a reply I've tried to do a
> quick but of research on the internet. Clearly I got it wrong about
> dnsmasq and I'll give a try adding "no-resolv" to my configuration. The
> other bits I already have. I'm afraid I can't be an expert at everything.

stay on list!

that above is *as said* a bullshit setup for a incoming mailserver and
"no-resolv" is just for ignore /etc/resolv.conf

mabye you still don#t understand the problem:

everytime you receive a mail SpamAssassin checks if the IP is listed on
serveral blacklists and whitelists by asking your resolver, if that
points to "208.67.222.222" NOT YOU but "208.67.222.222" asks the
DNSBL/DNSWL servers and others using "208.67.222.222" triggers the same
leading in "208.67.222.22" making the dns-requests for you and half of
the world and so "208.67.222.22" exceeds the free limit

https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CachingNameserver

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
>I used the "Authoritative, validating, recursive caching DNS (example
>2)" section of this guide: https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html but
>omitted the forward-zone, local-zone and local-data sections and did a
>couple of other parameters differently.

PowerDNS Recursor is very easy to install and the default config should
work perfectly as a recursive DNS server for a mail server.

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.

Posted by Nick Howitt <ni...@howitts.co.uk>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 24 May 2016 19:58:32 +0000
David Jones wrote:

> Dnsmasq is a very powerful DNS server so I am sure it can be
> configured to do full recursive lookups but this is not a common
> configuration for dnsmasq.

This has come-up before and it can't.

Re: Odd results when using whitelisting

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
*never* use a forwarind/ISP nameserver for a inbound MX
> If I understand you, I don't. I have my own domain and my mx record points to my dyndns FQDN

What you mentioned above is hosting your own domain's DNS to the Internet and has nothing to do with how your ClearOS server is resolving it's own lookups for Internet domains like apache.org, google.com,
ena.com, etc.
You need to find how to disable forwarding within dnsmasq to make dnsmasq do it's own full recursive lookup.  As long as you point to any other DNS server, you are at risk of having your DNS queries combined with others which will put your email server over the free query limits by many RBLs.

DNS 101
=======
DNS forwarding is when you point to another DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf (or /etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf when using dnsmasq).
DNS recursion is when you do your own full recursive DNS lookup.  (Similar to running 'dig +trace google.com' from the command line.)  This would be 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/resolv.conf then whatever DNS server is listening on 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 port 53 does not forward to another DNS server like Google or OpenDNS.

Dnsmasq is a very powerful DNS server so I am sure it can be configured to do full recursive lookups but this is not a common configuration for dnsmasq.  I prefer PowerDNS recursor which is very easy to install on most distros.  You just need to work out the listening interfaces or IPs so dnsmasq listens only on 127.0.0.1 and the other DNS server (BIND, PDNS recursor, unbound, etc.) only listens on your interface IP.  Then you would setup dnsmasq-resolv.conf to point to that interface IP.