Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/30 12:43:55 UTC

[HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

>[snip]
>
> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term solution.
>
> Thus, I will do the following:
> - Creation of a complete XML document
> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently no AOO
> 3.4 installation package.
> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
> verification.
> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to a
> certain existing web page for manual download.
> - Activate the update service
> -- move the final XML document to [4].
> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>
> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of next week.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation (operating
> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to download
> page, ...) you want to test.
>
> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/
> [4] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> [5] http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with entries
for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO 3.4
installation package.
Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently empty
landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide information
about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our AOO 3.4 release.
 From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page [7].
The reasons why I choose to provide a link to web page instead of providing
direct download links are the following:
- for platform Linux the "static" solution can not decide which package format
is requested.
- Rob and myself are in favor of such a landing page.
 From the OOo 3.3 update functionality the user can directly open this web page
in the default browser.
The XML document can be found at [4]. I also put it at [3] as file "check.Update".

Please start your testing.
To test please perform the following steps:
(step 1) stop your running OOo 3.3 instance inclusive quickstarter.
(step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini" (Windows)
respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
(step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
[5] by [4] or by "http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/check.Update".
Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".
(step 4) start your OOo 3.3
(step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates
(step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools -
Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should be notified
on the right of your menu bar.

Thanks in advance for your test efforts.

Currently, I have no variants of the XML document ready. But, I am prepared to
create the one or the other corresponding to your feedback.

[6] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/index.html
[7] http://www.openoffice.org/download

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

> [...]
> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini" (Windows)
> respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [5] by [4] or by "http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/check.Update".
> Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".
> (step 4) start your OOo 3.3
> (step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates
> (step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools -
> Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should be notified
> on the right of your menu bar.
>
> Thanks in advance for your test efforts.
>
> Currently, I have no variants of the XML document ready. But, I am prepared to
> create the one or the other corresponding to your feedback.

Andre and myself have tested the following use cases:
- Ubuntu Linux, 64bit, language nl
- Windows 7, language it
- Windows 7, language en-us
- MacOS X, language nl
- MacOS X, language bn

All worked as expected.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 01.06.2012 11:05, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 31.05.2012 18:46, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

>>> Clear.

>>> agree

>>> I can volunteer for this, do we have a draft text for that?
>>

>> No, there is no draft.
>> But Rob suggested in his reply to provide links to the corresponding NL
>> pages. Andrea second it and I am also in favor of it. It would save us some
>> resources.
>
> agree
>
>> The needed updates to the NL pages have to be done nevertheless in my
>> opinion.
>
> Andrea are you going to do that or do you want me to do so?

Rob already made a corresponding investigation and started a thread here [1].
As far as I can see from this thread the italian NL pages is in a good shape.

[1] http://ooo-dev.markmail.org/thread/7ydafrdrqxpctsy3

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 31.05.2012 18:46, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>>>

>>> [snip]
>>>

>>> Ok.
>>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for
>>> part of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic
>>> can
>>> be handled. No objections from my side.
>>>
>>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>>> infrastructure team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which
>>> the
>>> check of updates is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find
>>> an
>>> entry with their data (language, platform, architecture) will state that
>>> an
>>> update is available. All the others will state that the OOo 3.3
>>> installation
>>> is up to date.
>>

>> Clear.
>>
>>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>>

>> agree
>>
>>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>>> established at a certain day.
>>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate
>>> tracking
>>> for this page.
>>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>>

>> I can volunteer for this, do we have a draft text for that?
>

> No, there is no draft.
> But Rob suggested in his reply to provide links to the corresponding NL
> pages. Andrea second it and I am also in favor of it. It would save us some
> resources.

agree

> The needed updates to the NL pages have to be done nevertheless in my
> opinion.

Andrea are you going to do that or do you want me to do so?

Roberto

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>>> established at a certain day.
>>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>>
>> I will try to get in contact with ASF infrastructure team today.

I have submitted JIRA issue INFRA-4871, found at

I am currently trying to get in direct contact with the ASF infrastructure team
to discuss details and to clarify, if the request (INFRA-4871) can be fulfilled.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

some status update - see below

> next and refined steps - see below.
>
> Please hold me back, if the schedule is too tough.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.

>> [snip]
>>

>> Ok.
>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for a part
>> of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can be
>> handled. No objections from my side.
>>
>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF infrastructure
>> team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the check of updates
>> is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an entry with their
>> data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an update is available.
>> All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation is up to date.
>>

>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>
> It looks like we will go for it.
> Thus, I will reduce the current XML document to the italian entries.

