Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Patrick Strang <st...@e.kth.se> on 2002/08/29 12:55:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 caching php?

I've just got my Apache 2.0.40 up and running, with it i run php 4.2.2 as a module.

Why is it that the Apache-server is sending a "HTTP 304 Not Changed" to the browser when i access my php-pages, thus seeing only an out-of-date page? It has been spoken of as early as 2.0.35 but why hasn't anyone fixed it in a later release - or have someone come up with a simple solution to this?

/Patrick

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 caching php?

Posted by Koen Vingerhoets <ko...@ubench.com>.
Turn off caching?
Put this is in the HTML header:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="cache-control" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

It's weird that the PHP caches... maybe add a hidden form tag in your
header.inc or footer.inc - with your date in it it would change the page
everytime.

inc's is what large sites (or smart writers) use ;)

Koen

Posted by Patrick Strang <st...@e.kth.se>.

========================

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up apache

Posted by Peter <pg...@optusnet.com.au>.
I have found that if I change the script name form userfunctions.php to
userfunctions.htm then it runs ok.  Thius for some reason scripts which end
in .php are not being processed properly. This must therefore be problem
with apache configuration.  Has anyone else had this sort of problem and if
so how was it solved. Note that the site with scripts ending in a mixture of
.htm, .php works perfectly on my win98 and winnt boxes. It is only on the
linux box I am having this problem.

Regards

Peter Goggin
Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
> I have just restarted Apache (full not graceful) and the processes are
> still using about 30 Meg of ram. This was as soon as it restarted.
>
> Is their any tools available to see what is causing this?

you may start with server-status
set ExtendedStatus ON

looks like you're better off with a self-compiled server
--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund     Thum
|  |

Re: [users@httpd] Ram Usage

Posted by John Wards <j....@sportnetwork.net>.

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, John Wards wrote:
>
> > I have been getting increasingly concerend with apache 1.3 using so much
RAM
> > per process. Before the weekend it was using about 20-25 meg per process
now
> > it is using about 30 meg.....With a website that is getting about
100,000
> > pageviews a day and will proably do about 150,000 today if the server
> > doesn't run out of RAM this is rather worrying.
> >
> > Should Apache be using this amount of RAM and is their any tools that I
can
> > use to see what the heck is going on?
>
> It is not uncommon for something (say an external library) to slowly leak
> memory due to imperfections in the code.
>
> Restarting apache, or restarting the child which has leaked will generally
> reclaim this memory. For this reason it is possible to specify a
> MaxRequests number a child should handle before it recycles itself.
>
> Setting this to a couple of thousand requests generally solves this issue;
> that way there is virtually no load due to the extra dying/recreation of
> children - yet small memory leaks in for example an oracle or php adaptor
> stay managable.
>
> Dw

I have just restarted Apache (full not graceful) and the processes are still
using about 30 Meg of ram. This was as soon as it restarted.

Is their any tools available to see what is causing this?

Cheers
John Wards
SportNetwork.net

Re: [users@httpd] Ram Usage

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

[users@httpd] Ram Usage

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up apache

> The easiest way (unless your network is going to expand a lot) is to
> edit the /etc/hosts files on Linux giving the IP/name pairs so Linux
> can resolve the Windows machines properly. On the Windows machine,
> you edit:
>
> <windows>\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
>
> ......and add the IP/name pair of the Linux machine.
>
> That's probably the simplest/easiest way to get it all working.
>
> HTH
>
> Chris Taylor - The guy with the PS2 WebServer
> Email: chris@x-bb.org - PGP: http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

---

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up apache

> The access using Netscape/internet explorer
> are:
>
> Linux to 10.0.0.2, and 10.0.0.3 succeeds
> Linux to peterg2 and petergnt1 fails
>
> peterg2 to petergnt1 succeeds
> peterg2 to 10.0.0.3 succeeds
> petergnt1 to 10.0.0.2 succeeds
> petergnt1 to peterg2 succeeds
>
> Neither win box can access either 10.0.0.1 or peterglinux using
> browser.
>
> As far as I know I have not set up a dns server on either of the
> win boxes. Where should I set up the server ? on the linux box? If
> so how?
>
> Regards
>
> Peter Goggin

---

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up apache

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Sorry for the delay; I've been too busy to keep up with this list ;-)
When done with this one, only 763 message to go... :(

Patrick Strang wrote:
> > Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > add a variable to your PHP pages URL, like my_page?x=date
> >
> > That works, but should not be necessary.
> >
> > Patrick, I have Apache 2.0.36/Win32 (I know, should upgrade both ;-)
with
> > PHP 4.2.1, and have had no problem with caching them. Can you perhaps
check
> > what the browser sends in its request?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robert Andersson
>

> I've tried with IE, Mozilla and Opera and the problem arises everywhere.
(The server is a Debian with 2.2.20 kernel).
> In my access-logs it says:
> "GET /index.php HTTP/1.1" 304 0

That is weird, I think. Nowhere have I seen a "normal" php been accessed as
304 before. I just checked a great deal of log files to see if I could see
any instance of that, but found none; all are returnd as 200.

What I thought first, was that the client wasn't sending a request, but
apparently it is not so. Then, I thought that there may be some lame
(caching) proxy inbetween, that sent back a cached version of the page. I
currently have problems with a client, that I've made a lot of neat
web-based managing tools for, but they can rarely see any instant change,
because they sit behind some stupid proxy. This was, apparently, not the
case either.

A PHP-script itself may output a 304 status response, but that is not the
case here, right?

I think it boils down to some Apache or PHP setting. I think both have
caching directives, which might be misconfigured. If you haven't already
solved this, try checking these.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 caching php?

Posted by Ion Larranaga <il...@s21sec.com>.
Have you tried adding FileETag none to your configuration file?

  Ion Larranaga

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:09:37PM +0200, Robert Andersson wrote:
> Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > add a variable to your PHP pages URL, like my_page?x=date
>
> That works, but should not be necessary.
>
> Patrick, I have Apache 2.0.36/Win32 (I know, should upgrade both ;-) with
> PHP 4.2.1, and have had no problem with caching them. Can you perhaps
check
> what the browser sends in its request?
>
> Regards,
> Robert Andersson

I've tried with IE, Mozilla and Opera and the problem arises everywhere.
(The server is a Debian with 2.2.20 kernel).
In my access-logs it says:
"GET /index.php HTTP/1.1" 304 0

/Patrick Strang

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 caching php?