Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2011/11/18 13:53:02 UTC

Install configuration management

Moving this to its own thread....

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Gianluca Turconi
<pu...@letturefantastiche.com> wrote:
> In data 17 novembre 2011 alle ore 22:26:18, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> ha
> scritto:
>
>> I'm OK with that.  This is what I was thinking of as #3 below.  So
>> saying, "You do not have a dictionary installed, would you like to see
>> a list of 3rd party dictionaries?" is fine.  You then can launch a
>> browser or have an in-app extension browser.  But we're not choosing
>> among the alternatives.  We're inviting the user to do this.  Of
>> course, a 3rd party could take AOO, modify it and constrain the
>> choices further, bundle dictionaries, etc.
>
> Are you talking about an after-installation wizard or something similar,
> aren't you?
>
> This means that AOOo wouldn't be a ready-to-use product just after the
> installation. That's fine for individual installations.
>
> However, what about network installations?
>
> I think many IT admins *really* don't like users' installation of add-ons...
> ;-)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have such procedure directly included into the
> installation of the application?
>
> There would be 2 options:
>
> a) a normal installation (plain vanilla AOOo);
>
> b) a custom Installation (vanilla AOOo + selected and downloadable
> dictionaries, templates, everything else).

I think this is a good idea.  A large organization will want to do a
network install with a customized configuration:

1) Pre-install extensions, both open source ones but also custom,
in-house extensions

2) Install custom document templates per corporate standards

3) Modify configuration settings, such as for default file format, etc.

It is good to look at what Microsoft has done here with there Office
Customization Tool:

And one thing to consider:  for a very large company, an international
company like IBM, the network install would need to have many language
packs and dictionaries available, since we have employees all over the
world.  So the deployment options become more complex.

-Rob

RE: Install configuration management

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 12:07 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> When the download and execution is *performed* by Apache OpenOffice, the vulnerability is now ours.  That needs to be obvious too.

Howdy,

Just a quick aside here - the idea of organizations using local
extension and template repositories isn't completely out of the blue -
as I recall there where a couple of school systems in the US that did
just this and I a corporation in Japan...I'll try to find my old notes
on that and pass along what I have, if I still have it.

Thanks

Drew Jensen

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think this is all very interesting.

I want to point out that any situation where code is downloaded for execution under the user's privileges while running Apache OpenOffice is an avenue for attack by injection of malicious code and also data mining the user account.

The authentication of downloaded extensions (and templates containing whatever they contain that might be executed) becomes an important matter.  Generally following URLs silently in an extension or template is also a point of vulnerability if it can lead to a script being run as if it is local code.

It is likely overdue that these provisions of OpenOffice.org be subject to careful security review and threat modeling to safeguard user's not realizing what they might be consenting to, and how to minimize the related risks.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Gianluca Turconi <pu...@letturefantastiche.com>.