I have updated the current XML document [1]
The full version can be found at [2] or [3].

>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>> established at a certain day.
>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>
> I will try to get in contact with ASF infrastructure team today.
>
>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking for
>> this page.
>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>
> Instead of a new landing page it looks like that we will go for the
> corresponding NL pages.
> I will update the links in the XML document accordingly.
> Rob: Can you provide the URL parameters for the Google Analytics tracking?
> I will use "?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade" when I am
> updating the XML document. Please refine, if needed - Thx in advance.

The XML document (and the full version) now contain links to the NL pages
inclusive the Google Analytics tracking parameter.

>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be established
>> on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until Monday.)
>>

> Needs to be read: 2012-06-05 until 2012-06-08
> As the italian NL page is in a good shape and no objections are raised so far I
> think we can go for it.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
[2]
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.full
[3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/check.Update

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 01.06.2012 15:09, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>>> for
>>> this page.
>>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>>

>> Instead of a new landing page it looks like that we will go for the
>> corresponding NL pages.
>> I will update the links in the XML document accordingly.
>> Rob: Can you provide the URL parameters for the Google Analytics tracking?
>> I will use "?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade" when
>> I am updating the XML document. Please refine, if needed - Thx in advance.
>>

> That is correct for upgrades from the 3.3 client.   But we would
> change the "utm_source" parameter when we enable OOo 3.2. updates.
>
> Also, if we follow Andrea's proposal, we don't link to the NL home
> page, but to the NL's download page directly.   (If I understand
> correctly).
>
> For example, Spanish upgrade URL would be:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade

I have check some of the NL pages. Some are linking to localized download sites,
some to the English one.

For our first phase we only need the Italian one. This is already available [1].

I will fill the XML document check.Update.full with the localized download
pages. The languages which have no localized ones I will keep the NL home page.
We have then time until next Thursday to update these pages and the
corresponding links.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/it/download/

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 02/06/2012 Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> Andrea, that page looks actually like the localized version of
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/ right?
> Both seems a very good start, I think.

http://www.openoffice.org/it/download/ is now aligned with the
international and the Spanish page. It is slightly customized, including
some minor validity fixes.

> What about putting the "Please Contribute" content we have on
> SourceForge download pages?

Thanks, I included links from that block in the right hand side column,
while preserving the links we used to have there.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 01.06.2012 15:09, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> next and refined steps - see below.
>>>
>>> Please hold me back, if the schedule is too tough.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Oliver.

>>> It looks like we will go for it.
>>> Thus, I will reduce the current XML document to the italian entries.

>>> I will try to get in contact with ASF infrastructure team today.

>>> Instead of a new landing page it looks like that we will go for the
>>> corresponding NL pages.
>>> I will update the links in the XML document accordingly.
>>> Rob: Can you provide the URL parameters for the Google Analytics
>>> tracking?
>>> I will use "?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade"
>>> when
>>> I am updating the XML document. Please refine, if needed - Thx in
>>> advance.
>>>

>> That is correct for upgrades from the 3.3 client.   But we would
>> change the "utm_source" parameter when we enable OOo 3.2. updates.
>>

> Ok and yes, the parameter can be changed for the update service of other
> versions.
>

>> Also, if we follow Andrea's proposal, we don't link to the NL home
>> page, but to the NL's download page directly.   (If I understand
>> correctly).
>>

> Ok, I will update it.
>
> Recently, I have removed the already reduced XML document, because the ASF
> infrastructure wants to establish the redirect before 2012-06-05.
> Thus, our first phase will start, when I (or somebody else) recreate it.
>

>> For example, Spanish upgrade URL would be:
>>

>> http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>>

> I will check for the Italian download page for our first phase next week.

Cool, so it seems we are in good shape to start this early next week.
Let me know when we need start monitoring the auto-update traffic for
the Italian releases.

Thanks,

Roberto

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 31.05.2012 23:59, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be
>> established on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until
>> Monday.)
>
> You actually mean June, right? I mean, tests will start as soon as next week. Or
> do you actually mean July? I see no reasons for such a long wait.

Yes, I mean June - sorry for the typo.

Please read my proposal: 2012-06-05 until 2012-06-08

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.
or onlist

--

Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
OracleCorporate Architecture Group

[offlist] Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
>> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
>> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
>> download.
>

> Sure, this makes a lot of sense. Testing with the Italian version is
> reasonable because it's approximately 10% of traffic, so a perfect sample;
> the only issue I see is that 80%-90% of the downloads of the Italian version
> come from Italy, so this wouldn't be a test for the global mirror network.

