Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au> on 2010/11/05 00:22:02 UTC

best stack ...

Hi all,

I'm starting a new project, which will be in beta (non-prod) for some
time and I'd like to start with the current cutting edge setup with the
hope that it will be the standard or release phase down the track.

I'd like to set up my development environment for rapid development.

The project may need to be deployed to tomcat for hosting, but
development could be done on Resin if necessary. I've never used Resin
but if the development time advantages are sufficient I would consider
this approach.

I've always used Eclipse.
Haven't used Tapestry 5.2 yet but would like to start..
Don't really like Maven but have found it's a necessary evil if you want
to develop with Tapestry 5.

The quickstart tutorial seems a little outdated
(http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tutorial1/env.html) - is there an
updated version or a tutorial anywhere?

also, there's been some discussion regarding tomcat not working well
with the custom classloader in tapestry .. does anyone have a setup
tutorial/guide on how to get these two working together?

thanks, paul.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:27:22 -0200, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I prefer Jetty to run my application.
> I'm always amazed at how tortured people's setups are.

Mee too.

> It's really simple:
> Create a project (using Maven, or otherwise).
> Use the RunJettyRun Eclipse plugin.

You can even use Jetty without a plugin: add Jetty to your classpath and
create a main mathod that starts an embedded instance of it. Then run or
debug it as you were running or testing a hello world. :) I've posted my
code (just some lines) in this mailing list before but I'm extremely lazy
to search it this moment. :P

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.
AH!!

just figured out that m2eclipse was configured to be offline... i use
multiple workspaces (for different project groups) and this workspace
has never used the plugin before ... :(

however, i now have the surefire problem fixed, and i assume perhaps the
T5.2 maven issues listed earlier ...

p.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.
Hi Andreas,

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Not sure why you get "The

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry PMC / Tacos developer

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>.
Howard,

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Depends on the type of project you're making and policies you enforce.

If you always depend on releases or if your snapshot deps are from
projects that don't often change their deps, then yes, it's very easy to
manage libs manually (basically a one-time setup process)

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I've opted to use Maven to run Jetty (mvn jetty:run).  Combined with
the m2eclipse plugin, this gives me a lot of flexibility.

In Eclipse, I can Run or Debug.  I can also run from the command-line.
 In the pom.xml I can specify which version of Jetty I want to use.
This is important if you want to use JNDI, because the RunJettyRun
plugin doesn't (the last time I looked) support Jetty Plus, which
provides JNDI.  This has ended up being the simplest for me.
RunJettyRun was great until I needed JNDI.

mrg

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I bet you make sure your JARs have version numbers in the name, though!

Take a peek at Gradle when you get a chance; it's really
best-of-both-worlds.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com>.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Adam Zimowski <zi...@gmail.com>.

Re: best stack ...

Re: best stack ...

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: best stack ...

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:22:02 -0200, Paul Stanton <pa...@mapshed.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi!.

> The project may need to be deployed to tomcat for hosting, but
> development could be done on Resin if necessary. I've never used Resin
> but if the development time advantages are sufficient I would consider
> this approach.

Why not Jetty? I strongly recommend it for development. Starts in a couple
seconds, maybe even less. I use it for production too. It's used in the
Google Application Engine. It's now an Eclipse project.
I can't see any reason for using Tomcat in development. today

> I've always used Eclipse.
> Haven't used Tapestry 5.2 yet but would like to start..
> Don't really like Maven but have found it's a necessary evil if you want
> to develop with Tapestry 5.

Maven is not needed to work with Tapestry 5 at all. Of course, using it
you don't have to worry about dependencies. In Eclipse, m2eclipse helps a
lot.