Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by Thomas Kettenbach <ke...@prostep.de> on 2001/12/17 11:29:59 UTC

Testing servlet chains

Hi,

i read in a response to this list, that every test case is a unique one,
and you need to maintain a correct environment before each test.
I have a project were i need to test some servlets which depend
on each other.

Can anybody give me some suggestions how i could do that?

Best regards,
Thomas

RE: Testing servlet chains

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Thomas,

Yes, each test case must be independent one from another. This is seen
from the client point of view. However, on the server side, there is no
issue having a servlet that calls another.

Imagine the following scenario :

public void testXXX()
{
  MyServlet1 servlet1 = new MyServlet1();
  Servlet1.methodToTest();
}

And MyServlet1.methodToTest() calls another servlet/JSP/... by doing a
forward.

This works fine.

Now, if instead of doing a forward, you're doing a redirect, the
response will be sent back to the client side and the result you'll get
in endXXX() is the redirect response, not the end response. Why ?
Because the goal of Cactus is not to do end to end functional tests but
rather unit tests. For functional tests, you could do that with HttpUnit
for example.

Note: Internally, this is because Cactus set the "do not redirect" flag
on the HttpURLConnection it uses to connect to the server side.
Providing a way for the user to override this would be possible.
However, I believe it would break the focus of Cactus on unit tests. If
we get enough votes for that, we may add it in future versions.

Thanks
-Vincent