It's not a stress-test, but a practical way to guess how many
auto-updates we'll be serving.

>> One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?
>

> No, every version uses a separate hostname: update36.services.openoffice.org
> will only be accessed by version 3.3.
>
>> Do we think there are many out there?
>

> Enough to crash the openoffice.org web server: if I recall correctly, we had
> big troubles when all updateXY hostnames were redirected to openoffice.org
> (and the reason was determined to be very old, maybe even 2.x, versions,
> sending POST requests in an uncontrolled way). But as Oliver wrote we can
> progressively extend to 3.2 and possibly to earlier releases too.

The fact that the web server crashed doesn't say much, though. The
test phase will put us in the position to make educated guess about
the expected global traffic, and we'll get prepared to serve them all.

I like the idea of moving progressively to 3.2 and beyond.

Roberto

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/31/2012 07:56 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 30.05.2012 22:09, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> So, if we know from existing AOO 3.4 downloads that language/platform
>>> X is Y% of the total, then if we test the OOo 3.3 upgrade with only X,
>>> we can project what the total upgrade volume would be.  That sounds
>>> reasonable.

>> Ok.
>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for a
>> part of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can
>> be handled. No objections from my side.
>>
>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>> infrastructure team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the
>> check of updates is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an
>> entry with their data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an
>> update is available. All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation
>> is up to date.
>>

>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>> established at a certain day.
>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>> for this page.
>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be
>> established on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until
>> Monday.)
>>

>> BTW, as we have for each language own entries in the XML document we can
>> provide translated landing pages if somebody is willing to translate the
>> "master" landing page.
>>

> Is the text in the dialog box in OOo 3.3 localized?  The text that
> says an update is available, please go to this page to download?  Or
> is that in English only?

A second ago I've tried it also with German and I get a German text in
the dialog box.

Marcus

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Am 04.06.12 19:22, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> ASF infrastructure team has established the redirect. It needs to be
>>> propagated
>>> through the dns servers - will take some time.
>>> I will check the redirect today. May be I will also get some numbers in
>>> advance
>>> - how many OOo 3.3 instances are trying today to contact the update
>>> service.
>>>

>> I have checked the redirect - it is working.
>> Thanks a lot to the ASF infrastructure team which helped me a lot.
>>
>> Since the redirect has been established at approx. noon in Europe we already
>> had more than 600k HTTP GET request to the (currently not existing)
>> check.Update file.
>>

> Does one HTTP request == 1 update check?  Or if the server is down,
> are there multiple retries?

These were 600k HTTP GET requests from unique IP adresses.
The overall number was more than 1M HTTP GET requests.

There was not made a deeper analysis, if all HTTP GET requests are
coming from OOo 3.3 instances.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

> On 04.06.2012 10:11, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
>> <or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> My personal opinion is that an update service for OOo 3.3, OOo 3.2.1 and OOo
>>> 3.2 is enough to reach our user base. May be also for OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.1,
>>> if we see a high number of users on OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2.

>>> Thanks.
>>> Let see what happens, when we start tomorrow with the "Italian OOo 3.3
>>> update service".
>>
>> Tomorrow at which time?
>>

> If nobody objects and nothing unforeseen happened I would like to start tomorrow
> European morning at 10:00 (GMT+2).
>
> FYI, I have to check with ASF infrastructure team, if the redirect will be
> available at this time.

ASF infrastructure team has established the redirect. It needs to be propagated
through the dns servers - will take some time.
I will check the redirect today. May be I will also get some numbers in advance
- how many OOo 3.3 instances are trying today to contact the update service.

Our first phase XML document check.Update will be in place tomorrow morning. I
have a working copy a the same URL as file check.Update.full.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 02.06.2012 18:21, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
>> orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>>

>>>  One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?
>>>>

>>> Not yet planned nor tested, but I assume that the XML document only needs
>>> minor adjustments.
>>> OOo 3.2 has the UpdateURL
>>> http://update34.services.**openoffice.org/.<http://update34.services.openoffice.org/.>
>>> ..
>>> OOo 3.2.1 has the Update URL
>>> http://update35.services.**openoffice.org/.<http://update35.services.openoffice.org/.>
>>> ..
>>>
>>> But once the update service is working for OOo 3.3, we can easily do the
>>> same for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 (and even former versions).
>>

>> Oliver,  don't go any further back than maybe 3.1. The 3.0 update URL is
>> the one that uses POST instead of GET, and creates mayhem!
>>
>> This is update30....
>>
>> DO NOT redirect this one. I don't know about some of the others.
>>
>> We should probably be fie with update34, update 35.
>>

> My personal opinion is that an update service for OOo 3.3, OOo 3.2.1 and OOo
> 3.2 is enough to reach our user base. May be also for OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.1,
> if we see a high number of users on OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2.
>

>> Everything else seems great!
>>

> Thanks.
> Let see what happens, when we start tomorrow with the "Italian OOo 3.3
> update service".

