Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marouane Amraoui <Ma...@omnidata.co.ma> on 2007/04/16 22:01:58 UTC

Team management : How to manage local repository ? best practice ?

Imagine this situation :

1.	I have developer team .
2.	the developer's computer dont  have access to internet (so no access to remote repository maven)
3.	How can I manage the dependencies in this situation ?

	a.	If I use local repository , if developer add a new dependency to the project , how can he put this dependency in the local repository ?
	b.	When I commit my project into svn, there is a way to verify if all new dependencies are in the local repository or not ?  I don't want to commit changes in SVN if some dependencies are not

Available in the local repository ...

4.	there are some bests practice in managing local repository.

Thx for your help .

Merouane AMRAOUI
Consultant Expert
Division Développement
Email.: mamraoui@omnidata.co.ma

Gsm  .: 065 19 60 99
Tél. | Tel.: 022 98 70 70Téléc | Fax: 022 98 70 70
OMNIDATA , 74 Bv AbdelMoumen

Re: Team management : How to manage local repository ? best practice ?

Posted by "Henry S. Isidro" <hi...@exist.com>.
Hi,

The best is to use a repository proxy. This proxy should be in a machine that
has access to the internet so that it can pull artifacts from the central
remote repository or any other repository. Your devs would then use this
proxy (which should be accessible in your lan) to get their dependencies
from.  Archiva allows you to set up a proxy repository as well as manage it.
Check it out.

HTH,
Henry

Posted by Dave Levitt <da...@gmail.com>.
Taking things out of order....

For 3a, mvn:install should suffice to install [tested, approved]
artifacts into the local repository. For control purposes, the normal
sort of filesystem/ftp access controls [or whatever controls are
available on a repository  proxy server]

For 3b, assume a Continuous Integration server, capable of interacting
with svn as a 'pre-commit' hook script. The CI builder will have
access only to a designated set of repository artifacts. [the
'approved' set] If the target cannot be built / fails testing then the
commit is rolled back, and the CI server notifies its designated list
[the commiter, project manager...]