Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2003/01/02 00:10:41 UTC

Tag

Serge,
Have you tagged/branched cvs yet?
d.

R: james migration problem

Posted by Davide Frigerio <da...@wise-lab.it>.
Thanks I fix the problem with v2.1

Davide.

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
Inviato: martedì 7 gennaio 2003 16.51
A: James Users List
Oggetto: RE: james migration problem

Davide,

Which version of James?  There was a problem with file repositories in
versions prior to the v2.1 release version

	--- Noel

RE: james migration problem

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Davide,

james migration problem

Posted by Davide Frigerio <da...@wise-lab.it>.
I have some problem in James migration. I changed the directory of James
installation and I restarted the server, now the mail stored in inboxes are
ignored when the user try to download the mail.

Thanks.
Davide Frigerio.

RE: multidomain

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Marc,

I ran into this problem too. It's because James requires a password (when
SMTP-AUTH is enabled) for outbound email. If the email is destined for
James, it happily accepts it without a password, but if James needs to send
it to someone else, it requires the password (this is how it keeps your
server safe from being used as a relay).

Look for the <servername> section and add your domains there. If you need
more specific help, just let me know.

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

Re: multidomain

RE: multidomain

R: multidomain

Posted by Davide Frigerio <da...@wise-lab.it>.

RE: multidomain

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

R: multidomain

RE: multidomain

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

multidomain

Posted by Davide Frigerio <da...@wise-lab.it>.

multidomain

Posted by Davide Frigerio <da...@wise-lab.it>.

Client tests

Posted by Matthew Bishop <ma...@thebishops.org>.
> While a human was running the user script against James with a specific
> client app, a mailet would capture the _exact_ stream from the client and
> store it, along with the James return stream for each action in the script.

OK, not a mailet, a logger then.

Matt Bishop
matt@thebishops.org

"We are all here on earth to help others.  What I can't figure out is what
the others are here for."
    - W. H. Auden

Re: Client tests

Posted by Matthew Bishop <ma...@thebishops.org>.
> This has been discussed, and Harmeet started work on test scripts.  The
> issue, however, is that your primary tests must be written based upon the
> relevant RFC specifications, not upon client interactions.

I think you need both.  RFC testing is the ideal, client scripts reflect the
real world that James will run in.

RE: Client tests

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Matt,

Re: Tag

Posted by Matthew Bishop <ma...@thebishops.org>.
> - Protocol Simulator for testing RFC compilance.
> Problem is that it is that tests cannot be easily extended - no
> functions/objects

This is similar to something I am considering, which is a client simulator
that would simulate real-world interactions James has with various mail
clients.  Basically, a user-oriented script (not a software script, a
"human" script) is created that covers the majority of client actions, like
check mail, send mail, send mail w/attachments, check mail with incorrect
username, etc.

While a human was running the user script against James with a specific
client app, a mailet would capture the _exact_ stream from the client and
store it, along with the James return stream for each action in the script.

When someone makes changes to James, they would start up james, then run the
simulator, which would simulate the client actions by playing back the
stored stream for each action.  The return stream from James would be
checked against expected results, and deviations could be considered bugs.

It would be fairly easy to expand both the set of actions and the clients
recorded.  It would also likely be a fast test, so someone could run a dozen
or more clients against their new James to determine the stability of the
change before every checkin.

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@apache.org>.
Harmeet,
Can you turn this into a HowToTestNNTP.txt and stick it in cvs? I'm sure
other people would have the same question.
Charles

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

RE: Python for testing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Kenny,

> I looked at BaseTest and SMTPTest, but I'm a little confused. I don't
> see any methods in them that start with "test" which I thought was how
> a junit TestCase works

Most of the tests that I've looked at are external, ad hoc, and drive James
by acting as a protocol client.

	--- Noel

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Harmeet,

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
From: "Kenny Smith" <ke...@journalscape.com>
> I looked over the ProtocolSimulator and I have some questions. What is
> it primarily used for? For example, is it used for stress testing or
> functional testing (or both?)

It was for RFC compliance and simulating specific client interactions.
Repetions and stress test arguments were added to make it easier to crank up
the load and expose problems that may be stess related.

The idea was
- Get script input from RFC or snoop on traffic, say using tcpdump-ethereal.
- Generalize and code validation using PERL REGEX. Most of the validation
may be check for response code and test for protocol compliance.
- Make it easy to add a large number of validation in a tester friendly
manner. Basically one could read RFC, generate assertions and document
assertions as protcol simultion. This would give valid and coded testcases
without any need to write code.

> I'm personally inclined to just write junit tests that excersize the
> different SMTP command sequences, but I'm interested to know what
> thought processes and whatnot have already gone on that has shown that
> approach to be lacking.