Tomorrow at which time?

Roberto

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> aware these users about the AOO 3.4 release. May be we can get feedback
> which languages and/or platforms our users are requesting. May be we can
> activate certain volunteers for these languages/platforms. May be certain
> users would be also satisfied with another localization.
>

>  Do we think there are many out there?
>>

> I do not know.
>
> OOo 3.2 was released at 2010-02-11, OOo 3.2.1 at 2010-06-03.
> OOo 3.3 was out at 2011-01-27. I assume that at this time the former
> update services for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 were available. Thus, the users
> had at least 2,5 months (until mid April 2011) to upgrade. May be former
> update services were longer available - I do not know.
> I could conclude that our OOo 3.2/3.2.1 user base is small compared to the
> OOo 3.3 one from these assumption, but I am not sure.

MzK

"So let it rock, let it roll
Let the bible belt come and save my soul
Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
                               -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 31.05.2012 19:56, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> Ok.
>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for a
>> part of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can
>> be handled. No objections from my side.
>>
>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>> infrastructure team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the
>> check of updates is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an
>> entry with their data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an
>> update is available. All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation
>> is up to date.
>>

>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>> established at a certain day.
>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>> for this page.
>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be
>> established on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until
>> Monday.)
>>

>> BTW, as we have for each language own entries in the XML document we can
>> provide translated landing pages if somebody is willing to translate the
>> "master" landing page.
>>

> Is the text in the dialog box in OOo 3.3 localized?  The text that
> says an update is available, please go to this page to download?  Or
> is that in English only?

It is localized.

> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
> download.  (En is the exception -- we'd send them to
> http://download.openoffice.org directly)

+1 for using the NL pages as the "update landing pages".

> To distinguish these visits from non-upgrade visits, we could tag them
> using URL parameters in a way that Google Analytics can understand.
>
> For example:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> or
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> or
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/it/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade
>
> The extra parameters would be ignored by our website, but GA would
> understand them.

No problem to include such parameters.

> One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?

Not yet planned nor tested, but I assume that the XML document only needs minor
adjustments.
OOo 3.2 has the UpdateURL http://update34.services.openoffice.org/...
OOo 3.2.1 has the Update URL http://update35.services.openoffice.org/...

But once the update service is working for OOo 3.3, we can easily do the same
for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 (and even former versions). We can redirect these URLs

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:43 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<or...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> [snip]
>>

>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>> solution.
>>
>> Thus, I will do the following:
>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
>> no AOO
>> 3.4 installation package.
>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>> verification.
>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links to
>> certain existing web page for manual download.
>> - Activate the update service
>> -- move the final XML document to [4].
>> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>>
>> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of
>> next week.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
>> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
>> (operating
>> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to
>> download
>> page, ...) you want to test.
>>
>> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/
>> [4]
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> [5]
>> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>

> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO
> 3.4 installation package.
> Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our AOO
> 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page [7].
> The reasons why I choose to provide a link to web page instead of providing
> direct download links are the following:
> - for platform Linux the "static" solution can not decide which package
> format is requested.
> - Rob and myself are in favor of such a landing page.
> From the OOo 3.3 update functionality the user can directly open this web
> page in the default browser.
> The XML document can be found at [4]. I also put it at [3] as file
> "check.Update".
>
> Please start your testing.

I'm testing on Windows XP SP3, a clean install of OOo 3.3.0 en_US.

> To test please perform the following steps:
> (step 1) stop your running OOo 3.3 instance inclusive quickstarter.

OK.

> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini" (Windows)
> respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).

It was in c:\Program files\OpenOffice.org 3\program

> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [5] by [4] or by
> "http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/check.Update".

I replaced with:
http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

> Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".

My original string did not have any URL parameters like that.

> (step 4) start your OOo 3.3

OK

> (step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates

OK.

> (step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools -

I did not need to wait long.  It returned immediately with the note
that "Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is available"

> Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should be
> notified on the right of your menu bar.

Clicking download loads the correct webpage into the browser.

