Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/05/22 17:57:01 UTC

release notes from deprecated releases

The 10.3.2 and 10.3.1 releases have disappeared from our download page.
I think that's good because those releases exposed a serious data
corruption bug. However, now that those releases have disappeared, how
will users retrieve the incremental release notes from 10.3.2 and
10.3.1? Unfortunately, the 10.3.3 release notes are not sufficient for a
user who is upgrading from 10.2.2. That is because the 10.3.3 release
notes only describe the delta between 10.3.3 and 10.3.2. Users will also
want to understand the important compatibility issues documented in the
10.3.1 release notes. How should we get this information to our users?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: release notes from deprecated releases

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> > On 5/22/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
> > For 10.3, would it be sufficient to add svn links to the RELEASE-NOTES
> > with certain revisions on our web site?
> > something like:
> > for 10.3.1.4:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=561793&content-type=text%2Fplain
> > for 10.3.2.1:
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=599095&content-type=text%2Fplain
> >

> I think that's a good suggestion, although when I click on those links, my
> browser spins unproductively.

Hm, not sure what that's all about, but I got html source with firefox
(html with windows explorer)...Possibly this is related to the problem
with testing/README.htm...
So maybe this isn't such a good idea?

> For the release notes bundled in the distributions, maybe a given
> RELEASE_NOTES.html should contain a link to the release notes of the
> previous release (along the lines of what you're suggesting for the 10.3.3
> download page). We could teach the release notes generator how to do this.
> Over time, the daisy chain would be long enough to be useful.

If we're going to teach the generator more tricks, maybe the new
RELEASE-NOTES.html can just include a section for the RELEASE-NOTES of
each official release (on the same branch)...If the resulting file
isn't too unwieldy.

> Regards,
> -Rick
Myrna

Re: release notes from deprecated releases

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On 5/22/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> The 10.3.2 and 10.3.1 releases have disappeared from our download page. I
>> think that's good because those releases exposed a serious data corruption
>> bug. However, now that those releases have disappeared, how will users
>> retrieve the incremental release notes from 10.3.2 and 10.3.1?
>> Unfortunately, the 10.3.3 release notes are not sufficient for a user who is
>> upgrading from 10.2.2. That is because the 10.3.3 release notes only
>> describe the delta between 10.3.3 and 10.3.2. Users will also want to
>> understand the important compatibility issues documented in the 10.3.1
>> release notes. How should we get this information to our users?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> I was thinking about the same thing...
>
> Maybe we should start including earlier release notes on the same
> branch in subsequent releases, calling them e.g.
> 10.3.1.4_RELEASE-NOTES.html and .10.3.2.1_RELEASE-NOTES.html

Hi Myrna,

This would be a way to repair the situation for the next release
distributions.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Myrna van Lunteren
> <m....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/22/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The 10.3.2 and 10.3.1 releases have disappeared from our download page. I
>>> think that's good because those releases exposed a serious data corruption
>>> bug. However, now that those releases have disappeared, how will users
>>> retrieve the incremental release notes from 10.3.2 and 10.3.1?
>>> Unfortunately, the 10.3.3 release notes are not sufficient for a user who is
>>> upgrading from 10.2.2. That is because the 10.3.3 release notes only
>>> describe the delta between 10.3.3 and 10.3.2. Users will also want to
>>> understand the important compatibility issues documented in the 10.3.1
>>> release notes. How should we get this information to our users?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>

>> I was thinking about the same thing...
>>
>> Maybe we should start including earlier release notes on the same
>> branch in subsequent releases, calling them e.g.
>> 10.3.1.4_RELEASE-NOTES.html and .10.3.2.1_RELEASE-NOTES.html
>>
>> For 10.3, would it be sufficient to add svn links to the RELEASE-NOTES
>> with certain revisions on our web site?
>> something like:
>> for 10.3.1.4:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=561793&content-type=text%2Fplain
>> for 10.3.2.1:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=599095&content-type=text%2Fplain
>>

> Linking these as MIME type text/html looks better in my browser (Safari):
>
> for 10.3.1.4:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=561793&content-type=text%2Fhtml
> for 10.3.2.1:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=599095&content-type=text%2Fhtml
>
> andrew

Using https works for me from inside my corporate firewall:

https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=561793&content-type=text%2Fhtml
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/branches/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.html?revision=599095&content-type=text%2Fhtml

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.