This is a good approach. I just found it more work. Wrote the SMTPTest in
JUnit that is checked in and the smtp protocol simulation test. I have been
trying to find the most elegant and low cost approach to testing and have
been going to and fro. Try things out yourself, and see what works best for
you. Junit is a good safe choice.

Harmeet

RE: Python for testing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I looked over the ProtocolSimulator and I have some questions. What is
> it primarily used for? For example, is it used for stress testing or
> functional testing (or both?)

I think that the primary need, at first, is functional testing.  Including
multiple sessions, but not necessarily stress testing at first.  We want to
make sure that the RFCs are handled properly.

FWIW, I use Russell Coker's postal (http://www.coker.com.au/postal/) to
stress test the SMTP side of James.

	--- Noel

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Harmeet,

I looked over the ProtocolSimulator and I have some questions. What is
it primarily used for? For example, is it used for stress testing or
functional testing (or both?)

I'm personally inclined to just write junit tests that excersize the
different SMTP command sequences, but I'm interested to know what
thought processes and whatnot have already gone on that has shown that
approach to be lacking. Or perhaps that approach wasn't found to be
lacking, the current one was just the preferred at the time. :)

I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before I jump in so
that I can use the knowledge gained from past experiences.

Thanks,
Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

RE: Python for testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
> Fair enough.  :-)

*phew* :)

> Great!  Want to take a look at the RFCs, the current tests and
> the handlers?

You bet.

> What areas of the protocols are you interested in?
> For example, there are various extensions to SMTP that we ought
> to consider adding to the handlers. Also, we need to make some
> changes to the SMTP handler to properly handle the buffering and
> pipelining issue raised a few weeks ago.  If you aren't
> interested in those, OK, what floats _your_ boat?

I don't really have a specific area to focus on, but SMTP is at least a
protocol I use, so I can get excited about it. :) I'm going to spend some
time looking over the structure Harmeet already has (and I'm sure asking him
a bunch of questions) and I'll xref with the RFCs. :)

Kenny

RE: Python for testing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Kenny,

> I really want to help out and I know that if I try to
> work on something NNTP related that I won't really be
> interested and won't give it my all. :/

Fair enough.  :-)

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
Hi Noel,

I don't really know anything about the NNTP protocol and to be truely
honest I'm not really interested in it. I think usenet is a terrible
thing in fact. :) So, I would probably not enjoy helping much on that
bit. It's selfish yes, but I really want to help out and I know that if
I try to work on something NNTP related that I won't really be
interested and won't give it my all. :/

I would be much more interested in SMTP or POP, I saw Harmeet's message
about the tests that are already in CVS. I was going to look at those
tonight.

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

RE: Python for testing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Kenny,

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.

Re: Python for testing

Posted by Kenny Smith <ke...@journalscape.com>.
I've been getting into junit a lot recently, and loving it. I would love
to help out with writing some junit protocol tests. Or come to think of
it, I wonder if junit.org already has some premade smtp or pop junit
tests. I'll take a look, but I doubt they have them.

Is anyone working on junit tests that I should collaborate with or shall
I charge boldly forward?

Kenny Smith
JournalScape.com

Python for testing

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Tag

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
James is finally out. :-)

The first thing I'd like to write tests and fix for NNTP for a point
release.

Have been looking at a few options for tests. Here is dump.

- Protocol Simulator for testing RFC compilance.
Problem is that it is that tests cannot be easily extended - no
functions/objects.

- Writing JUnit test like POP3Test/SMTPTest under testing. This requires a
good nntp client library.
Problem is lack of good NNTP Client library. There is nntp under
commons-sandbox net module but it is not complete. One could work and make
it more complete.

- Other scripting languages like Python.
Python has a an excellent nntp client library. I could write good tests in a
short span of time. I was thinking of using jython.
One problem is the distribution and environment to run tests. If we
distribute jython there is distribution bloat, if we don't the onus is on
the person running tests. This may be easier if we are bundling python for
say mailets. jython does provide a very powerful and interactive environment
and I believe(I thought I saw this) Avalon embeds it too.

Python seems to be the most productive way forward. I was wondering what
everybody thought. I am most inclined to have good tests written and working
in python and not add any python libraries to the distribution. After that
work on improving nntp library under commons-sandbox and then converting to
junit if need be. Alternatively write Junit tests in Jython, but again to
run these tests, python libraries would be required.

One interesting thing is that Python has a good IMAP Client
library.commons-sandbox does not have an IMAP library. Jython may be a good
choice to test IMAP too.

thoughts,
Harmeet

Re: Tag

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> Serge,
> Have you tagged/branched cvs yet?
> d.

Yeah sorry, did so about an hour ago but hadn't gotten a chance to email
everyone yet.

There is a tag of build_2_1_fcs and a branch of branch_2_1_fcs in CVS now.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies