Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/11 17:36:29 UTC

[GSoC] progress update (first pencils down date)

Hi everyone,

Yesterday marked the first 'pencils down' date in the GSoC timeline,
after which it is suggested we "Take a week to scrub code, write
tests, improve documentation, etc." in the run up to the final
'pencils down' on August 17th 19:00 UTC.

I have cataloged my progress in terms of JIRA's here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Robbie+Gemmell

Everything originally intended for the new UI is in place and
considered complete, along with some extra additions and improvements
suggested in the last couple weeks. One remaining suggested feature
(reloading the Log4J logging configuration via JMX on request) is
still being worked on. The actual addition of a JMX reload function is
tiny and straightforward, I am actually really working on the general
robustness of the Log4J configuration process at broker startup,
reload on request, and reload using Log4J's XMLWatchDog to monitor the
XML file for changes.

I still need to create new documentation for the console to reflect
the updated UI, which has obviously rendered the existing user and
testing guides even more out of date than they were. That is what I
envisaged doing with my time before Monday, however I have also
discovered issues with the way the broker saves the user password and
management rights files. Its probable I wont get all of the above
issues completed fully by the GSoC deadline, but I will be continuing
to polish everything off before the 0.6 release, which allows plenty
of time. Is there a preference whether i should bias my attention
towards the bugs or the documentation at this stage? Given that the UI
is effectively complete and that was the purpose of the GSoC project,
I should perhaps use the remaining GSoC time to do the
documentation...but the bugs uncovered are fairly serious. Thoughts?

Robbie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [GSoC] progress update (first pencils down date)

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
HI Robbie,

Thanks for the update and all your work on the UI.
On the bugs vs docs question, I'd def put the bugs on the list first :-)

Thanks,
Marnie