Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Saeedeh Alimardani <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/21 16:07:53 UTC

solr

Hi
I am new to Solr and Lucene.
I have some simple and general question about Solr.
1.dose Solr have database? or it only index document that we define for it?
2.can we use Solr to search like other search engine?
3.can we use Solr to search among all websites like Google?

Re: solr

Posted by Saeedeh Alimardani <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.
I tried *B*ing but its result is not comparable to Google.
I need to get result in google. but its is not free.
I don't know that by using Bing can I access to this result.

Re: solr

Posted by Aman Tandon <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
the results in google index is quite good as compared to bing. We were at
same position as like you but we were using it for the finding correct
spelling. Google blocked us.many times so we started fluctuating the IP, if
you want to use google only you can apply the same.

Re: solr

Posted by Mark Bennett <ma...@lucidworks.com>.
Answers below.

Re: solr

Posted by Aman Tandon <am...@gmail.com>.
3.can we use Solr to search among all websites like Google

Yes but you need to crawl the all the pages of website and needs to create
an index with all desired fields from those websites data which user might
search.