Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net> on 2007/01/24 02:16:00 UTC

sa-learn --sync importance ???

Can anyone comment on the true importance of this command and option below?

sa-learn --sync

my simple research is telling me that if you don't do this at some regular
interval, that your training isn't fully put into action when journaling
starts.

I haven't found much mention of it on the www yet I am still checking

I was tipped off by reading this doc - url and by doing a frequent  ls -axl
in the /home/spamd/.spamassassin directory on one of our servers

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/sa-learn.html

and by noticing that traffic on my server was generating what to my
noviceness at this is "journaling"???

am I correct?

Those in the know, Please do enlighten us all  :-)

 - rh

--
Robert - Abba Communications
   Computer & Internet Services

Re: sa-learn --sync importance ???

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
R Lists06 wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the true importance of this command and option below?
>
> sa-learn --sync

Only when upgrading is this option *truly* important.
> my simple research is telling me that if you don't do this at some regular
> interval, that your training isn't fully put into action when journaling
> starts.

SA when it performs an oportunistic expiry check will sync the journal
first.

Also, unless you've enabled the "bayes_learn_to_journal" option (off by
default), the journal only contains atime updates, so this won't really
matter much.

Re: sa-learn --sync importance ???

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 08:37:01AM -0800, R Lists06 wrote:
> Do you know what the size or time threshold is?

perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf, look for bayes and or journal. :)

> Im sure time is a factor in there too right as maybe the size wouldn't make
> it there in a reasonable timeframe?

Generally, as long as the journal is synced before an expire (and an expire
will force a sync), there's no problem.  The atime updates which is all the
journal typically tracks, are only used for expires.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"If you like that sort of thing, it's the sort of thing you'll like."

RE: sa-learn --sync importance ???

Posted by R Lists06 <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> I didn't quite parse that.  But "man sa-learn", it has many an
> informational
> statement about how it all works.
>
> In short, by default, it stores token timestamp updates.  Whenever the
> journal
> goes over a certain size, SA will automatically sync it for you.

Thank you Theo and Matt for the info

Re: sa-learn --sync importance ???

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 05:16:00PM -0800, R Lists06 wrote:
> sa-learn --sync

Puts the journal information into the DB.

> my simple research is telling me that if you don't do this at some regular
> interval, that your training isn't fully put into action when journaling
> starts.

I didn't quite parse that.  But "man sa-learn", it has many an informational
statement about how it all works.

In short, by default, it stores token timestamp updates.  Whenever the journal
goes over a certain size, SA will automatically sync it for you.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"I'm looking for a Linux equivilant to PC Magazine."   - Brian Dudek
 "Unfortunately, this isn't available. Linux-centric magazines tend to
 actually contain useful information."         - Chris Saunderson