Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com> on 2005/01/17 06:09:42 UTC

Can I use Hibernate with Jetspeed 2 ??

Hi all,

I tried to look up on google, but only found an article dated back in May
that J2 will soon have Hibernate support.

I would like to know if I can use Hibernate with J2. I dont know the best
way to architect this, but if J2 doeesnot provide any inbuilt support and I
have to write everything in my application, I guess that is fine too.

I downloaded the code from CVS on 17th Jan. and there was a DB Browser
application in that, but that doesnot work, and it probably looks like it is
still not finished, and also it doesnot user Hibernate I think.

Please advise !!!

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Can I use Hibernate with Jetspeed 2 ??

Posted by "Scott T. Weaver" <sc...@binary-designs.net>.
You can use Hibernate to create your own portlet applications, that's
fine, well fine as long as  you don't plan on donating them to Apache.
You could also easily replace the current O/R layer in Jetspeed 2 with
Hibernate as it is using Spring for that, again, that is only if you do
not plan on donating your changes back to Apache.  Apache legal decided
many moons ago that the LGPL, per their interpretation, is incompitable
with the ASL.  They site that there is a clause in the LGPL that could
allow LGPL'd code to virulent infect an end-user's proprietary code,
legally converting said code proprietary to LGPL code.

As for me, I hate this!  I like Hibernate and use it for many apps.  I
also feel that we (Apache developers) loose out on choosing to use
certain OS projects do to this interpretation of the LGPL

Jonathan Hawkins wrote:

> What is the issue with the licences.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon Hawkins
>
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
>> Shah Amit wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I tried to look up on google, but only found an article dated back
>>> in May that J2 will soon have Hibernate support.
>>>
>>> I would like to know if I can use Hibernate with J2. I dont know the
>>> best way to architect this, but if J2 doeesnot provide any inbuilt
>>> support and I have to write everything in my application, I guess
>>> that is fine too.
>>>

>> The Apache license is not compatible with Hibernates license.
>> Thus we cannot use Hibernate in Jetspeed-2.
>> However you are free to use Hibernate in your portlet applications or
>> component implementations.
>>
>>> I downloaded the code from CVS on 17th Jan. and there was a DB
>>> Browser application in that, but that doesnot work, and it probably
>>> looks like it is still not finished, and also it doesnot user
>>> Hibernate I think.
>>>
>> The DB Browser should work fine.
>> Let me know if it doesn't.
>> Again, its in an Apache CVS. Can't use Hibernate.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover

*           Scott T. Weaver               *
*         <we...@apache.org>             *
*     <http://www.einnovation.com>        *
* --------------------------------------  *
*   Apache Jetspeed Enterprise Portal     *
*     Apache Pluto Portlet Container      *
* OpenEdit, Website Content Management    *
*     <http://www.openedit.org>           *

Re: Can I use Hibernate with Jetspeed 2 ??

Posted by Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com>.
I have written a very simple portlet that uses hibernate on the backend to
connect to DB with c3p0 connection pool. The portlet is very very simple.
Just has a submit button on the front and when you click that button, it
selects all records from a "table" and System.out's the records on console
(or catalina.out). (I am working on making it do more as I get time)

The "table" is the "clubs" table of the Database browser application that is
shipped with jetspeed.

Also I have used the "Thread Local Session" pattern at a very simple level
which is sugggested by hibernate.

I would like to share the portlet if anyone is interested. This way I can
share the work and get more suggestions towards my approach.

Please let me know if anyone is interested. I dont know if I can simply mail
the portlet in a zip file attachment on this mailing list under this thread.

Regards,
Amit

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Can I use Hibernate with Jetspeed 2 ??

Posted by Jonathan Hawkins <jo...@hawkinsweb.co.uk>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.