Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/22 03:45:35 UTC

MSDN Subscription for Apache Committers

Hi,

Is $subject still offered? Mine has expired, and could not find a way to
renew it. Found [1] in mail archives, but leads to a 404.

[1]. https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/donated-
licenses/msdn-subscription.html

Thanks.

RE: MSDN Subscription for Apache Committers

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org>.
I just checked. It's there right now. But it is only accessible to ASF committers.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Isuru

Posted by taka878787you1112580 <ta...@gmail.com>.
\u3069\u3093\u306a\u7269\u3067\u3057\u3087\u3046\u304b\uff1f(�`:)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Luciano, *
>
> Can we really expect that? I don't think. The subscription we get costs a
> load of money per year for normal people out there. We have to be lucky for
> such an offer. I think, Microsoft don't like to support a inactive
> committer, who save a load of money and work anymore for the ASF. So I
> understand, that they only give the subscribtion for a year. So I think we
> should be thankful for this.

Various companies provide free license for their products for open source
usage (e.g. InteliJ, Atlassian) and they have a very simple process for
applying. Looks like for MS we don't have a simple process to apply
anomore, so I was looking at alternatives, and one that came to mind was to
after going through the "long validation process", then the committer is
approved for a long term subscription. Then we could definetly tweak the
process, periodically simle revalidation, where committer would say I am
still using for Open Source purposes, or Termination when MS stop providing
the functionality.

> I was also profiting two years from the MSDN Subscription, even the main
> work was for Apache OpenOffice!
>
> Also MS is one of the longest standing Platium sponsor from the ASF (or
> the longest)

Sure, but we are also producing software that works on the MS platform, and
without the subscription, it gets harder to validate and support gets stale
(e.g a notebook project I help has been having build and running issues on
Windows, and I don't have a valid license to try to fix this on the Win
platform) ... So I believe it's a mutual benefit here.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Luciano, *

Can we really expect that? I don't think. The subscription we get costs a
load of money per year for normal people out there. We have to be lucky
for such an offer. I think, Microsoft don't like to support a inactive
committer, who save a load of money and work anymore for the ASF. So I
understand, that they only give the subscribtion for a year. So I think we
should be thankful for this.

I was also profiting two years from the MSDN Subscription, even the main
work was for Apache OpenOffice!

Also MS is one of the longest standing Platium sponsor from the ASF (or
the longest)

Regards, Raphael

Posted by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org>.
No.