Good work, Oliver!

So, for the landing page, we'll want to remind users that they need to
exit OOo 3.3 before installing AOO 3.4

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> [snip]
>>

>> It looks like we can go with the "static" solution as a short-term
>> solution.
>>
>> Thus, I will do the following:
>> - Creation of a complete XML document
>> - Include entries for at least one languages for which we have currently
>> no AOO
>> 3.4 installation package.
>> - Providing the XML document and possible variants on [3] for testing and
>> verification.
>> - Call for volunteers to test the XML document at [3].
>> - Integrate feedback, if we want to have direct download links or links
>> to a
>> certain existing web page for manual download.
>> - Activate the update service
>> -- move the final XML document to [4].
>> -- ask ASF infrastructure team to redirect OOo 3.3 Update URL [5] to [4].
>>
>> My goal is to have the update service for OOo 3.3 running at the end of
>> next week.
>>
>> Any objections?
>>
>> Any volunteers in advance which want to test?
>> If yes, please provide information about your OOo 3.3 installation
>> (operating
>> system and language) and the test cases (direct download link, link to
>> download
>> page, ...) you want to test.
>>
>> [3] http://people.apache.org/~orw/**testupdateservice/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eorw/testupdateservice/>
>> [4] http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
>> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> [5] http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**
>> ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>>

> I have finished the creation of an XML document. It contains a feed with
> entries for all platform and language combinations for which we have an AOO
> 3.4 installation package.

Oliver -- wow! -- a big undertaking! I applaud your efforts!

Each entry provides a link to web page [6]. This web page is a currently
> empty landing page for our OOo 3.3 users. On this page we can provide
> information about our new home at the Apache Software Foundation and our
> AOO 3.4 release. From here we can direct our OOo 3.3 to our download page
> [7].
> The reasons why I choose to provide a link to web page instead of
> providing direct download links are the following:
> - for platform Linux the "static" solution can not decide which package
> format is requested.
> - Rob and myself are in favor of such a landing page.
> From the OOo 3.3 update functionality the user can directly open this web
> page in the default browser.
> The XML document can be found at [4]. I also put it at [3] as file
> "check.Update".
>
> Please start your testing.
> To test please perform the following steps:
> (step 1) stop your running OOo 3.3 instance inclusive quickstarter.
> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini"
> (Windows) respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [5] by [4] or by "http://people.apache.org/~**orw/testupdateservice/check.
> **Update <http://people.apache.org/%7Eorw/testupdateservice/check.Update>
> ".
> Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".
> (step 4) start your OOo 3.3

from Marcus reply, it looks like the pkgfmt did not cause an issue, so this
is good!

Super work!

I agree with  Roberto's comment. We should unleash a subset of the entries
"in the real world" and see what happens.

> (step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates
> (step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools -
> Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should be
> notified on the right of your menu bar.
>
> Thanks in advance for your test efforts.
>
> Currently, I have no variants of the XML document ready. But, I am
> prepared to create the one or the other corresponding to your feedback.
>
> [6] http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
> ProductUpdateService/index.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/index.html>
> [7] http://www.openoffice.org/**download<http://www.openoffice.org/download>
>

> Best regards, Oliver.

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain

Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/30/2012 12:43 PM, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:

> [...]
> (step 2) find in your OOo 3.3 installation the file "version.ini"
> (Windows) respectively the file "versionrc" (other platforms).
> (step 3) in this file replace in field "UpdateURL" the string
> [5] by [4] or by
> "http://people.apache.org/~orw/testupdateservice/check.Update".
> Please keep an existing query part, e.g. "?pkgformat=rpm".
> (step 4) start your OOo 3.3
> (step 5a) check for an update manually via Menu Help - Check for Updates
> (step 5b) wait for the automatic update check configured via Menu Tools
> - Options - OpenOffice.org - Online Update. An available update should
> be notified on the right of your menu bar.
>
> Thanks in advance for your test efforts.
>
> Currently, I have no variants of the XML document ready. But, I am
> prepared to create the one or the other corresponding to your feedback.

I've tested on Linux with OOo 3.3.0 (OOO330m20 Build 9567).
A restart was not necessary but doing so has shown exactly the same
result. Via "Help - Check for updates" and after 2 seconds I got the
following text in the dialog box:

"OpenOffice.org - Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is available.

The installed version is OpenOffice.org 3.3.0.

Note: Before dwnloading an update ..."

When clicking on the [Download] button I get to this webpage with the
dummy text:

http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/

So, for me it seems to work well. :-)

Marcus