Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> on 2006/01/22 09:37:04 UTC

[logging] documentation updates

Hi Robert,

I see you're online and intending to work on documentation.
As you can see, I've been working on it too. I hope I haven't
changed any files you're already working on...

I've done some significant work on guide.xml and somewhat less on
index.xml, and think they are ready to go. I don't intend to do any
more on these, so if you want to update anything in these, please
go ahead.

The tech.xml file would be next on my list - looks like just some minor
updates needed (including lots of "it's" --> "its" :-). Is that ok with
you or are you working on that file?

Cheers,

Simon

Re: [logging] documentation updates

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 00:08 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 09:59 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> i have to go out
> >> in about an hour (i've promised that i'll fix a mate's network and
> >> internet which he needs for university work next week). if you are
> >> around now, feel free to roll a RC1 release for public evaluation.
> >> otherwise, i'll cut one this afternoon (GMT)
> >
> > had a bit of a nightmare day today. to cut a long story short lost all
> > my development time today. just don't ask how a 30 minute job ends up
> > taking up 8 hours door-to-door :-<
> >
> > so, i don't have that document in a coherent state yet :-(
> >
> > shall i start preparing to cut an RC1 now or does anyone have anything
> > else they want to get in first?
>
> The only thing I have left on my list is the changes.xml document.
> However that is not a show stopper, it could even wait until the next
> release.

my expectation is that some changes will be needed (they usually are). i
have some documentation i've been working on and i've spotted one or two
other things i'd like to correct (documentation-wise). i'm working from
a tag so feel free to do your change.

> We should go through Bugzilla to see is there are any issues that have
> been fixed. The link on the new issue-tracking page for showing all open
> issues is great!

+1

- robert

Re: [logging] documentation updates

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 09:59 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> i have to go out
>>> in about an hour (i've promised that i'll fix a mate's network and
>>> internet which he needs for university work next week). if you are
>>> around now, feel free to roll a RC1 release for public evaluation.
>>> otherwise, i'll cut one this afternoon (GMT)
>>
>> had a bit of a nightmare day today. to cut a long story short lost all
>> my development time today. just don't ask how a 30 minute job ends up
>> taking up 8 hours door-to-door :-<
>>
>> so, i don't have that document in a coherent state yet :-(
>>
>> shall i start preparing to cut an RC1 now or does anyone have anything
>> else they want to get in first?
>
> The only thing I have left on my list is the changes.xml document.
> However that is not a show stopper, it could even wait until the next
> release.

Having had a go at a changes.xml file, using the resolved issues from
Bugzilla, I realize that it will not make a good and useful document. I
compared it to those from other commons components, and think that a
changes.xml file really needs to be updated incrementally between two
releases. So I will not be checking this in for the 1.1 release.

<snip>

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [logging] documentation updates

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 21:52 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 09:59 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> had a bit of a nightmare day today. to cut a long story short lost all
> my development time today. just don't ask how a 30 minute job ends up
> taking up 8 hours door-to-door :-<

Murphy is clearly alive and well ;-)

> so, i don't have that document in a coherent state yet :-(
>
> shall i start preparing to cut an RC1 now or does anyone have anything
> else they want to get in first?

Nothing I want to add..

Regards,

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 22:21 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 09:12 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > i've been playing around with a new document (or possibly two) over the
> > last few months: a troubleshooting document. i'd really like to get it
> > finished but i've been finding it difficult to write and i'm not very
> > happy with it ATM. maybe i'll see if i can pull together a first draft
> > so that other people have a chance to take a look...
> >
> > could also do with a guide for downstream rebundlers including advice on
> > options for people like drools. haven't start this yet (but some of the
> > content currently in troubleshooting may end in there) so if anyone
> > wants to pick it up, go ahead.
>
> Sounds like this is a fine candidate for putting up on the wiki rather
> than embedding in the static project page. A "work in progress" that may
> need updating later is going to be awkward embedded in the site.

the document i have in mind really wants distributing with the release.
i'd also like it referred to in the release notes. IMO a document
explaining why JCL runs in to problems and how to fix them is vital.

the wiki is bad for important documentation that needs to be available
long term (a good example is that the best practises document has gone
missing). svn is mirrored offshore and forms a public record. the main
website is also better indexed which is important when users are trying
to find out how to fix things.

> And the benefit is that we can also get the RC out without waiting for
> the doc :-).

since every commons release seems to require multiple release
candidates, we can go ahead with a candidate for feedback without having
to wait.

> Actually, apart from the minor work Dennis was going to do:
>  * make release#s in the menu which are currently "clickable" into
>    plain text like digester site
>  * replace junit report with static text about how ant is used
> I think we are ready to go.
>
> As those are so minor, what do you think about creating RC1 right now?

what we could do with is a dry run for local criticism and so that
people can check all the stuff that usually goes wrong. i have to go out
in about an hour (i've promised that i'll fix a mate's network and
internet which he needs for university work next week). if you are
around now, feel free to roll a RC1 release for public evaluation.
otherwise, i'll cut one this afternoon (GMT)

in general, i'd favour using the alpha, beta, gold process for this
release so that we can encourage users to test the release before it's
cut.

- robert

Re: [logging] documentation updates

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 21:37 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I see you're online and intending to work on documentation.
> As you can see, I've been working on it too. I hope I haven't
> changed any files you're already working on...
>
> I've done some significant work on guide.xml and somewhat less on
> index.xml, and think they are ready to go. I don't intend to do any
> more on these, so if you want to update anything in these, please
> go ahead.
>
> The tech.xml file would be next on my list - looks like just some minor
> updates needed (including lots of "it's" --> "its" :-). Is that ok with
> you or are you working on that file?

sounds good :)

i've been playing around with a new document (or possibly two) over the
last few months: a troubleshooting document. i'd really like to get it
finished but i've been finding it difficult to write and i'm not very
happy with it ATM. maybe i'll see if i can pull together a first draft
so that other people have a chance to take a look...

could also do with a guide for downstream rebundlers including advice on
options for people like drools. haven't start this yet (but some of the
content currently in troubleshooting may end in there) so if anyone
wants to pick it up, go ahead.

so, feel free to work on all of the existing documentation without fear
of stepping on my toes.

- robert