Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Glen <gl...@model3.net> on 2004/06/10 03:30:14 UTC

using James to queue outgoing mail and forward to another smtp server

Hello James User List,
I am managing 300 kiosks that has quite a robust notification system
that uses email.  The only hole in it is their must be a good internet
connection to the central smtp server for the "robust" emails to go out.

What I want to do is setup james on each of these kiosks to act as a
local smtp server forwarding all mail to the "central" smtp server.
This way it will queue when the network is down.

I have looked into the docs and played with an installation but cannot
find where to start.  Can someone push/nudge me in the right direction?

regards,
Glen

PS I also want to make sure that outgoing smtp services are "locked"
down so the kiosks down become spam distribution points ;-)     Please
share ideas on how best to do this as well...

Re: using James to queue outgoing mail and forward to another smtp server

Posted by "Brian J. Sayatovic" <tr...@one.net>.
Worked!  Thanks!

Regards,
Brian.

Posted by Glen <gl...@model3.net>.

Posted by "Brian J. Sayatovic" <tr...@one.net>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I am managing 300 kiosks that has quite a robust notification system
> that uses email.  The only hole in it is their must be a good internet
> connection to the central smtp server for the "robust" emails to go out.

This is very simple.  Setup RemoteDelivery to use your central SMTP server
as a gateway.

> PS I also want to make sure that outgoing smtp services are "locked"
> down so the kiosks [don't] become spam distribution points

Defined "locked down".  If you mean that you only want the kiosks to send
e-mail that is written on them, that is likewise trivial.

	--- Noel