Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2005/06/29 07:54:26 UTC

Geronimo XDoclet module contribution

Aarons "So I'm working on..." mail prompted me to get this discussion
going..

In December 2004 I did done some work on XDoclet 1.2.2 support for
Geronimo EJBs but did not get around to contributing it.  Currently it
supports the generation of the openejb-jar.xml file for session and
message-driven beans.

I would like to discuss where the most appropriate place to contribute the
Geronimo XDoclet plugin code would be.

Should we:

1. Maintain & Develop the it under the Geronimo project (incorporating it
into the Geronimo build process).

Benefits: The XDoclet support is maintained by the Geronimo developers and
is kept in sync with Geronimo.  Possibility to respond quicker to bugs -
users don't have to wait for the next XDoclet release to include the bug
fixes.  Could use Maven to download XDoclet and the appropriate version of
the Geronimo plug-in
http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/maven-plugin.html

Disadvantages: The development of XDoclet v1.x modules is usually done
under the XDoclet project and when a version of XDoclet is released, it
includes modules for the different app servers.  This would mean if a user
grabbed the next version of XDoclet v1.x it would not automatically
include support for Geronimo.  For example, for an Xdoclet 1.2.3 release,
the user would have to copy the file xdoclet-geronimo-1.2.3.jar to their
XDoclet lib directory.

2.  Maintain & Develop it under the XDoclet project -
http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/index.html

Benefits: The Geronimo module would automatically be included in future
versions of XDoclet and its documentation would be shown on the XDoclet
web site.  Note: there is a bunch of modules (@soap, @struts, @axis,
@tapestry) grouped under "apache" on the XDoclet site
http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/tags/apache-tags.html

Disadvantages: Higher chance that the XDoclet module won't be maintained
properly (e.g. Geronimo is enhanced, but nobody remembers to add support
for the enhancement to the XDoclet plug-in).  Not possible to have
multiple versions of the Geronimo XDoclet module (e.g. a version for each
milestone build or release of Geronimo).  This does not sound practical
considering Geronimo's configuration has not yet stabilised and is likely
to evolve further.  Unknown schedule for XDoclet releases.

Further work required
==================
the following contributions/help by others are welcome :-) :

- Incorporate support for recent additions to Geronimo's configuration xsd
files.
- Improvements to the Geronimo XDoclet tag documentation
- web support
- entity beans support
- GBeans support
- Testing with XDoclet support in Eclipse WTP and other IDEs
- Improving the documentation in Geronimo's xsd configuration files to aid
users diagnosing problems.

John

Re: Geronimo XDoclet module contribution

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+10000

-dain

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.